1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

What about powering the gauges & senders off one of the many cheap Chinese adjustable regulator modules to convert down to 6v?

I was thinking about it but I have to pull it to bits to replace the oil pressure gauge.. if I have to do that then I'll just convert it to electric because any old gauge is likely to have the same fault, the senders have been changed anyway and I can't find the correct Pontiac one easily and the fuel tank sender is U/S. So, convert the lot to modern senders and negate the pain while retaining the look and feel of the originals.

(Says you, three speedometers later!)

Phil

Was that heating system a special order for colder states or standard? Looking with envy at what you've posted the whole car has features that would be associated with much more recent cars in the UK.

Special order. As was the demister heater and fan unit. And the dipping rear view mirror, and the traffic light viewer, indicators, radio and deluxe interior package (nicer material, two tone door cards with the silver trim). 8 cylinder engine with automatic gearbox was also optional extras, exterior side trim too.

Someone checked quite a lot of boxes when they ordered this car.

Phil

I would but I already ordered the voice coil gauges. I'm aiming for moderate simplicity on this car.

The most I had considered practically is a interior theatre light conversion (stays on for a while after the doors are closed, then fades off).

Phil

I had a 6v Beetle with a seperate 12v battery just for the starter.

The 12v battery only needed an overnight charge every few weeks; starting was so quick with the extra starter volts. The engine was an oil burner, absolutely knackered and an impossible bastard to start on the 6v battery.

The starter motor had a MUCH easier life with double volts.

New gauges have shipped from that there India this morning via FedEx.

Apparently they'll be here before October.

Quite impressive really. Especially so for $29 delivered; I guess I'll see if it was folly or financial sense to have bought them when they get here and I pull them to bits.

Also went in to investigate the spiderweb in the front of the car (will need to spray for bugs now, looks like a brown widow web, and I do not need one of those up inside the dashboard) and found the fourth green lens circle for the gearshift indicator under the front seat. It must have fallen out when I undid the mechanism. I'll put that back in when I fix the bulb.

Phil

New gauges have shipped from that there India this morning via FedEx.

Apparently they'll be here before October.

Quite impressive really. Especially so for $29 delivered; I guess I'll see if it was folly or financial sense to have bought them when they get here and I pull them to bits.

Did you tell them what sensor ranges they needed to work for? I messaged about at set of specials and they were confident they could do them at the same price, the gauges from India are common on tractors apparently and I haven't heard any moaning.

Is it time yet?

post-5454-0-87142600-1536967501_thumb.jpg

Pulled the clock apart because it was filthy.

post-5454-0-61057400-1536967571_thumb.jpg

It's a Jaeger movement inside and putting a battery on it makes it tick. I should be able to run this one through a resistor.

post-5454-0-87999000-1536967598_thumb.jpg

It's also freaking awesome when it's lit up.

post-5454-0-13815300-1536967613_thumb.jpg

Looks much nicer back in the dash, too.

Phil

Is it time yet?

attachicon.gif20180914_171413.jpg

Pulled the clock apart because it was filthy.

attachicon.gif20180914_171441.jpg

It's a Jaeger movement inside and putting a battery on it makes it tick. I should be able to run this one through a resistor.

attachicon.gif20180914_181110.jpg

It's also freaking awesome when it's lit up.

attachicon.gif20180914_181837.jpg

Looks much nicer back in the dash, too.

Phil

jimmy buffett

Also went in to investigate the spiderweb in the front of the car (will need to spray for bugs now, looks like a brown widow web, and I do not need one of those up inside the dashboard) and found the fourth green lens circle for the gearshift indicator under the front seat. It must have fallen out when I undid the mechanism. I'll put that back in when I fix the bulb.

Phil

My brother lives in the states and has told me about a few of the precautions he has had to take because of spiders, even when doing stuff like getting a new fridge when he was in Tucson, what a different world. Over here if you get a web you wipe it off with your hand or give a blast with WD40 if you are wuss.

post-5454-0-53603200-1537060486_thumb.jpg

Can you find it? (Camera focused on the wires not the critter)

post-5454-0-01661800-1537060435_thumb.jpg

Happy dance! (Also please note accessorizing shirt sent by my mother as a gift, which is a better color match than the paint repair on the rear door).

post-5454-0-45428100-1537060451_thumb.jpg

Gotcha, ya bastard.

Edit: Also be scared at the wiring. Though, be impressed by the standard accessory fuse box. I have the lid for it, too!

Phil

I am going to check again after breakfast there are no more- those ones are usually solitary and fight any intruders.

I mostly need to make sure there aren't any egg thingies hanging up in the wiring. Now I know where the thing was stalking from the egg things won't be far away if there are any. I think that one got inside recently though.

Phil

I may also pull the hood release cable out. It's jammed in an amusing* fashion, and the end has come off.

Therefore oiling it hasn't helped any (unlike the ventilation flaps ones surprisingly) so I may just pull the whole thing out, straighten the bent bits then fight for hours trying to get it to go back inside the spring outer.

Probably to find then it's too short

Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phil

Tried to pull hood release with pliers. No joy. Continuing to oil it up.

Gauges are making good progress, they cleared customs in Tennessee this morning.

I guess I need to try and figure out how the dash comes out...

There also appears to be a defecit of spider inside the cabin. I am happy. Oiled up the screws that hold the heater box together, going to try pull that apart at some point to see how it works and why it was disconnected from the plumbing.

Phil