Peugeot 205 CJ - fixed and probably available for sells/swaps

Marm Toastsmith

post-23518-0-57565900-1535756231_thumb.jpg

Oily carb, missing air duct. Coincidence? I have no idea, but they're on the list to sort/investigate.

I think it may be due a service. And a timing belt. Actually the exhaust seems pretty noisy too.

Oh god I hope this isn't going to hurt. Slightly scared of it's Frenchness. It's been a while.

Top buying! I was looking at one exactly like that for sale at a show last weekend and was seriously tempted as I need top-down motoring in my life once again and the chances of finding another floppy-top Skud now are one in eleventy zillion. For a sec I thought yours was the same one but there are detailed differences. Stupidly with hindsight I deliberately didn't note down the details, to stop myself umming/erring/being tempted. Will watch progress on yours with interest.

Have oiled the door hinges, put air in the tyres (much better) and driven it a bit further. Fun. Quite quick for a 1.4. The kids like it too.

It hasn't broken yet, but it idles a bit rough and pops a bit on the overrun. Only needs choke at initial start, so I wonder if it's running a bit rich.

Something in the engine area is making a noise like an empty coke can full of ring pulls being shaken around. Only at idle. Probablement normal.

Spent an little time cleaning up the interior this evening...it's fairly filthy so quite a satisfying job. The interior is really fun, with all that blue, and multi-coloured stitching on the seats.

Will get "after" pics tomorrow, but here's the "before". Seller's pics, really the presentation was all part of the appeal (I distrust excessively shiny secondhand cars), and I don't mind the wear and tear, but it'll be nice to sit somewhere reasonably clean.

I haven't got the toothbrush out yet, but Henry's been working hard for his rent.

post-23518-0-98156900-1535843452_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-55227300-1535843453_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-04917900-1535843454_thumb.jpg

Love th colour and the period alloy wheels; both very 80s! What shape is the hood in?

Thanks, same here! The stripes are good too.

Hood was new about ten years ago so it's not too bad. 2 very small holes which I didn't initially notice but which I suspect could be repaired. It's a bit heavy to lift though... I quickly lubricated the linkages yesterday which made little or no difference. I suspect it needs a new pair of hydraulic struts. At least it's manual... I quite fancied a 306 but the complication of the roof mechanism put me off.

More pics from the eBay listing:

post-23518-0-58300200-1535878167_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-82696500-1535878166_thumb.jpg

I had one almost identical new as a company lease car, mine had white hubcaps on steels rather than alloys. It was always a bugger to start when hot and the clutch failed at under 12000 miles, I remember those blue seats well as it was very difficult to get spaniel hair out of them. Nice little cars.

Here are the holes.

post-23518-0-05987200-1535923318_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-32424900-1535923330_thumb.jpg

More excitingly I managed to reset (press and hold "band") the factory stereo and enter the code, which came in the history folder. It was locked out and displaying "4444". It works, rewind, fast-forward and everything... although it seemed oddly quiet... Still, there was some Floyd in the glovebox when I bought it - which made a great soundtrack to my morning's drive. Great fun. Will have to sort out some more tapes.

post-23518-0-04486000-1535923348_thumb.jpg

Here's how the interior was looking by this evening. It's getting there...

post-23518-0-34251100-1535923366_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-13123500-1535923378_thumb.jpg

Did some more fiddling. Discovered the following:

I have a spare tyre, but no wheel... :shock:

post-23518-0-50774800-1535924861_thumb.jpg

Speakers toast. But very easy to get to! So nice taking apart a pre-bloat car.

post-23518-0-96579100-1535924985_thumb.jpg

Fucked bonnet hinge. How to fix I wonder... looks like it was originally welded in place...or is it just a sheared bolt?

post-23518-0-32783000-1535925174_thumb.jpg

I fixed the rattly rear view mirrors. A small win.

post-23518-0-25577700-1535925283_thumb.jpg

post-23518-0-14274300-1535925355_thumb.jpg

Then I drove it again. I fkin love it.

An excellent purchase sir.

Something in the engine area is making a noise like an empty coke can full of ring pulls being shaken around. Only at idle. Probablement normal.

Thrust bearing or very loose valve clearances (because French). Valves are 0.20mm ± 0.05 in & 0.40mm ± 0.05 ex. Set using "on the rock", not rule of 9 (cylinder 1 both valves open/rocking, set cylinder 4). Could also be the washers on the cam cover bolts, or even a loose cam cover causing the rattle.

An excellent purchase sir.

Thrust bearing or very loose valve clearances (because French). Valves are 0.20mm ± 0.05 in & 0.40mm ± 0.05 ex. Set using "on the rock", not rule of 9 (cylinder 1 both valves open/rocking, set cylinder 4). Could also be the washers on the cam cover bolts, or even a loose cam cover causing the rattle.

Thanks!

Don't think it's the coming from engine itself tbh. Not really a mechanical sound, but a rattle nonetheless. Under the bonnet - but seems to be either behind or to the right hand side. Did wonder if it might just be the exhaust, or a rusty heat shield, or something. Only heard at idle, or with decreasing revs.

The rattle at idle could be the bottom sprocket for the crank (the small one that runs the timing belt). There is a small tin plate on the back of it, I presume to stop the belt from riding off.

They have a habit of coming loose occasionally causing a low resonant jingle on these TU lumps.... Sort of a cross between your description of said noise and a tiny and very annoying bell. Mainly at idle and sometimes full throttle.

Looks like a tidy little thing and has the bonus of looking like you have had a knife fight in the drivers seat (should keep the thieves away).

I had the jingle at tick over on my 1400 306 Tu and when I bought the car and looked into the service history the Peugeot dealership thought it was big ends so had the sump dropped to find it was like new.

I took it round to an old school mechanic I knew and it was the bottom pulley and a quick tighten up and all was fine.

It would start to jingle again after about a year and it just got tightened again on its service.

Having an odd desire to pop over and valet that interior. Alas I can do nowt about the broken fabric on the seat.

Tis a genuine offer by the way.

Haha...Thank you! I'm half way through and enjoying it myself to be honest. Part of the reason I bought it was so I could clean it up. ;) Not too bothered about the torn fabric - it's character.

It WAS absolutely filthy, and it's still pretty grubby in parts. Reminds me of an ex-builders VW transporter I had a few years back - you just have to keep going. At least that van didn't have carpets...

The main trouble with attempting any job like this is I don't have a driveway or a garage, and my neighbours and their kids are too bloody friendly/nosey - so everything takes ages, every couple of minutes you have to turn the hoover off to be able to hear what someone's trying to say to you.

Plus, the kids usually want to come out and ride their bikes or whatever so there are constant interruptions from them... When I started doing it, for at least an hour my kids and another who lives a few doors up decided to take over the job and sat in the car messing about with the hoover and rags etc. while I just twiddled my thumbs...very helpful. And then my neighbour asked if I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on his daughter, and went back inside...

So the next time I parked it up in a quiet little mews near my work. Bliss, no interruptions! Actually one guy stopped to chat and ask about the car. He liked it.

But you're very welcome to pop by for a cuppa, have a look, I might even let you clean it, a bit. ;) Or on second thoughts maybe I should pop by to your place. Is it peaceful there? :?