Sold

phil_lihp

Not quite live thread update! Rural Hampshire in shite 3g coverage shocker! Pages 8-11, 37, 396 and 412-1087. I'll be writing to my MP about this.

So, knocked off work, jumped in Slarti's lolvo and roved off up the A3 in style. We drove up to Oakhanger, a nice village nestling in the picturesque and frequently remodelled at taxpayer's expense Longmoor Ranges and I expertly naviagted us to some guy with a massive RV's front garden. After a quick phone call, we drove down the road another few hundred yards to where we were actually supposed to be.

It was pretty choddy TBH

post-5525-0-74978200-1536957753_thumb.jpg

SLAMT

Slarti enquired about it and was told it had shat its timing chain because plastic. The guy seemed displeased with it. I think it might be donating parts to another less knackered looking one nearby.

post-5525-0-87839100-1536957829_thumb.jpg

5 (I think) RR classics or whatever they are.

We poured dino juice into the SEAT

post-5525-0-45922600-1536957886_thumb.jpg

Then had some lolz trying to get any kind of phone reception to get Phil_lihp's address to fill in the V5 with. Eventually the guy admitted he had wireless that we could connect to and I got the deets for him. Then we sorted out the tacks for it (the last step) and I checked for fluids after handing over some pictures of the queen.

post-5525-0-69966500-1536957998_thumb.jpg

recent oil, some coolant, spare tyre under the bonnet like all winner-mobiles.

Turned it over and it fired right up. Matey selling it said it ran well, but the brakes "rewarded a good shove"

And off we went!

The car ran really well, a surprisingly willing engine, powering a light car made progress swift, gears were found in the porridge pot that was connected to the gearstick, including an episode up a hill where I had an awful lot of trouble finding third and by the time it was located had lost so much speed I had to go back into second anyway. Slarti said the reverse lights kept coming on!

Indicators worked, I couldn't figure out the lights until Slarti found the rocker switch on the dash which made it all work.

Petrel was found!

post-5525-0-93129200-1536958274_thumb.jpg

And paid for. I also got a scratchcard and won my money back. Cha Ching indeed.

Then we set off for the work carpark for the SEAT to call its home for a few days. This involved the A272 which is a cracking road, light was fading and I still hadn't figured out the lights yet so I drove it along as quickly as my knowledge of the road would allow.

Soon enough we arrived back at Marbella HQ, having needed only the pez from the emergency kit

post-5525-0-29648300-1536958449_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-60943700-1536958462_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-26433300-1536958476_thumb.jpg

Overall its a great little car, surprisingly willing engine, great handling if a bit bumpy with the cart springs at the back, light steering, unassisted of course. the lights work. It has a single wiper for bonus DW points and while its a bit crusty (you can see the road through one bit of floor) overal its not bad.

What does have to be said though is that the brakes are terrifying, bum-clenchingly, OMGWEREALLGONNADIE ineffective. mashing the pedal to the foor elicits a barely perceptible reduction in motion, think 'driving into a very gentle breeze' and you're about there. Braking requires a lot of forethought and the use of the gearbox, but it does eventually stop. eventually.

Luckily the roads were quiet, and I knew them pretty well so we got back without an issue, at one point I was doing a sustained 60mph (indicated) which Slarti reckoned was an indicated 55mph in his lolvo which was following behind. Nothing fell off, and the engine seems happy. It'll stay with us for a little while, and we'll organise the next leg of the journey to chez Phil_lihp.

23/11.7. Fun car, would like to drive again, Not on a motorway, or anywhere that sudden braking is required though.

Huge thanks to Stanky and Slarti for this, they've been brilliantly helpful and resourceful in the face of my lack of communication due to Scottish remoteness.

A brief phone conversation with them last night included the phrase 'absolutely terrifying' so I'm even more keen to get behind the wheel now.

More to come once I'm back next week, collection mission stage 2 countdown has begun...

I took it for a spin round the block and the brakes were so non-existent and my grasp of the concept of a manual gearbox so much diminished from driving only autos for six months that I headed back to base quick sharp before something went wrong.

It's a hilarious little car. Gets up to speed very quickly. Clutch is grabby, throttle is very sensitive. Steering is good. It's very chuckable. I'm rather jealous.

I love how that clock has a dedicated button to reset the seconds when it doesn't display seconds.

That's not what it does. It resets the minutes to zero, so if it's 12:25 and is reading incorrect at 12:30, you can reset to 12:00 to save a few seconds of button pressing and get you to the correct number more quickly. Got to love the Japanese!

I'm truly amazed at you lot, I certainly won't stand in your way but don't feel you have to! I would guess lack of use and seized calipers probably a fair bet.

The braking that happens certainly seems to be even, if not effective. Also there is no binding, with an engine this size it would be very apparent if that was the case. Also dead easy to push around.