1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Updated the rear lights to LED. They're now definitely red. Slightly strange with the immediate on/off for the indicators but that's the way it goes.

post-5454-0-72098200-1539396767_thumb.jpg

Also did all the dash illumination with the new LED bulbs I bought.

post-5454-0-30567100-1539397348_thumb.jpg

Clean white. It's probably about the color they wished it would have been back in the day (painting the inside of the gauges blue to make the light a bit more white looking). Camera got a little upset with the actual color and made it look a bit funny.

Also fixed the ash tray handle with a screw that was stuck down between the exhaust and intake manifold that had probably been there for decades, and also the light inside the ash tray which comes on with the lights and is switched by pulling it out. Pull it just a little way and it illuminates the floor (by design, it seems) which is neat. I need to look more because no light gets into the ash tray itself. Not that it'll be used, but eh.

Phil

"..on with the lights and is switched by pulling it out. Pull it just a little way and it illuminates the floor (by design, it seems) which is neat. I need to look more because no light gets into the ash tray itself. Not that it'll be used, but eh.."

I have a green light glows down [into the ashtray] with the lights on.

I have removed the ashtray [don't smoke] and the slot is set for use as the location for my Reversing Camera TFT. It will flip out & down and, because I have araldited the ashtray 'front lip' onto the screen bottom you wouldn't know it was a mod...

43476951732_3c6df12ae3.jpg

Old wheel trim centers were looking a little tired on the front.

post-5454-0-31879500-1539457379_thumb.jpg

2500 grit and soapy water and a little effort later:

post-5454-0-19739500-1539457390_thumb.jpg

All masked up carefully.

post-5454-0-18482300-1539457414_thumb.jpg

And finally, 3 coats of clear red later (dried a little hazy, will polish it once it's fully hardened).

post-5454-0-66511000-1539457440_thumb.jpg

post-5454-0-81654300-1539457451_thumb.jpg

Looking much better. Now 3 more to do and possibly the two rear badges also.

Phil

Well, it was something that was giving me the irrits when I walked into the garage and saw it each time.

This was somewhat experimental, but turned out okay. It's not perfect but it's better than it was. I'll pull one of the rear ones off that's been painted with red Dulux as a comparison at a later date.

Phil

The effect with the Clear Red over the chrome is amazing its almost got that enamel feel to it!

Wish it woud stop piddling down here so I could get some work done :(

Your stormin ahead on this Phil :mrgreen:

Keep it coming :mrgreen:

That's kinda the look I am going for. On the smooth metal it should hopefully come up polish and wax. The emblems on the back are molded with deco diamonds and I'm not sure how well it'll sit on the edges. It may pay to actually do them in enamel.

Phil

The effect with the Clear Red over the chrome is amazing its almost got that enamel feel to it!

Wish it woud stop piddling down here so I could get some work done :(

Your stormin ahead on this Phil :mrgreen:

Keep it coming :mrgreen:

Paint was hardened up nicely so I had a go with polish and wax.

post-5454-0-02857800-1539485776_thumb.jpg

Agreeable outcome.

post-5454-0-19803900-1539485790_thumb.jpg

Looks good at an oblique angle too. I'll pull the car out before Halloween and give it a wash, hopefully it'll be sunny.

post-5454-0-58551800-1539485803_thumb.jpg*

For this task? Under initial conditions, recommend this as a good clear red colour. Would do well on faded light lenses also.

Phil

*Bonus Where's Wally content

Went to Wally World this morning and bought some paint stripper and some cheap toothbrushes.

I'm going to pull one of the badges off, also the rear wheels have been painted with some fairly thick red paint so I figured instead of possibly scratching the metal up I'd strip it chemically.

More to follow :)

Phil

I got all paint-happy this afternoon.

post-5454-0-33296200-1539559594_thumb.jpg

I did the other flank badge.

post-5454-0-14114300-1539559622_thumb.jpg

I redid the front badge the way it should be.

post-5454-0-54647300-1539559650_thumb.jpg

And I did the rear badges with a mild custom touch, the pinstripes and "EIGHT" in red.

No, it's nothing towards actually making the car go on the road but psychologically it's making progress.

Phil

attachicon.gif20181014_211229.jpg

Orange or white front lights?

That's a proper old cadmium glass bulb too, so a nice shade of orange (sadly it's counterpart broke many years ago).

Phil

leave it like that and then fit 1 french yellow head light on the opposite side to really fuck with people  :mrgreen:

on a more serious note do ya have a picture of the old cadmium glass indicator bulb? im curious about its details I dont think iv come across a Proper coloured glass indicator bulb before, just Cadmium yellow head lamp bulbs (but iv never heavily focused on automative lighting)

as to what I prefer hard for me to say, as these are running lights not just indicators right?

leave it like that and then fit 1 french yellow head light on the opposite side to really fuck with people  :mrgreen:

on a more serious note do ya have a picture of the old cadmium glass indicator bulb? im curious about its details I dont think iv come across a Proper coloured glass indicator bulb before, just Cadmium yellow head lamp bulbs (but iv never heavily focused on automative lighting)

as to what I prefer hard for me to say, as these are running lights not just indicators right?

Tomorrow I can. It's a standard 1157NA bulb. Very similar to the 5/21W twin filament (it's 8/23W) used in tail/brake lights there. In this instance it's parking light (sidelight) and indicator rolled into one.

Phil