Dollywobbler's Daewoo Dalliances - Matiz mostly HOME!

dollywobbler

Back in 2005, I had use of a loan car while my Isuzu Trooper was (badly) serviced. It was most intriguing. It was a 2002 Daewoo Matiz that had escaped the facelift.

Dm7JQgRWwAAbrHJ.jpg

Perhaps the most amazing thing was the PCV-spec seating.

Dm7JQgAXgAE0-bn.jpg

Now, the Matiz was made in a great many countries, including Poland, Romania, Uzbekistan and Iran for starters. This one was certainly unlike any I'd seen in the UK. A very odd spec, with the SE-spec spoiler, but steel wheels and, I think manual windows.

It seems to have vanished from the DVLA record, which makes tracing the chassis number seem unlikely - that'd give away where it was made. So, has anyone else ever seen a Matiz like it? I'm pretty sure that the facelift did not make it to all factories, certainly not at the same time.

Incidentally, the first gen pre-facelift is an M100 JUST LIKE A LOTUS. 

Daewoo_Matiz_20090815_front.JPG

Then some idiots who thought they were better than Giugiaro in the UK reckoned they could do a better job, leading to the M150. They were wrong. These monstrosities came to the UK in 2000, just two years after the original.

matiz.jpg

EDIT

I'm going to merge my Daewoo Matiz into this one, leaving the Rover to its own thread.

To recap, in 1999, I bought a Daewoo Matiz brand new. Here it is at my old house, with a familiar 2CV.

Di4xpfGXoAA3ch7.jpg

I bought it back in July this year!

Dh2fFtXXcAErPDu.jpg

In early August, the Matiz was collected by a friend of mine for a fettling session.

DkGPuylWwAAdK6u.jpg

On 23rd August, I went to check on things.

DlSXy_4XcAA5tyh.jpg

I'm collecting it this Saturday!

Back in 2005, I had use of a loan car while my Isuzu Trooper was (badly) serviced. It was most intriguing. It was a 2002 Daewoo Matiz that had escaped the facelift.

Perhaps the most amazing thing was the PCV-spec seating.

Dm7JQgAXgAE0-bn.jpg

Now, the Matiz was made in a great many countries, including Poland, Romania, Uzbekistan and Iran for starters. This one was certainly unlike any I'd seen in the UK. A very odd spec, with the SE-spec spoiler, but steel wheels and, I think manual windows.

It seems to have vanished from the DVLA record, which makes tracing the chassis number seem unlikely - that'd give away where it was made. So, has anyone else ever seen a Matiz like it? I'm pretty sure that the facelift did not make it to all factories, certainly not at the same time.

Incidentally, the first gen pre-facelift is an M100 JUST LIKE A LOTUS. 

Then some idiots who thought they were better than Giugiaro in the UK reckoned they could do a better job, leading to the M150. They were wrong. These monstrosities came to the UK in 2000, just two years after the original.

I sat in a first generation Matiz when they were sold from shops rather than a conventional dealership.  I liked it, vaguely recalling the upholstery as being similar to your second photo but I cannot remember external details.  I did not buy one because it was not available with an automatic gearbox. 

Was it late registration madness, where it had sat around for a while before getting its 02 plate, and possibly a parts bin special in the run up to the facelift?

Registered in Northampton, and Daewoo Ltd has/had an address there? Although, that may just be the local dealer.

Was it late registration madness, where it had sat around for a while before getting its 02 plate, and possibly a parts bin special in the run up to the facelift?

Registered in Northampton, and Daewoo Ltd has/had an address there? Although, that may just be the local dealer.

The garage was in Northampton. I should have asked at the time. Oh well!

Plate does come up here: https://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk/?vrm=ku02wcj

DAEWOO MATIZ SE 2002

Registration number: KU02WCJ

Body type: 5 Door Hatchback

Colour: Red

Date of first registration: March 2002

There used to be a BMW site that would give the VIN number (for any make of car) if you put in the reg number but not sure if that still works.

