Matty's stuff - Golf gone

Matty

• 1 month later...

Shiters assemble!!! ( In the style of him off that film). The BMW is going to bed for the winter at the end of next week. It's living on the drive till spring and apart from the obvious (battery off and on a trickle charger, handbreak off etc) I need advice. Judging from the commodious fleets people on here have, what steps do you take when laying a car up?

Obvs I don't want to create jobs come spring apart from what I already know about so any advice welcomed and needed! I'm reckoning about mid/end of march once the feckers have stopped salting. Thanks in advance lads.

I’d take it for a good run before you lay it up to dry out the exhaust. Change the oil if it’s not been done for 6 months or more. Over inflate the tyres to help prevent flat spotting. I’d invest in something like a ctek which you can leave connected to the car, but that’s belt and braces. It’ll be fine for 6 months ish!

Leave a north facing window down a crack, to reduce mould. Couple of silica pads too, if you have them.

Ram a potato over the end of each exhaust pipe, to prevent damp ( post it note on steering wheel to remind)

I fill the fuel tank, or leave it on fumes. Handbrake off, wheels chocked, in gear.

Bonnet ajar, batt disconnected one side, or remove to keep warm .

Antifreeze or drain (if drained, post it note!)

And do it on a dry day- makes one hell of a difference.

I use two of these inside each car over winter, one normally sat on the dash or similar (where it wont fall over!) and one in the back somewhere. Keeps damp air and mould at bay.

Get these type refillable ones and you can reuse them each year by just buying a refill bag of crystals.

Just an example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-INTERIOR-REFILLABLE-DEHUMIDIFIER-MOULD-MILDEW-DAMP-MOISTURE-CAR-HOME-1L/371552228375?epid=1457857603&hash=item56823d1417:g:p0UAAOSwWTRWvJxu

Fuel (petrol) tanks worry me when laying up: which is best, leave them empty and there is likely to be condensation adding moisture to whatever fuel is in there or fill them up and end up with a tank full of stale fuel. Also, do they not change the stuff that comes out of the pump for different seasons?

Diesels are much easier, just adding a shot of debugger seems to work in my little used sailing boat.

Fuel (petrol) tanks worry me when laying up: which is best, leave them empty and there is likely to be condensation adding moisture to whatever fuel is in there or fill them up and end up with a tank full of stale fuel.

In my experience, 6 month old petrol doesn't pose a problem for starting (so I always brim for a winter lay-up), but I don't know at what age it may start to be a issue. I sometimes treat with a fuel stabiliser but have not noticed any effects either way.

• 2 weeks later...

It lives and breathes! As does my potatoe cam style of picture taking. Battery back on first crack of key and ready to tackle winter. Even getting out of the BMW I always wanted I forget how much I love this old shit heap. Loud as fuck as well which I sort of forgotten about. And everything still works. Mark threes are shite aren't they...

post-26137-0-63857800-1540416586_thumb.jpg

In other news, does anyone on here have any tips for getting a bonded spoiler off a tailgate? Put a new (old) tailgate on the bloo golf today but the old one has the otptional boot spoiler on which I want to swap over. Windscreen wire did fuck all but hurt. Any ideas lads?

• 1 month later...

Having mother in law's fiesta collected tomorrow. £140 (I shit you not) up from £126 a few weeks ago. So my question is this. How the fuck is anyone placing that value in a fucked Mk5 fiesta? It has little or no value in parts, won't pass another MOT and as I deal with scrap metals all the time I know there's about £60 of steel in it. So what's the catch? All they ask is that it's accessable, free from major damage and summative else I can't remember. Basically I'll plait sawdust while showing my arse in Burton's window if I draw the full £140 for it.

However I've been known to be wrong often. So has anyone on here used them and were they singing the same tune when they turned up?

Having mother in law's fiesta collected tomorrow. £140 (I shit you not) up from £126 a few weeks ago. So my question is this. How the fuck is anyone placing that value in a fucked Mk5 fiesta? It has little or no value in parts, won't pass another MOT and as I deal with scrap metals all the time I know there's about £60 of steel in it. So what's the catch? All they ask is that it's accessable, free from major damage and summative else I can't remember. Basically I'll plait sawdust while showing my arse in Burton's window if I draw the full £140 for it.

However I've been known to be wrong often. So has anyone on here used them and were they singing the same tune when they turned up?

Nice! Sounds like it's time to scrap the Ka. Weak £ helping?

They're quoting £122 collected. That's more than I paid for it with an MOT! Shame I can't drive it in - would get £140.

Let us know how you get on...

Nice! Sounds like it's time to scrap the Ka. Weak £ helping?

They're quoting £122 collected. That's more than I paid for it with an MOT! Shame I can't drive it in - would get £140.

Let us know how you get on...

Aye will do. Thought that was wierd as well, they're offering more to pick it up than drive it in (only a fiver mind but still)

Basically I'll plait sawdust while showing my arse in Burton's window if I draw the full £140 for it.

And we'll pay the same to watch  :lol:

But seriously...  CTB offered 260 sheets for my sister's dead Corolla Verso back in August - and paid it without a problem!  I suspect it's now plying the mean streets of Mombasa with a stir-it-yourself gearbag conversion.

I don't think I've ever heard a CTB horror story - they only act as the intermediary anyway, the scrappy that turns up will probably just check it's got something catalyst-shaped in the exhaust and you've not filled it with paint cans and plutonium. Would be worth checking the history in a few weeks to see if it's been exported.