1990 Mercedes 190 West Midlands £600

theorganist

I have a strange electrical issue with my Mercedes 190E if anyone on here has any ideas I would be very pleased and grateful.

Firstly the rear OS electric window has been dodgy for some time, working on the door switch intermittently but on the centre console switch all the time. Today a friend opened it from the door switch but it would not go back up either with the door switch or the console switch, at this stage the other windows worked. Anyway I tried various methods of banging on the door panel and wiggling the switch but it still wouldn't work. I got home and decided we would try again, now not only does that window not work but all the other windows have stopped working too and also the booster fan for some bizarre reason.

Some time ago the central locking stopped working, it is a vacuum system, however I did check the fuses and the one for the CL was okay, however fuse number 1 had blown (however that is for AC which mine hasn't got so I discounted it). Back to today I checked the fuses again, the window switches are fuses 7 and 9 (different ratings though!) both are fine as are all the others except fuse no 1. So I thought maybe fuse no 1 is not what it purports to be so changed it, no effect, although I thought that with a German car is fuse no 1 says it is for AC then that is what fuse no 1 shall be!

So does anyone with a greater knowledge of car electrics than me (not a great feat tbh) have any ideas?

As an aside I have been thinking of changing the Mercedes, it is lovely to drive but I seem to be constantly putting petrol in it, and with the Maxi on the horizon I think I should have something slightly more modern and certainly cheaper to run (which probably means I will end up with neither of those), so if anyone is interested in purchasing this slightly flawed piece of German engineering or has a suitable (or not) swap then let me know. It runs well but currently has this electrical fault, CL not working and needs the OS door mirror fixing as someone who cannot navigate a vehicle through a 10 foot gap has broken it!

Thanks.

Pics, price and location?? Mercedes electrics for the windows are prone to going a bit nuts. Both my 190's had intermittent faults. One was door contact switches im sure and the other was a knackered regulator. I might have a vacuum pump i could post to swap over and either fix the central locking...or rule it out

Pics, price and location?? Mercedes electrics for the windows are prone to going a bit nuts. Both my 190's had intermittent faults. One was door contact switches im sure and the other was a knackered regulator. I might have a vacuum pump i could post to swap over and either fix the central locking...or rule it out

Location is the West Midlands near Birmingham, I haven't thought of a price as I haven't given it much thought as I was only mulling over selling it but I think today has made my mind up! Attached are some photo's from when I had it two years ago, I can get some more detailed ones if required. It hasn't changed much although needs a good wash.

It has done 101,000 miles and has MOT till July.

post-4172-0-15186700-1536508458_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-25746600-1536508503_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-21412600-1536508542_thumb.jpg

Price wise - I paid £1450 for my 1989 190. 90,000 miles and every receipt and invoice; even the order form and correspondence between Mercedes and buyer. It is a 9/10 Car - in very good condition indeed.

Yours is also a very good one. I think I got mine a touch cheap - so if I owned yours, I’d start around £1800-£2000. Brown cloth is quite rare and very period. You will find a nice chap in red trousers and children in a good school who want something like this.

GLWS. If you can get the issues sorted first then you’ll make a sale an awful lot easier.

Price wise - I paid £1450 for my 1989 190. 90,000 miles and every receipt and invoice; even the order form and correspondence between Mercedes and buyer. It is a 9/10 Car - in very good condition indeed.

Yours is also a very good one. I think I got mine a touch cheap - so if I owned yours, I’d start around £1800-£2000. Brown cloth is quite rare and very period. You will find a nice chap in red trousers and children in a good school who want something like this.

GLWS. If you can get the issues sorted first then you’ll make a sale an awful lot easier.

Thanks for that. It is in good condition and has quite a lot of history up till around 2012 ish but it by no means is FSH and certainly not as comprehensive than yours. I may try and get the issues sorted, certainly I can change the CL pump and fix the mirror. It depends on time and money and both are in short supply at the moment, particularly as I shall hopefully have the Maxi on the road in the next few weeks and the bill to go with it!

I'd possibly swap for the touring if it's any interest. Fancy something else. It's done galactic miles though.

That aside, I saw this ad:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mercedes-benz/mercedes-190e-oldschool-/1310643064

Something about requiring a new earth, common fault blah blah...

Interesting advert, I don't think mine even operate with the door open, will double check.

Well I wouldn't mind another BMW, not sure how much more economical than mine it would be. How many miles has it done?

It's coming up to 180 thousand and showing no signs of giving up anytime soon. Scrap the idea anyway. I've just done over a tonne in it and the bonnet badge blew off... There's no way I'd swap a defective vehicle.

