Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Xtriple does it again... folly, folly, woe is me!

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,846 posts
  • 94 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

Lost this thread again... to answer a question asked above: I paid £3000 for it. The guy wanted £5000 but needed the cash and that was all I wanted to pay (or could afford!). I have so far spent about £300 on bits and pieces for her and I am getting there with her. Would still be soooo much easier if I could get it in the garage...

Holy smokes! You are the real life Mike Brewer.

Want to swap for a 2008 Audi TT coupé? :D

Far more economical, probably quicker but nowhere near as nice sounding. Also bit of a feminine car like an MX5 is. On that basis I can understand if you say no. :)
  • xtriple likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#182 OFFLINE   xtriple

xtriple

German is better than English!

• Full Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationTorquay Devon

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

Riding around in Jaguar based splendour has made me reminisce somewhat. I met up with Mark at the park and he was surprised at the XJ-S as, although he knew I'd bought a Jaguar, he thought it was a big saloon. I don't know why it's taken me so long to get a Jaguar as I was utterly addicted to them for decades but the Mercs happened. Don't get me wrong, I do love Mercs but they feel very different to our dear old British bruisers :)

My first one was a 1964 'S' type 3,8 manual. This was when I was 15 and the car cost me £50! Bear in mind, the car was then only ten years old and already a worthless old banger! I never did drive it with any degree of legality but I did drive it quite a bit, it was a wonderful old heap with 4 bald tyres, a blowing exhaust and rampant rust underneath though the pale blue bodywork was remarkably good. Dark blue leather was nice as well and apart from the bald tyres, rust, exhaust, the wire wheels with worn out splines its galloping desire to use the world's supply of 20/50 on a daily basis, it was a good car. :) I got home from school one day and there it was, gone! My beloved Mother had sold it. Worse she kept the cash she got for it for 'driveway rent'. No wonder I was never that fond of the old dear.

The second one was my 1965 MK X 4.2 auto (FJU 99C) I had that car for nearly a decade and it was on the road all the time apart from one year when it got pretty comprehensively restored - it needed it as the rear suspension was falling out and the sills, which looked fine, were rotten, which explains why the scar across my forehead exists after the damn thing fell on my head! It was a really reliable car and did galactic mileage in my care and even after it lost 1st gear it carried on for another year or two using 'D2' on the selector.

While I had the MK X I lived in a place called Shepshed and 50 yards up the road was a garage/showroom that had been a Jaguar dealer before BL took them over. They had declined to have anything to do with BL but still dealt with Jaguars. I got on really well with the head mechanic there and on my days off, used to help out doing the running around, usually in a selection of series one XJ 6s. They had a really nice pale yellow series one 2.8 manual with red leather and I drove that car miles, it was a cracker and went well though I was under instructions to 'cane the arse off it' as otherwise, they burn out pistons if burbled and then caned down the motorway.

In about 1981 I bought a Squadron blue XJ 4.2 (that's how it was badged) a series two car but really, a series two and threequarters car! Apart from the bodywork and the fuel injection, it was all Series three which caused endless problems when it needed spares - it took H A Fox 5 attempts to get the correct water pump for it as it was an S3 part on an S2 car. Bloody BL sticking any old bits on their heaps! It was a 'T' reg car and came from the Ford main dealers in Plymouth where it had been traded in for a Granada. I loved that car with a passion, my first car bought on finance and only a couple of years old, I felt like 'Billy Big Bollocks' with that car! It was really reliable as well, granted the water pump went and one of the tanks played up but other than that, it was spot on.

I traded it in for a white 1980 XJ-S V12. It was coming up to 4 years old, came from H A Fox (the Jaguar main dealers in Plymouth) and even though it was a pre H.E. and therefore the worst car Jaguar ever built, I never had a single problem with it, other than the rear seat area filling up with water (rear screen seals TADTS) and a flat battery once in the snow and the fact it would really have liked to dissolve back to ferrous oxide rather than remain shiny steel, it was great. Fuel consumption was entirely bloody awful and it cost about a tenner a day in petrol and a tenner a day back then was a lot of fuel! Incidentally, I didn't go to the garage for fuel every day, that's just what it averaged out at.

More if anyone cares :)

• Spottedlaurel, colc, privatewire and 10 others like this

#183 OFFLINE   yellowperil

yellowperil

• Full Members
  • 238 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

More, please.
  • Stevebrookman likes this

#184 OFFLINE   Stevebrookman

Stevebrookman

• Full Members
  • 544 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Location1980's

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

More please!

Vauxhall Royale Coupe 3.0i

Opel Senator CD 3.0E

Ford Sierra 2.0GLX

#185 OFFLINE   stonedagain

stonedagain

• Full Members
  • 541 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

More please!

#186 OFFLINE   MorrisItalSLX

MorrisItalSLX

• Full Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • Location53 Miles West Of Venus

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:56 AM

More please!

With pictures if you have them please mister!
Daily Driver - 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign, woft-a-matic
Former Daily - 1999 Hyundai Sonata bASe, RIP. 1999-2016

#187 OFFLINE   Cheggers

Cheggers

• Full Members
  • 4,576 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationPortsmouth, the posh part

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:35 AM

More please!
I had my photo taken with REM. That's me in the corner...

#188 OFFLINE   DaveDorson

DaveDorson

• Full Members
  • 951 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:05 AM

Please sir, can we have some more?
  • Stevebrookman likes this

#189 OFFLINE   fatharris

fatharris

• Full Members
  • 1,528 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

Definitely more.

#190 OFFLINE   yellowperil

yellowperil

• Full Members
  • 238 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

Worst encore, ever!

#191 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

I don't watch much Television

• Full Members
  • 6,075 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBut I hear Breaking Bad is very good

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

He didn’t even do “Vienna”. I want my money back!
  • yellowperil likes this

#192 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,256 posts
  • 176 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

MoAR!

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

#193 OFFLINE   xtriple

xtriple

German is better than English!

• Full Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationTorquay Devon

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:49 AM

Oh, okay, I thought it would bore you all :)

The white XJ-S was, incidentally, the car we were in when I called at the chemists to get my wifes pregnancy test results, it was positive, I blame the car, it even made me lose my knickers a few times :) 

• Parky, tooSavvy, dome and 3 others like this

#194 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,256 posts
  • 176 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

I just saw this on FB & figured it belongs on this thread.

XJS Advert.jpg

• Skizzer likes this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users