I had a four pot Matiz as a courtesy car not long after crashing my C4. It was dire.

The hire car company tried to take it back early twice; their service op was so rude I drove it to work in second.

For 7 miles.

Along the M56.

Interesting that the courtesy car has gained body coloured mirrors, too. Believe that was SE Plus only at the time.

I had a very early 1998 S plate Matiz for 10 years. Absolutely loved it, it was brilliant. A friend commented that it "sounded like a Porsche". I think he was being kind, but the 3 cylinder engine did have a nice note to it.

I fell on hard times and, due to an unfortunate series of events, it had to go after a couple of years off the road due to a minor fault. I was lucky in that Car Mechanics magazine took it on a project car. Sadly, having done very few miles since it left my ownership, it seems to have been scrapped fairly recently. I'd be interested to know what happened to it.

I adore Daewoos, and I intend to make one my next car. Especially the Nexia, being their earliest gift to the UK market alongside the Espero.

The M100 looks like a happy little car, and I've never seen upholstery like that in any other Matiz, nor a preface that late. eBay/AutoTrader/etc hunts have shown me that they'd all pretty much changed to an M150 by the Y reg. I would say that the particular Matiz there is some ultra run-off special.

Let's not forget that the M150 also costs nigh on £200 to tax.

I adore Daewoos

Only on AS.

Fun fact: the Matiz came out of a rejected Italdesign proposal to restyle the Cinquecento: the 1993 Lucciola.

VSy3KwG.jpg

This is one example of a design living on under a Far Eastern manufacturer after a European maker passed on it. Please note: this is not what happened with the Isuzu Piazza.

The Kensington was also said to have influenced Daewoo's Leganza heavily; I wish they'd have made the Bucrane happen. The (non-running) Musiro ended up going through Brightwells if memory serves. 

I'd love a go of a Espero - I reckon they'd drive like a pickled Mk2 Cavalier with soggier seats.

Matiz are brilliant little cars, until they became Chevys! My sadly missed wife had three of them, all brand new, a 'W' reg SE plus, an '02' SE plus and an 07 highest spec but 4 cylinder 1000 cc.

The first two were brilliant and sounded great, got thrashed constantly and loved it. Used to get a bit sideways if cornering fast over bumps which always made me laugh, but they are not meant to be sportscars. First one did 17000 miles in 14 months and apart from the clutch getting a bit hot and slippy when waiting to get out of a car boot sale, never gave a moments bother. Traded it in for a new KIA Rio SE (1.5 with air con and loads of goodies, I think ours was the only one Kia ever sold!) which was a ... mistake!

The third one (1000cc 4 cyl) was awful and had loads of problems and just felt like a cheaper car all round (imagine!), it lasted less than a year with her before it got sold and was replaced by a new Colt.

I'll always remember a lady driving her Matiz into the garage where I was working, complaining of a noise from the rear. The mechanic went to drive it on the ramp only for the wheel bearing to fail, spitting the wheel off to one side and the brakedrum still bolted to the wheel by the wheel nuts.

I've never tried one but the Hyundai Atoz we had as a hack was a great little car.

FWIW, the Chevy four pot I was given had the worst lift-off oversteer I've ever encountered in a city car.

Its replacement was a C1, which I adored. Poor thing spent most of its life near the rev limiter so I could hear it roar.

Not a fan of the Chevy era. Or the four-pot. Like you in the C1, my Matiz suffered me thrashing the knackers of it because it sounded so good. Probably explains why I struggled to better 40mpg. It has made it to 88,000 miles so far, so my heavy foot thankfully doesn't seem to have caused lasting damage.

I agree. Still don't know why I didn't choose Copper Orange. metallics were free!

Anyway, the day started like this.

post-3690-0-14545000-1537032669_thumb.jpg

A friend tipped me off about a motor factors. I found hose. We got the Matiz running again, and I went to another factor that actually had a battery in stock. The old one was venting horribly!

Then I went back to where I bought this car 19 years ago!

post-3690-0-98414200-1537032844_thumb.jpg

Good times.