1986 635 Cs i - SinBin since 2020...

Crispian_J_Hotson

....In other news...

MOT on the 19th. Exciting* times ahead.

Much the same for me when I put the CX in for its first MoT under my ownership. Was very surprised when it passed with no advisories (other than an informal comment about a leak). The joy proved short-lived as the gearbox FTP'd not long after. I now have a nice car which is insured, MoT'd and taxed.....and awaiting repair likely to take weeks.

Oh, that was done by me last year. Should be guud for another 60 billion miles.

There's always rust, it's part of the ownership. Structurally... No/ not yet/ will be soon. I have found a strange drip from the rear screen area into the boot, someone's been there before with some extremely sticky putty mastic type stuff and wedged it up in the parcel shelf underside. What could it be?!? Oh, the mystery of it... The wonderment!

Believe me though, right now... I couldn't give a rats arse about that.

THE DAY IS HERE! MOT O'CLOCK BITCHES!

1) Car been off the road for a year and a half... CHECK

2) Car been fixed in loads of places and repairs on vital systems without even so much as a road test... CHECK

3) Car has no fuel.... CHECK

4) Picked an MOT place a half hours drive away, using the M11... CHECK

I think we're ready! 

Eff me, that was terrorisingly hard work and I shouldn't let it go into that state again... (Said that before). Got a lot more confidence in it on the way home. Getting a tracker for it today which should be fun* to sort out. If they can be bothered lifting wrecks out of peoples front gardens then I need some extra protection. I have my eye on a couple of tracking devices but any suggestions are welcome.

Totally agree I loathe most BMs but these (and a few others) have a nice look to them.

I'd be driving it with a huge grin on my face, that's for certain.  My mate recently offered to lend me his '08 6-Series for a year (he's going to New Zealand) and I would have happily have accepted his offer if I could have afforded the insurance on it but one of these 6 Series might have made me bankrupt instead...

Conclusion?  I need a better-paying job!

Cheers all. I've put a few miles on it today and done a shopping run and it's ok. I noticed a little clicking noise from the rear 'in disc drum shoe area'  as the wheel goes around. It all works, just this noise so I'll need to look into that. Probably some fixings have come adrift due to age. It's not an area I've visited in the last 6 years or so.

Now, trackers... It now has one but I was a bit miffed as to why there was no warning type stickers with it. But then I thought, why would you advertise the fact it has one so that the teefs could look for it, you'd want it left alone as long as possible, but then there is no visible deterrent so far as that's concerned. What's best? Warning stickers or no warning stickers? Life is just so confusing sometimes...

....Now, trackers... It now has one but I was a bit miffed as to why there was no warning type stickers with it. But then I thought, why would you advertise the fact it has one so that the teefs could look for it, you'd want it left alone as long as possible, but then there is no visible deterrent so far as that's concerned. What's best? Warning stickers or no warning stickers? Life is just so confusing sometimes...

There are also inexpensive* devices that can suppress tracker signals, GPS, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

She blew a hunnet mph today for the best part of 8 miles over that private land there... Takes baws of steel in this car! This is my test speed. If a car can do this speed and stop hard without shitting itself then all is well. Confidence is building. Brake warning light came on at random points. This is an old issue and I think* is due to fluid coming up into the reservoir cap and shorting out the level sensor. It needs a new cap anyway. Sunroof seal is toast though, wind noise is terrible.

Pleased with that really. Done a good hour around built up areas too but I'm still not fully confident about leaving the temp to go right up without a new pump on there. 

Twoz an excellent day to just go for a drive!

(One of those rare moments when the car actually works)

She blew a hunnet mph today for the best part of 8 miles over that private land there... Takes baws of steel in this car! This is my test speed. If a car can do this speed and stop hard without shitting itself then all is well. ....

Remember that E24 brake fade isn't unknown. I experienced it at least once, and it wasn't funny.

Remember that E24 brake fade isn't unknown. I experienced it at least once, and it wasn't funny.

Oh yes. 635 drivers double their stopping distance and pre plan an emergency escape route everytime when braking... It becomes second nature, like looking for holes to avoid in the road! These cars tho...