1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Thanks for all these tales of spiders and snakes. I was really looking forward to collecting my Thunderbird that has sat around since the 80's, but now I'm not so sure

It'll be fine*

I would keep an eye open for spiders. Have a can of wasp spray ready. They like to hide up in sheltered nooks- wheel arches, dashboards, up inside box sections.

You'll probably find if anything the spiders will be expired but they may have left nests of babies. The vehicle should have been steam cleaned before it left the home port, and again upon entry to the UK.

Actually you are right, NyQuil talking here.

You need to keep the title at home and the paper registration certificate in the car. Not the title!

But it's where you see the TV and they ask for license, registration and insurance please.

Phil

Germany oz nz similar

Who dissed Renault

Be glad it's not one of these

post-4817-0-37619300-1537369430_thumb.jpg

Stopped at NAPA today on the way home, bought some regular grease for my grease gun. Ended up greasing the lawn tractor up properly, greased one point on the front suspension on the Chieftain because I could get to it from the engine bay.

I don't know which was the more dry...

Oiling and greasing regime soon to be put in place. Also, they do sell non-detergent SAE 30 viscosity oil as specified by the manual (apparently air compressors commonly call for it) but only in quarts. That'll work well enough for 2000 mile changes, I think.

Being as there's no oil filter, the design calls for particulate matter not to be pulled and held in suspension by the detergents and pumped around the engine (normally caught by the filter), but rather let fall to the bottom of the oil pan to be drained out. The oil pan should be dropped every 5 changes and cleaned, along with the gauze screen on the pump pickup.

I presume that calls for moderately regular decoke cycles? I've never run an engine with no oil filter before.

Phil

Do what everyone else seems to do and just never change the oil ever then, when the engine eventually seizes solid, put an LS1 in it.  Be sure to set all this to overloud clipart standard RAWK music*, shout a lot, and throw chairs at your neighbours.  You'll be rich in no time.

Any external plumbing you could add an oil filter too?

On old Brit bikes like mine it's a common mod. But they are dry sump so more pipework outside the engine.

Not really. The oil pump is in an external nodule on the bottom right of the engine, with the pickup pipe direct from the sump. It then feeds into the main oil gallery that runs the length of the engine.

It does have a moderately large sump, so the sheer volume of oil does help. They did reckon it to be a high mileage engine so long as you maintain the service intervals, mainly because it's so low revving by today's standards.

That and it's not going to really be a high mileage vehicle so I'm thinking oil changes on a slightly more regular basis than recommended (grease service interval is 2000 miles, oil change 3000), might as well change the oil when it's up on the ramps to be greased.

Phil

Similar age to the Triumph twin design in my bike, that just had a gauze mesh too. Which has now got me wondering when oil filters became common place?

Started out this morning with a bit of spare time.

post-5454-0-37847500-1537639141_thumb.jpg

Breakfast and clockwork. Added a voltage regulator into the back of the clock.

post-5454-0-52076300-1537639500_thumb.jpg

Oh yes. After having set it up and reset the spring it now starts itself. This is a good thing. Before it needed a tap to make it go.

post-5454-0-05300200-1537639613_thumb.jpg

Tick tock!

Phil

Oh, and another Brucie Bonus- went out to the garage to get my AA tweezers to tweak the spring and removed another spider (this one was in the grille of the car making a web to the floor).

I am starting on a circuit diagram with physical layout within the car so I know which way to pull cable to make loom.

Phil

Such is life.

Had seen that when we went to Tennessee a few years back, we went as far as Cherokee but everything was closed at that time of the year. Nothing up there opens until about June.

Bit of a trek from here, too!

Phil

I think I might have said they might not be quite open

I've had a pita day

I'm such a putz

I like this car a lot. It puts me in mind of the Blue Car from the Milky Way ad :D

Yup, a few people pointed that out already :)

I had forgotten about that advert until someone pointed it out to me!

Edit: Just went watch it again and noticed that the reflection of the traffic lights change in the UK pattern... Red, red+amber, green. Funny.

Phil

I decided to look at the ignition switch I bought.

It was a little intermittent so I bent back the peened edges on the back and took it to bits.

post-5454-0-06664700-1537649980_thumb.jpg

Not too bad but I cleaned all the points up.

I then discovered that all three of the connections get connected at one time, and only on the middle selection.

Strange, thinks I.

I then pull on the key in the middle position and it comes out. Erm.

I try twist it and it selects the middle and the right with no key in. Left is only available with the key in.... Oh.

So, this has a position where you can lock it off with the key, or select it to off and remove the key and have the vehicle operable without the key and with no way to secure it.

Aha. Commercial key switch for things like delivery vans, where you turn up, take the keys with you for the rear door but want to keep it running or switch it off easily. Also gives the option of no key to lose on the rounds (pocketed) and then you can secure it at the end of the day.

Funny. Wonder what the insurance companies and safety elves would make of that these days.

Phil

I suppose you could create a bypass filter arrangement using a belt drive dry sump scavenge pump and just put the inlet and outlet into the sump pan; it would take a lot of miles to justify the expense though, the money would pay for a lot of oil changes.