Citroen Xantia Exclusive sold and gone. Life without hydraulics in the saab must go on

Andy F

One of these!

Had it 2 hours. So far, fixed central locking.

Still to do fix the roof! Haven't even tried it yet, but it is top priority. Everything else seems to work even the air con!

2.0T makes me smile especially having had to use the Picasso and the camper last week.

For the price I paid I'm very happy.

post-26073-0-37083100-1537123221_thumb.jpg

That's what happens when my wife and I are allowed to go car shopping without a responsible adult. She's a keeper, and probably the wife is too.

To be honest it was cheap, local and I needed a car in a hurry. I don't think I have a type of car I enjoy, just certain things I want to try. A month a go I was about to buy a renner 21 savanna. And on the way to work a Chrysler grand voyager caught my eye. Although there will always be a space for a topless Swede in my life.

I don't know who I am anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my lovely xantia has gone on to its new home with dSpares and tyres. I have put first dibs on it and miss it already, but it is nice to be able to move around out side the front of the house again. Saab is staying for now but it is a bit thirsty to be doing 400+ miles a week in the long term.

First time being without a hydraulic Citroën for a loooong time.

Happy days, great to meet you too.

As the Mrs said when she saw it: "it was everything I expected it to be"

This did actually happen.

So now being a full time Saab driver, I want to get the roof working as it should. No point having the potential for a topless Swede...

Have hopefully booked it into a localish Saab diagnostics place to see what it is and isn't doing. Here are the symptoms

When trying to operate the roof i get a "manual operation only, contact service"

And every time i pull off it Bing Bongs at me and says to "fully open or close roof before driving."

The car is now called Bing Bong by the small people, which has made the sound endearing, but annoying when crawling through rush hour.

Anyone had any joy with similar cars? Saab forums so far have not helped. Having had Citroens forever, I all of a sudden seem a bit clueless.

And every time i pull off it Bing Bongs at me and says to "fully open or close roof before driving."

Whilst I know absolutely nothing about topless swedes, that sounds to me like a closed limit switch has failed, so the system thinks the roof is mid-travel, and you're driving about like this:

post-3568-0-47842500-1538472341_thumb.jpg

Fingers crossed for a cheap fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've made a start on this old dog.

Jacked it up and inspected the yellow crayon of doompost-19511-0-02011100-1539784774_thumb.jpg

Made one big plate and one small plate and stuck them on. No filler or correct paint though, this will dopost-19511-0-24589800-1539784876_thumb.jpg

I put a plate on the inner sill. It wasn't holed or marked with crayon but once I tickled it with the wire wheel it needed a plate

Even polished the rear quarter and door.

That'll do for nowpost-19511-0-04815000-1539785163_thumb.jpg

Really pleased to see work being done on the Xantia, it was too good scrap! Polished bit has come up a treat. Lovely old thing.

No new news on the Saab unfortunately. Going to get it booked in at a dealership with Saab Tech II software so they can interrogate it properly. On initial inspection, everything looks fine and lines up, so as Talbot says above, its likely a position sensor gone wrong. There are however quite a few of them so if a diagnostic session can pin point it, I'll be delighted. Hoping the dealer will also enable the Aux input mode on the OEM stereo too.

• 2 weeks later...

So, today I tried to weld a car for someone but then I condemned it as it was too far gone.

So while the MiG was out and a welding spot was booked I decided to finish the welding on this

Pretty much the same as the othersidepost-19511-0-58757600-1540930670_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-15569000-1540930702_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-25372400-1540930721_thumb.jpg

Just a couple of minor jobs left to do, then it should go through the MoT!

Need to get that door changed over though, and reattach the bumper properly, it looks awful!

• 2 weeks later...

Did some work drivers side front today.

The bumper had expanding foam stuck all over where some attempt was made to stick the bumper back on.post-19511-0-82535900-1541794256_thumb.jpg

post-19511-0-74130900-1541794273_thumb.jpg

What a bodge. The proper way to do this job is with self tappers and cable tiespost-19511-0-28996500-1541794330_thumb.jpg

Polished this corner up. Much better!post-19511-0-53629300-1541794414_thumb.jpg

Just needs drop links and front discs and pads for the mot i reckon