1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Put in an hour tonight.

post-5454-0-22593500-1538273078_thumb.jpg

Gasoline, toothbrush.

post-5454-0-17951200-1538273145_thumb.jpg

Like magic, it's clean.

I took a look underneath and scraped off some dirt, it would appear the bracket comes off the bottom- mine is fractured. I can get some more steel and have a piece welded on.

Phil

Somewhere inside the resonator can there's a few bits of crap rattling around. There's only 3 holes in the tube, about 1/2" each, leading to it but I can foresee these bits of crap either getting drawn in or rattling around forever.

I'm trying to devise some method of cleaning them out of there. Typically the thing is all spot welded together for convenience.

Phil

It does look like a bit of a chinese puzzle; may need to cut a hole in the underside, remove mouse debris and then make a invisible* repair.

it's got a big twelve foot long sump

How does it deal with all the oil not slopping to one end of the engine under acceleration or (more likely) braking? I've seen this effect in Landrover 4-cylinder engines: Brake hard enough and the oil pressure lamp comes on. 2 seconds after you stop, it goes back off again. Clearly all the engine oil buggers off for a while, and then comes back again.

On a Straight-eight, this effect must be massive!

Started by sanding the body of the air filter back with my DA sander with 800 grit.

post-5454-0-18049300-1538346036_thumb.jpg

Got the rest of the nooks and crannies with stainless steel brush.

post-5454-0-87387600-1538346050_thumb.jpg

Slapped on Loctite's version of Kurust.

post-5454-0-48560300-1538346062_thumb.jpg

Seems to be the same stuff, goes on white, dries purplish black.

post-5454-0-79387000-1538346077_thumb.jpg

Set it outside to dry.

post-5454-0-75096500-1538346092_thumb.jpg

Once dry it got first coat of etch primer. That's going to dry thoroughly, I'll rub it flat with high count paper, probably another coat of primer then put on some black.

Phil

Only just seen this, effin' fantastic! Read it right through in one go, and I want MORE! Such a beautiful car and just the right stage of restoration required, not for me obviously because electrics and I don't do electrics but you seem to be able to do them in your sleep so just right. The engine (post tappet adjustment) sounds lovely and even without manifolds wasn't noisy but did sound... better. I'm not sure if I'm just jealous or I actally want to murder you and pinch it, one or the other :)

Don't worry, I am a coward and wouldn't hurt anyone and I don't have a passport so you're safe, at least from me, I'm not sure about some others on here who desire your ve-hic-el even more than I do!  :)

post-5454-0-74349500-1538436431_thumb.jpg

Painted the other side. I think probably enough for tonight, let that dry and see how it looks tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to stop at the hardware store tonight, arrived home from work after the place had closed. Tomorrow will probably be much of the same story. I do have other things to do in the interim so that's ok.

Phil

This is a bloody lovely thing to behold. I imagine it's even more lovely in the flesh.

I'm glad you aren't tempted to drop an LS1 or whatever in as that seems to be what everyone does with anything classic in the states - or have I watched too much TV.....

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

attachicon.gif20181002_181154.jpg

Spot the new part.

That's just sat on there without the oil bath bowl or filter gauze. It'll get dirty in time.

Phil

Looks great but when you drop a part like that into a bay that previously didn't look too bad, it makes you want to paint everything else

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk