Robinmasters' French Fancies - Now with post-Brexit British content

robinmasters

The drive home was fun. Lots of fun. I think it was bramz that described it as 'peppy'. Certainly is. No trouble keeping up on the motorway, and feels pretty solid too, not at all like I remember smol cars in the nineties.

The lacquer peel is significant, to say the least, but that's really the biggest problem. My daughter looked at the bonnet and said 'Is it ok, it looks like it's got a disease'.

post-5742-0-92275800-1536014552_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-08442200-1536014572_thumb.jpg

To do list so far:

- Tyres-whilst they're not a common size, decent brands are still cheap. Any doubt over the ones currently fitted-they'll be replaced.

- Sort lacquer peel; I've always quite fancied a French car with a tricolore roof, but I don't think this colour would suit it. Mark's been gradually jet-washing the lacquer off, but I've discovered that it can be taken off without (visibly) damaging the paint; unfortunately someone has been at it before, but less carefully. I don't think even the worst scratches need paint though.

- Stickers; I really don't like extraneous or deteriorated stickers, so some will have to go. The original dealer sticker stays, despite being faded; it's not curling or cracking. A 'K&N' sticker on the rear window has already gone, and the 'radio code' stickers on the front windows aren't far behind-they've been a brown sticky mess on every Citroen I've owned.

- Fit stereo with USB; I'll keep the original. DIN adapter already on the way.

- Fix inoperative boot lock

- Cigar lighter not working; not important enough to check all fuses, it can wait until the BoL arrives.

- Left side of dash (ie entire speedometer) not illuminated. Possibly heater panel too, will have a look when the radio is out.

- Reverse light not working. Haven't checked the bulb yet (because the boot doesn't open).

- Faded plastics-door mirrors, and window winders. And the glove box buttons.

- Clean. Low priority.

- Think about removing battering rams. They're an open box section where they join the car, so should be easy enough (I've had an angle grinder for years, never used it). The gaping holes left in the bumper could simply be covered with plastic vents.

There's not really anything wrong with it. Dunno when it was last serviced, or when the cam belt was done (or if, it's only done 60k), so will do both in due course.

I might actually keep this thread updated beyond the first week of ownership!