2001 Suzuki Wagon R - Sometimes for sale.

pandamonium

******EDIT****** No longer a wanted post, now a collection / ownership thread. (Probably a For sale / Roffle thread in a few months!)

Today's EDIT.... Told you so... 

Since deciding that modern car ownership is a bad idea, I'm going to be looking for a runaround for a few hundred quid, to hopefully last about 6 months...

Ideally will have a smallish engine for insuranceness.
Ideally 4 or more doors for child-friendliness.
And MOT for as many months as possible.

Will also need to be capable of 70+ mile round trips every weekend to collect my little boy. That's the whole reason for having a car at all really, otherwise I'd just walk to work.

There's lots of choice in your area on gumtree.

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-323-f-estate-car./1313053209

A bit above budget (£375), but it's the tax friendly 1.5 and has 10 months MOT. 

I'm not sure if small engines are really insurance friendly, I bet you could insure a low risk large engined car for less than a high risk small engined car. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to run umpteen cars through umpteen different insurance comparison sites.

Only thing I would say is that you have a better chance if you can find on here. On Gumtree and the like there will be good cars but also ones hiding issues that are being punted on. On here people are generally honest and if there are issues you will know before hand. This place is the only place I have ever bought a car unseen off.

Only thing I would say is that you have a better chance if you can find on here. On Gumtree and the like there will be good cars but also ones hiding issues that are being punted on. On here people are generally honest and if there are issues you will know before hand. This place is the only place I have ever bought a car unseen off.

The last car Pandamonium bought on here didn't turn out very well.

Surely the wee citroen c2 that was on here would have been perfect? Theres always good sound cars to be had. Im still tooling about in the ex jonathan-dyane ka i got for 250 quid an its no put a foot wrong. At that money i wouldnt be lookin anywhere other than on here tbh...no doubt theshadow will have something that fits the bill soon enough

I don’t remember that, what was it? But that can happen anywhere and even on cars the seller thinks are sound. But the odds of a wrong un are much less on here I think.

An end of life Civic.

I think it's easier to assess a local car sold by a stranger than a car sold in an online community that you might buy without checking thoroughly.

We all have different definitions of what's acceptable and what's not, and what we might overlook in a description to sell a car.

An end of life Civic.

I think it's easier to assess a local car sold by a stranger than a car sold in an online community that you might buy without checking thoroughly.

We all have different definitions of what's acceptable and what's not, and what we might overlook in a description to sell a car.

He should have kept hold of the Civic - it wasn't end of life by any means, I reckon it had another MOT in it, maybe 2. What's he going to get for £300? Yeah the shadow normally has something cheap and (I assume) reasonable up for grabs, but he's in Bolton, and Pandemonium is at least 200 miles from him. Ballacks, I regret selling that Scirocco now, t'was bloody ace I don't care what nobody says! BTW how's it coming along Matt?

I think the point is that someone on here is unlikely to 'intentionally' sell a dud. Whereas on the open market there are many unscrupulous sellers, always have been, who will hide terminal issues.

Mind you, I once bought a diesel Vauxhall Meriva in a car park in London, from someone who spoke little English and seemed very dodgy. It wasn't too bad after all...

And my last experience buying on here was no reflection on the seller, and I should have kept my mouth shut. I bought a cheap car with known issues and decided they were too bad for me to keep the car on the road. I just made the mistake of moaning about it on the forum...

An end of life Civic.

This is a rare occasion we disagree then, I would much rather buy off someone on here no matter whether it was a really cheap or more expensive car (for here). Whilst someone may overlook something on here (I have been subject to ‘old photos’ meaning it wasn’t quite as expected) or not be aware I doubt that more than a tiny tiny minority would actively deceive the way many do in the rest of the world when selling a car. And on here if someone is shown to be a shizer then they don’t hang around long. I can only remember one car where I thought the seller was being economic with the truth and I think a few people pointed that out fairly quickly and I am pretty sure that person didn’t stay on here long.

That Yaris is a fairly safe bet. We got one as a runabout for Wife_Stanky and its a cracking car. Ours has just rolled over 100k and there is nothing I'm aware of that would stop it doubling that innings.

They are surprisingly capacious, especially in 'van-mode' with the rear seats folded and flipped up. I've fitted myself, my 8 year old daughter and 3 lawnmowers in one on several occasions before. Cam chain engine too for peace of mind. Service bits are cheap and its easy to work on from what I've found.

Well worth a look IMHO.

EDIT - looking at the MOT history it's had a new exhaust front section and an ARB bush done 6 months ago, and got a completely clean ticket after that.

I will be looking to shift my leggy, rattly w203 soon, local breaker type place offering £285.

c270 cdi estate, so insurance is quite high. MOT until Jan, everything works, but various rattles and squeaks. It's got 250k on it, quite rusty (one hole, jacking point) tailgate rusty, rear plate held on with gaffer tape,I ripped off the surround when I locked the keys in the boot, plus I'm nicking the stereo. Oh, and the n/s wing mirror is broken, although I think the indicator in it still works.

It's not been touched for 2 months, currently SORN and not insured. I just need to swap the wheels off it to my other Merc, re-attach the wing mirror and make sure it still starts … I did 40k in it last year, replaced, water-pump, engine mounts, gearbox oil, discs, pads and other stuff. It looks like crap, but has been reliable for me.

He should have kept hold of the Civic - it wasn't end of life by any means, I reckon it had another MOT in it, maybe 2. What's he going to get for £300? Yeah the shadow normally has something cheap and (I assume) reasonable up for grabs, but he's in Bolton, and Pandemonium is at least 200 miles from him. Ballacks, I regret selling that Scirocco now, t'was bloody ace I don't care what nobody says! BTW how's it coming along Matt?

It wasn't end of life, it was past end of life.

Since deciding that modern car ownership is a bad idea, I'm going to be looking for a runaround for a few hundred quid, to hopefully last about 6 months...

Ideally will have a smallish engine for insuranceness.

Ideally 4 or more doors for child-friendliness.

And MOT for as many months as possible.

Will also need to be capable of 70+ mile round trips every weekend to collect my little boy. That's the whole reason for having a car at all really, otherwise I'd just walk to work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Cars/9801/bn_1839037?rt=nc&_sop=1&_udhi=300