(n+1): a Haunted Rover production

Ghosty

Wrong part or just aftermarket shite ?

Did you get it from Robber's Bruvvers or anaother kwalateee supplier ?

If you've got any scrapyards near you, I'd be tempted to have a rummage down there.

Post up a picture of the required relay in it's fitted location and I'm sure if any of us are down a yard one could be obtained for you. Assuming it is not a failed fuel pump relay that put the thing in the yard, winna.

Well, it started. Old Man dragged me out of bed to help test it, there was no spark, then suddenly there was.

He's taking the dizzy apart.

The lone HT lead I bought by accident (since when is one lead a 'kit'?) also transpires to be for an SOHC D16, as well as being so short it could only be used on cylinder 4. There was no way I could have known this.

That's definitely going back.

Well, it started. Old Man dragged me out of bed to help test it, there was no spark, then suddenly there was.

He's taking the dizzy apart.

The lone HT lead I bought by accident (since when is one lead a 'kit'?) also transpires to be for an SOHC D16, as well as being so short it could only be used on cylinder 4. There was no way I could have known this.

That's definitely going back.

No HT lead kit has ever been correct.

No HT lead kit has ever been correct.

Minefield, complexity has also moved onto simpler things.

I ordered a waterpump earlier this year, genuine fauxhaul as well, picture on webshite showed it wiv gasket and I didn't give it a second thought. I arrived without gasket, so I callez...........nah m8 gasket is separate innit........ok give me price and avail.........I'll have to get back to you m8 we don't stock them........aaaargh FFS.

They foooked up the order so I had to nip down the local stealers and get one.

Then after I had done the job, one arrived from the internet seller and a few days later a second one arrived. By this time, I was just glad I opened the water pump box before the Christmas as I was doing the job on New Year's Day whilst the car was down with us.......as you do. I purposely didn't have much to drink on New Years Eve as the mere thought of the close shave gave me a headache........

You have to treble check everything these days.

Ordered a hub and bearing on-line and paid Then an e-mail comes a couple of days later.......soz mate we out of stock. When you have them in ? Dunno m8 but we can get you an OE one for quite a bit more. FFS, I'm running out of time now, go on then, I pays the extra and gets the "have I just had my leg lifted" feeling.

I could have ordered a cheap shite hub from many internet sellerz. To be fair ish, it was a genuine hub and a fair price but the genuine hubs are shite anyway which is why I was going to try an aftermarket shite unit.

Sorry to hijack u thread but might make you feel better on the HT Lead Set Of 1 Lead.........it ain't just you bro.

Wrong part or just aftermarket shite ?

Did you get it from Robber's Bruvvers or anaother kwalateee supplier ?

If you've got any scrapyards near you, I'd be tempted to have a rummage down there.

Post up a picture of the required relay in it's fitted location and I'm sure if any of us are down a yard one could be obtained for you. Assuming it is not a failed fuel pump relay that put the thing in the yard, winna.

Relay is fine. It turns out one of the multiplugs on the dizzy had a small piece of plastic jammed behind a pin, meaning it was having to arc to make contact. 

With this removed the car starts instantly. Half a crank gets it now.

With this done, only the paint needs sorting.

Can't take credit though as I'm ill and shit with rattle cans - Old Man is doing it. Just standard, no funny stuff, figured it was for the best.

Looks like your Pops is handy. You need to get him a workmate so the chap doesn't have to kneel on the floor. There is no reason your Pops can't rattle,can that to a really good finish.

Oh, indeed. Colour match isn't 100% as Rover Azure Blue isn't available off the shelf, I just used Google to see what similar shades in Halfords looked like. This is a Ford shade called Glacier Blue, which seems to be used on late '80s Capris and XR2is. It's come up well, and for some lacquer will be more than good enough for a garage job. fb72a7cd563ae62ab38a854b37ce91c8.jpg

Couldn't you have got the paint mixed in a can at a local paint shop, or used this company https://www.paints4u.com.

You can't just pick a colour that looks similar and expect it to look ok.

You can't, but he has, and hasn't he done well for some lateral thinking.

I know it is fotows over interweb and as such the discerning eye can be fooled, but not bad. I've seen worse matches come out of a bodyshop.

I said to a chap I once worked with, who painted the door and wing on your ovlov mate ? He replied he didn't know what I meant. I replied, them's a totally different colour bud, about 3 shades out in my book. Even after I tried to show him, he still couldn't see it. I left it that as long as he stops when the top light glows, he should be orite

Couldn't you have got the paint mixed in a can at a local paint shop, or used this company https://www.paints4u.com.

Could've, but this was cheap and cheerful, supplies are readily available, and at a reasonable cost. Figured it was worth a try.

Or - and this is often something that randoms on the internet don't realise - he can do whatever he wants with his car.

Finished product looks decent; props to fivva_ghost.

Oh, indeed. Colour match isn't 100% as Rover Azure Blue isn't available off the shelf, I just used Google to see what similar shades in Halfords looked like. This is a Ford shade called Glacier Blue, which seems to be used on late '80s Capris and XR2is. It's come up well, and for some lacquer will be more than good enough for a garage job. fb72a7cd563ae62ab38a854b37ce91c8.jpg

As previously mentioned, pictures can be deceiving, however that looks like a fab match to me! Top work Old Man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bashed somebody's Fiesta a few years ago I paid more than his car was worth to have it repaired to avoid insurance.

He then traded it in against a new Corsa....

Someone at work drove into the back of me and insisted I didn't go through insurance for repair. So I got three quotes from 2 back street places and he paid the lowest which was 475 quid. Dented rear valance, bent bumper, rear light.

To keep it legal I went to a scrap yard and got a rear light for 5 quid.

After I got the 475 quid from him, the body shop wanted the car for 3 days.

But I needed the car to get to work.

I was waiting for a day when My wife would drive 25 miles to pick me up from work, drive me home, lend me her c set for 2 days before coming with me to pick the car up

I changed jobs moved house 60 miles end spent the money. and my brother in law Hammered out the dent and straightened the bumper. Then I sold the car for 475 quid.

I don't feel like a twat. But I am

Someone at work drove into the back of me and insisted I didn't go through insurance for repair. So I got three quotes from 2 back street places and he paid the lowest which was 475 quid. Dented rear valance, bent bumper, rear light.

To keep it legal I went to a scrap yard and got a rear light for 5 quid.

After I got the 475 quid from him, the body shop wanted the car for 3 days.

But I needed the car to get to work.

I was waiting for a day when My wife would drive 25 miles to pick me up from work, drive me home, lend me her c set for 2 days before coming with me to pick the car up

I changed jobs moved house 60 miles end spent the money. and my brother in law Hammered out the dent and straightened the bumper. Then I sold the car for 475 quid.

I don't feel like a twat. But I am

I don't see the problem with this to be honest.

If I hit someone, agree a price to repair and hand over the money I don't give a toss if they spend it on coke and hookers and don't fix the car.

You've compensated someone for the damage, if they want to just live with it fine.

The most important bit is you've settled the incident, so can walk away without fear of further shite, and as you've done it outside of your insurer you'll avoid either party being bummed for future premium increases. That would be £475 well spent in my book.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk