It’s been to the moon, will it come back? No it’s fucked a month after purchase, great buy.

Tamworthbay

My first port of call to sort the cruise control out would have been looking at the clutch switch, as I remember hearing a noise from around the pedal box in a cold cold snap last Christmas, and when I tried to use the cruise a couple of days later it wasn't having it. Might just be the switch popped out or something.

I'm not sure about cross over with Ph1 and Ph2 parts, but the diesel Ph1 cruise system is different to the petrols, as at this age the petrols still used throttle cables, so lots of vacuum gubbins, to the point where the accelerator pedal pulls away from your foot in the old T5s when going up hills. These TDIs were fly by wire from the start.

This is the part number that comes up for your car, looks like it's common to the later models.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VOLVO-CLUTCH-PEDAL-SENSOR-SWITCH-9472979-S70-S60-S80-V70-XC70-XC90-C70-/320835902363

Thanks, I tried eBay but put in cruise control clutch switch and couldn’t find anything. Sadly the V70 breaking in here is auto anyway so no chance of a spare switch. I have managed to find that the control module is the same across the models but can’t find any evidence of them being problematic at all. It’s far from critical so if it’s going to cost a fair bit to sort I will leave it but like to have everything working on cars I have if I can.

That doesn't make sense to me, how does it know what you're doing with the clutch if it's broken? From WL's description I'd say it's come adrift, I'd start by seeing if it can be reattached.

Not sure but it comes up repeatedly on forums when you search cruise control problems on them. My bloody arthritis is flaring up today so not been able to have a look but will get on my knees when I get a chance and see if there is anything obvious.

I'd be tempted to bypass the switch, the cruise should then work but not disengage when you de-clutch. It'll prove if it's the switch at least.

They might even be the same part as the brake light switch as they do the same thing.

Decided bollocks to the pain and went and had a look. There is a pretty extensive cover that hides any view of most of it but my sticking my head down and my arse up I could this:

post-19712-0-02049400-1537119199_thumb.jpg

It just slid off and as the clutch all works ok I guess this may be supposed to be attached to an unseen switchy type thing. Just need to find a nice diagram of the bits now and see what the other end should look like.

post-19712-0-12100000-1537119227_thumb.jpg

I'd guess it lifts the weight of the pedal off the clutch mech. Running without it means a slight weight on the mech all the time that may wear the release bearing slightly quicker.

I'd guess it lifts the weight of the pedal off the clutch mech. Running without it means a slight weight on the mech all the time that may wear the release bearing slightly quicker.

I was wondering that and also wondered if it act as fancy bump stop sort of thing. I have found a diagram of how it goes together (below) and I don’t think it can be the former as it would appear to act in the opposite way for that to be the case. If it does act as a sort of bump stop then it’s failure could explain the death of the cruise control as it could have affected the switch. When I get a second I will whip the lower cover off and have a look but it won’t be for a while as will be full on with work for a couple of weeks and have other bits that are more of a priority to do.post-19712-0-17778800-1537122914_thumb.png

I can't see anything that attaches the spring to pull the pedal down, so it must be intended to push & in that position pushing would lift the pedal. I'm not sure it'd need to be a bump stop either, I'd suspect the length is to prevent the spring popping off as the angles change when the pedal is depressed.

I can't see anything that attaches the spring to pull the pedal down, so it must be intended to push & in that position pushing would lift the pedal. I'm not sure it'd need to be a bump stop either, I'd suspect the length is to prevent the spring popping off as the angles change when the pedal is depressed.

The bracket the other end sits on is above the bar on the pedal it mounts to and it sits almost vertically so can only push down. The top end appears to just sit in a notch which seems a really odd design and not given to longevity. There is limited travel upwards due to length of the broken piece/ space available so it will limit upward movement but whether that is its primary role is another matter.

Looks like I have found it:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?315217-Clutch-Return-Spring-M66&styleid=14

It appears to be a helper spring which lightens the weight of the clutch pedal and can be left out. With my crappy arthritic hip it would help to refit it if I can find the parts but still can’t a find a pic of it fitted yet.

Ahh nice find. I was thinking that bar above the pivot was behind the pivot from the previous pic.

They aren’t the clearest exploded diagrams ever to be fair. I just couldn’t work out what it could be, never thought of an assistance spring. Doesn’t seem that well designed though sadly. Just had a look on Albert Looms website and they only have a 2001 v70 and you can bet the bits will be different on that one unfortunately. Shame as I will be 400yds from there next Saturday.

Had to nip out to the chemists to get my monthly shit load of drugs to keep me going. On the way the coolant light came on briefly, then flickered then stayed on. Topped it up and it’s used about three quarters of a litre in 500 miles which isn’t ideal so will need investigated. I was aware it used a small amount but that is a bit thirsty to not investigate further.

Had a quick nose around on various sites and the usual suspects appear but they are also prone to a failure in the cap apparently. I am not a fan or the random replacement of parts approach usually but a fiver to replace a know weak spot seams a no brainier to me. If it’s not that I will need to delve a bit deeper.

Arthritis has settled a little, well enough to do an oil and filter change on the V70. The filter is a beast and only just comes out of the space available, bit of a sod really as half an inch more in any direction would make it a doddle. Perhaps the filters used to be smaller? Nice to see a genuine Volvo filter fitted. They also have a very clever system with a funnel fitted to channel all the oil which inevitably spills from a horizontal filter to one place. Sadly I found this out AFTER taking the filter off but I know for next time. The sump plug had been done up by the usual garage Gorilla but a six sided socket prevented any further damage to the plug. 6 litres of Shell Helix Ultra later (only the best for the Ovlov) and she sounds happier and feels more responsive but that could just be my imagination.

post-19712-0-77624000-1537371909_thumb.jpg

The cheap stereo has also arrived, it’s plug and play but will need a bit of fettling to sit perfect but nothing major. Finding a route for the reversing camera wiring will be the hardest job I think.

Also had a chance to check out the underside properly as only a ramp can do. I knew the rear tank guard was shagged but other than that all is either ok or saveable. Some surface Norwegian chrome on the rear chassis legs - probably due to the tow bar, but it’s still solid so I have just covered it in Bilthamber UB for now. Will either do a proper job later or more UB as it’s bloody good stuff.

So new stereo arrived. Took two minutes to swap over, so far so good, turned on, all good, press some buttons, yup still good, jerry rig the reversing camera, fanfuckingtastic, then play with radio, tune into absolute, Yup that’s good, now just need to tune in my AM stations, press band button, FM1, FM2, FM3, FM1, hmm must be some mistake, try again, FM1231. Ah fook................. Never though it might not have AM. There is a remote with loads of buttons so will have a proper play tomorrow but no AM means no go, can’t be without AM. Anyone for a very lightly used double din touchscreen all singing all dancing stereo (as long as the song isn’t on an AM station of course).