1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Cloth seats and twin reversing lamps, you are living it up. Not much chod has reversing lamps fitted.

Optional extras! Sadly they aren't the originals, but they're period vintage.

Originally they had 33W bulbs in. Closest I could get was these, 30. They now significantly light up the area behind the car- useful for around here where street lighting is optional.

Phil

Well, crap.

I had stuffed the keys to the Chieftain into my pocket earlier after taking the picture with the reversing lights on.

I then went to the store, must have dragged the keys out of my pocket with my car keys and dropped them onto the floor because they're gone.

Nobody turned them in either

Blah.

Phil

Edit: Still no keys, bought a replacement pushbutton for the starter, to go with the replacement ignition switch I bought.

If that's the case then the only real irritation is the key for the trunk did work, the door locks didn't work though.

Ack, sorry to hear that!

It's one reason I have a huge bundle of keys (having four cars has nothing to do with it...the van having about a million keys doesn't help). If I drop them it's impossible for me not to notice usually.

Does mean that the day I inevitably do... I'll be well screwed however...

Think pretty much all mainstream American stuff of this era had a seperate chassis.........Hudson had a perimeter frame, as you say, and was considered really radical. I think that we, on this side of the pond, had better roads than in rural America..................

Roads in Europe, even the British ones, are far better engineered and maintained than most roads in the US.  Even the interstates have junctions that would give a British civil engineer heart failure. 

Well, crap.

I had stuffed the keys to the Chieftain into my pocket earlier after taking the picture with the reversing lights on.

I then went to the store, must have dragged the keys out of my pocket with my car keys and dropped them onto the floor because they're gone.

Nobody turned them in either

Blah.

Phil

Edit: Still no keys, bought a replacement pushbutton for the starter, to go with the replacement ignition switch I bought.

If that's the case then the only real irritation is the key for the trunk did work, the door locks didn't work though.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've never lost keys before. However I have miss placed the 1100 keys. Luckily 1970s worn out locks are so rubbish, my garage key opened the drivers door. The same drivers door that is no longer attached to the car.

Just ordered a crimp tool and some of the correct #8 flag fork connectors. And some bullet connectors and a 6V bucking converter for the gauges and a new brake light switch.

Correct lockset for the car (55-58 Chevy truck) available and not hugely expensive ($100-ish).

This car gonna make me po'

It's sad to say, but to a degree the Pontiac is better engineered than the Renault.

Sure, the tolerances and metallurgy from the Regie are better but the Renault wasn't designed with home repair in mind. It was definitely part of the beginning of "just replace the part", which was ultimately the car's demise because Renault pulled out of sales the year it was released.

The Pontiac? Well, all I have to say on that front is "GM Parts Bin".

Phil

post-5454-0-91019100-1540396365_thumb.jpg

Starter button arrive! Original Delco part, with patina to match the rest of the dash. The repro ones are nice but don't have that domed finish to the end of the button, and this is a particularly tactile item and it's the first thing you see on the dash when you open the door.

Phil

That looks lovely, how much is a NOS starter push button for a 1951 Chieftain? Occasionally if there's a bargain on a certain internetz auction site I'll buy random ex-aircraft switchgear simply because the switch action always has a fabulous tactile feel to it. Sometimes I'll even make the effort to fit them to something.

Blimey that's good. Can only obtain 21 watters here. You only come to appreciate them when in a dark and unfamiliar area and don't know what's in the ground behind.

Sorry to digress Phil, but you can get these over here:

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/r796

Agree on the usefulness if you regularly have to reverse in unlit areas.

Had a bit of a go at the horn push.

It was, in short, unreliable. I cleaned up the contact ring because it was corroded and pitted.

post-5454-0-29628100-1540440144_thumb.jpg

Nice thing with round things is they go around and around! All cleaned up.

That didn't fix it. A little more work shows the ground to the column is the problem.

I'm probably going to pull it apart again and look at the ground paths.

Phil

Some stuff I ordered arrived in.

post-5454-0-84669400-1540587989_thumb.jpg

Brake light switch, crimp tool, flag connectors and a 12-6V converter for the gauges. I decided to go down that route instead as I'll only be running 2. The oil pressure gauge leaked when I blew in the line because it's not connected right so I'm going to try that one again...

Phil