It's the most economical car I own, but then my other 2 cars total seven and a half litres together. You'll get 400 miles to a tank at 65 quid brimmed if you drive it all nice and gingerly like, which I don't...ever.

That really is a lush colour scheme.....You might be on the right track with the fusebox.   Had a load of issues with mine when I first got it, apparently it was off the road for a good while before I bought it.   Lots of damp/corrosion on the actual fuse contacts.   Replacing with a new fuse didn't always work until I had cleaned up the contacts.   Mind you, one of the reasons I bought my particular car was the Windy Miller windows....

I have decided I will be selling the Mercedes.

I will get some up to date photo's over the weekend but it hasn't changed much since I had it 2 years ago. The MOT is till June 2019.

It drives well and is very smooth and comfortable. It has had new ball joints last year, a new exhaust this year and transmission fluid change, as well as an engine oil change. The interior is quite a rare colour I believe.

The bad points are:

There is a fault in the wire between the fuse box and centre console my garage has found that much out, therefore none of the windows work and the rear offside is stuck halfway open (this window has been dodgy for some time). The booster fan is also not working.

The central locking is not working, I believe this to be the pump which is under the rear seat, a new one can be bought on ebay.

The drivers door mirror was hit by a passing car and needs new glass and putting back together properly, at the moment it is taped up (not very Mercedes like). I don't know whether it would be easier to get a new mirror.

The main reason for selling is, that as lovely as it is I cannot afford to run it at the moment. It is quite thirsty and I seem to be visiting petrol stations a lot more regularly than I would like. I have the Maxi to pay for in a few weeks (I hope) and therefore don't want to be spending money on this, I know nothing about car electrics so am not going to attempt to fix it myself, quite frankly I do not have the time either at the moment. I will purchase a cheap runaround to tide me over for a few months.

I would consider a swap for something like a cheap Clio, 307 etc.

If no interest on here I will likely put it on ebay.

Sorry to be THAT guy - and it’s not entirely because I have a vested interest in the market - but that’s a bit too cheap. Even for here.

I know it’s not without issues, but you could easily ask another couple of hundred - which will help a lot with the next buy.

By all means ignore me!

Aaaarghhhhh....temptation!! I agree with BI though, it is too cheap. In fact ive just been looking down the bk of the sofa trying to raise the cash lol. Would need to sell the Ka before i even thought about asking SWMBO. Glwts...it should go pretty quickly

ETA...swap ford ka and cash your way? Nah? Didnt think so haha

Great! Re pricing- I’m a fan of keen pricing for a sell on here if possible myself.

Selling cars can be an incredibly draining experience in the “real world” and selling to a shiter has always made it (in my experience) so much more preferable to fending off endless odd and irrelevant questions, no shows, calls after a month complaining the tyre has just got a puncture ETC.

Thanks for the comments re pricing. I have never been very good at valuing older cars especially when they have specific faults. As I was practically given the car in the first place I am not looking at making lots of money on it, I feel a little guilty about selling it at all but needs must and everything has happened at the wrong time. I have had some interest from here already, I will accept selling it on here for a little less maybe than I should ask, I would rather it went to someone on here. If nothing comes to fruition from here I will advertise it elsewhere at a higher price, which sounds rather perverse I guess. 

Aaaarghhhhh....temptation!! I agree with BI though, it is too cheap. In fact ive just been looking down the bk of the sofa trying to raise the cash lol. Would need to sell the Ka before i even thought about asking SWMBO. Glwts...it should go pretty quickly

ETA...swap ford ka and cash your way? Nah? Didnt think so haha

Thanks for the offer. I quite like Ford KA's but I am not sure they are totally me and I would like something a little bigger as I need something which fit mothers wheelchair in. I know the Maxi will fulfil that role but there may be times I cannot rely on it.

Thanks for the offer. I quite like Ford KA's but I am not sure they are totally me and I would like something a little bigger as I need something which fit mothers wheelchair in. I know the Maxi will fulfil that role but there may be times I cannot rely on it.

Not a problem. I love the wee ka....but i miss my 190! Bit of a dilemma here...i can afford the merc outright...but have no option to keep the two. I need to have a serious think about this one

Not a problem. I love the wee ka....but i miss my 190! Bit of a dilemma here...i can afford the merc outright...but have no option to keep the two. I need to have a serious think about this one

No you don’t.

Someone else will snap it up whilst you’re mulling it over.

GiB. List your car tonight.

;)

No you don’t.

Someone else will snap it up whilst you’re mulling it over.

GiB. List your car tonight.

;)

Ive grown fond of the Ka...and not sure im ready to let go of it so soon. Will probably wait and see what happens if the other interested party views it on saturday, and make a decision from there.