It’s been to the moon, will it come back? No it’s fucked a month after purchase, great buy.

Tamworthbay

I thought it was worth starting a thread on the v70 I bought off the this very Parish last week. It has done 239000 ish miles, which happens to be about the exact distance from the Earth to the moon. It’s a 2.5tdi of 5 cylinder goodness and a manual box. Being the CD trim it has all the bells and whistles, electric everything and even the weird little child seat that folds out of the rear armrest.

Jobs done so far - refitted the rear hatch cover, two self tappers sorted that. Attempted to get a rear load cover for it, that went less well and I am now the proud owner of a phase 2 v70 load cover (the Internet is very quiet on whether p1 fits p2 and vice versa, they don’t sadly).

Jobs to do - after only a week the passenger door has started doing the popping that they are known for. A quick look shows someone has been there before and put a rough dollop of weld in there. I will get the mig put and see if we can sort it a bit better. An oil filter is in my possession (it’s a beast) and oil should be with me tomorrow. Then I need to look at the bumpers as they are scruffy and let the car down. I will also try and source a set of wheels so the winter tyres can be saved for the colder months. Then try to find the squeak in the boot, either I have a very exciting family of rodents or something is moving in an annoying way. Find a passenger side indicator to replace the misted up one.

Wheels are different now, but this is it a while back.

post-19712-0-56255000-1535566787_thumb.jpeg

Don't weld it, bolt it with repair washers. The next time I did it I used bigger ones that I trimmed on one side. 

jCZ8Va0.jpg

I remember seeing that and thinking it was a very nice solution, but I am a lazy fecker and getting the door off seems hassle. I will try welding and resort to the improved method if (ok then, when) it fails.

we sat on this looking at arse engined cars :D

seemed like a nice old thing

It’s lovely to drive in that typically tank like Volvo way, very similar feel to my old 240. It’s been loved for most of its life with a decent history file even down to what type of oil was used at each change. I bought it as a stop gap while the Beemer was sorted but think it will just end up replacing it. Only way it could be better would be if it was auto.

It can hustle a bit for sure, much more than the 240 and the 2.5 TDi lump is a corker down the lanes as long as they aren’t too tight. Very impressed so far, certainly a worthy follow up to the 240 and 760 I had previously. Still not used to the diesel noise yet, keep thinking I have a white van driving up my arse.

After buying my 940 and being well and truly bitten by the Volvo bug I'm currently going through a battle with myself about replacing the Golf SDI with one of these.

The VAG derv models unfortunately seem rather thin on the ground, none the less I've started hunting for one in a kind of half arsed fashion.

What kind of economy are you seeing and how is it to live with in terms of comfort etc?

After buying my 940 and being well and truly bitten by the Volvo bug I'm currently going through a battle with myself about replacing the Golf SDI with one of these.

The VAG derv models unfortunately seem rather thin on the ground, none the less I've started hunting for one in a kind of half arsed fashion.

What kind of economy are you seeing and how is it to live with in terms of comfort etc?

I have done 300 miles so far at an indicated average of 49.8mpg, that’s a mix of motorway and town driving. On the way back it averaged mid to high 50s mpg on the motorway so really pleased with that. It is supremely comfortable, Volvo seats have alsways been good and these are no different. Everything is well laid out and easily accessible. The only disappointment so far is a lack of storage in the boot below the covers. It’s only a very shallow area on top of the spare and the two sides don’t seem to lift up which would have given nice additional storage. The remote central locking isn’t working which is a pita, but one I can live with.

1000 miles on a tank!!!!!

Far quenelle. Thats range and a half.

I think you would have to drive at around 60-65mph to get close but based on what it’s done so far 700-800 miles seems realistically achievable. Would be great for those runs down to the Italian riviera.

I'll follow this with interest, I always intended on sorting the scruffy bumpers but had too many other projects on the go, the V70 was just always there and working when all around it Range Rovers and Discoveries were laid up in the shed...

Regarding economy, I drove from Ulverston to Canning Town and back shortly after buying it. Filled to the neck at the Texaco in Ulv, drove gently there (me and the girlfriend), parked up for the weekend, then piled the contents of her student flat into the back, and set off back to Ulverston, via Ikea in Warrington just to use the last bit of space in the back.

I drove very gently for that trip of a smidge over 600 miles, and when I got back the trip average claimed 67mpg, but when I brimmed it at the same pump, it worked out to just over 60 mpg, I think 60.2. It cost £53 in diesel to take 2 people to London and back, and carry probably a quarter of a tonne of shite for half of it. That was about 2/3 of a tank used, so I reckon it would certainly crack 900 miles on a tank.

Oh man, I just want to come up and valet the interior just for the sheer fun of it. Ace car.

It could do with a going over, would come up a treat I think.

Mine is similar but poverty spec, I get a regular 50mpg and get nervous past 700 miles range. But it’s an amazingly useful car that’s comfortable, reliable, economical, quick, roomy, doesn’t depreciate and has a whopping stereo.

I don’t think anything else comes close?

I agree, having been away from Volvo estates for a while I wondering why I bought anything else. Auto would make it perfect for but it’s a great car. The extra electrics of the CD make it a bit more of a risk I guess in some ways but it’s nice to have the fancy bits that come with the CD spec

Nothing, but nothing confirms how great these cars are more than this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3GPraVxnp0

The way the door shuts perfectly at the end.  :-D

Never seen that vid before, but it does show how strong they are and must have a laugh to make. I remember reading an Autocar article a few years back about the famous Elk tests they did and the comparison to other cars. The pictures of some were horrific, I think it was either a Citroen or Peugeot that had just been destroyed.

On the down side to this it’s not helping my motivation to delve into the Beemer.