2001 Suzuki Wagon R - Sometimes for sale.

pandamonium

Done around 1000 miles in this so far.

Things to report.

- Fuel economy doesn't seem to be amazing, but haven't done a proper check yet.

- It is bloody scary at motorway speed, stability is worrying to say the least.

- I've been told of someone who reached 100mph and their whole life flashed in front of them. (Not me, obviously, that would be irresponsible.)

- It doesn't handle well, roundabouts and corners are best approached gently.

- It is very 'agricultural' to drive, more like a small van than anything of any luxury. Fine once you get used to it.

My wife bought one of these new just before we met. Not something to drive enthusiastically but utterly capable of lugging people and stuff around at speeds upto the legal limit (but not above!).

All of the above were correct when new too. MPG was rarely much better than 35 and pushed hard down a motorway could drop to 30mpg. I thought it was really wooden to drive and the gear change sticky and notchy but I had an XM V6 at the time. 

On the plus side, my wife soon realised and bought a BX GTi. The Wagon R+ lived on through 2 relatives of ours (young drivers) for the next 7 years until part exchanged (for a Boxster S!) in solid condition with 100k on the clock having cost all of us nothing except basic servicing, exhausts, tyres and brakes. Pretty impressive really considering how abused it was. There is absolutely no doubt the Wagon R would have outlasted the XM and BX probably by a significant factor! Wish I could remember the numberplate to see what became of it.

Fucksake.

Got key stuck in the lock. Bloody thing was just spinning and wouldn't come out. In the end levered it out with pliers.

The key has been iffy since I got the car, sticking in the ignition sometimes, and the lock sometimes just spins on the drivers door.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to try to get an original from Suzuki.

post-1804-0-70744800-1540057056_thumb.jpg

I'm now putting this up for sale, as I get bored fast and have seen many things I want.

I've priced it as per others on t'internet, but I'm not stupid enough to believe it is actually going to sell for that...

May entertain swaps / trades.

May just keep it and continue improving it.

Bad points:

EML - plan to get this reset / sorted ASAP. It's probably nothing.

Dent / scrape on passenger rear door / arch. Again, busy sorting this.

Locks are a bit iffy, suspect worn out key. Will try to sort.

Drivers electric mirror doesn't work. I'm sure most people can cope without this...

Thinking about doing the cambelt myself, as I've done a couple before.

With the Lada, I sliced the old cambelt in half around its circumference, maneuvered the new belt on halfway and then snipped the old belt, ensuring nothing moved.

I'm not sure how well that will work on a transversely mounted engine, as I'm sure space will be limited.

The Bluebird I did had a handy little panel in the arch to remove that meant you could get to things.

Any suggestions? Just pay someone to do it?

Well, after my (wasted, pointless) trip to Harwich, 120 mile round trip, the engine light appears to be gone for good. 

It's odd, as apparently the the 74bhp engine only has a 87mph top speed. And let's just say, this may be the 91 bhp one. . :D

Finished the debadging the other day, looks better. 

post-1804-0-40448300-1540581927_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after my (wasted, pointless) trip to Harwich, 120 mile round trip, the engine light appears to be gone for good.

It's odd, as apparently the the 74bhp engine only has a 87mph top speed. And let's just say, this may be the 91 bhp one. . :D

Finished the debadging the other day, looks better.

IMG_20181022_173221.jpg

I spy a badge