1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Good work. I am surprised the bowl is not glass, presumably the pump is an AC Delco? Perhaps the original was dropped and a cheap aftermarket one fitted. Glass bowls are still widely available if desired. An inline filter is not needed. It only adds an extra weak point to the system, whilst the gauze will catch any rubbish getting sucked up. I've never had a blockage in all my motoring days without one.... Likewise with an inline switch to an electric petrol pump - a secret switch in the low tension circuit does similar for theft prevention.

The fuel pump (lower section) has a glass bowl stamped AC, with a little fine gauze mesh.

I had a Super Minx whose tank inner coating was coming off, that would block up. Glass bowl was a good side-of-the-road fix to take off, remove the crud and replace.

The upper section is vacuum only and has no filter/bowl.

Phil

I saw Kindig's "Mischief". Not bad, though I was amused that he left the screws visible on the front indicators. That's very unlike him.

I think that car got pushed through on a tighter budget than they'd have liked.

I'm rethinking this here though. I'm now looking at getting some new metal pipe and redoing it all in metal.

Phil

I went on a tangent.

post-5454-0-45243400-1548204959_thumb.jpg

Slam panel off.

post-5454-0-11727900-1548205015_thumb.jpg

Radiator out.

post-5454-0-69868700-1548205052_thumb.jpg

Looks quite different.

post-5454-0-59708400-1548205095_thumb.jpg

I'll leave you with the last worrisome thing. I just hope the bolts are attached in the inside and are actually holding the thing on... Plus, who uses metric fixings on a car from 1951?! I'm uncovering some "fun" things. Ugh.

Phil

I took a quick look and the slam panel strengthening bar. Previous owners had cut through it with a grinder then bent it aside.

Instead of removing the six bolts that hold it in.

post-5454-0-54997100-1548209862_thumb.jpg

I removed the spider webs from up under the wheel arch. I shall wait a few days and see if they reappear. If they don't, it should be safe to delve hands into areas under and undo the slam panel strengthener bar bolts.

Then I need to straighten it. And get it welded. Or, find a replacement.

Phil

I took a quick look and the slam panel strengthening bar. Previous owners had cut through it with a grinder then bent it aside.

Instead of removing the six bolts that hold it in.

attachicon.gif20190122_180854.jpg

I removed the spider webs from up under the wheel arch. I shall wait a few days and see if they reappear. If they don't, it should be safe to delve hands into areas under and undo the slam panel strengthener bar bolts.

Then I need to straighten it. And get it welded. Or, find a replacement.

Phil

Can you not 'sanitise' the area with a vacuum, or are american spiders too heavyweight for this to work? [ick]

I can't even see what the bodge achieves.

A few inches more access. There engine has been out in the past.

post-5454-0-06110300-1548246373_thumb.jpg

I'm going to pull it off properly, straighten it and see about getting it welded.

I'm also going to look at taking the front grille off because that gives significant room then to lift the engine and gearbox out.

Phil

post-5454-0-40131200-1548285407_thumb.jpg

Three studs, all loose. One not very good thread.

post-5454-0-81457300-1548285422_thumb.jpg

The stiffener is riveted to the horseshoe shaped bracket. I'm going to have to try and get the screws out. They're not easy to access with the car on the floor, possibly better access jacked up.

post-5454-0-95105500-1548285433_thumb.jpg

Removed the alternator. This gives a lot more access.

post-5454-0-72855500-1548285444_thumb.jpg

Finally, lighthearted. Shop light behind the car's badge.

Phil

Is it bad that I just thought about refitting this car with a big six turbodiesel if this engine goes pop?

There's enough room to...

Phil

would certainly be nice and different from the LS V8 they shove into everything these days

I was thinking tho, if its a straight eight, would a V16 fit?  :mrgreen:

Any V would be difficult to fit, primarily because of the steering. The column and steering box sit on the inside edge of the chassis.

This was designed for inline engines (i6 and i8 being the choices).

The later cars from 57 on were completely redesigned to house V8's.

For diesel, the chief on the hood would have to gain a small cigar, becoming a smoker...

Phil

Rover 1S60 Gas Turbine (~60hp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow_hddEk8a0

Or as its a big car a Rover MK10501 (150hp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPRYcX4fiU

May need to do something about the noise levels tho

( I think there is one going cheap on RR after a certain project was abandoned )