Simple FSO collection & other stuff

nigel bickle

Yup, off early tomorrow to break down spectacularly someplace on the M1

Assuming I don’t , I’m ‘ inspecting’ a dead BX in Bedfordshire on the way back. Natch, I’ll not be carrying surplus deposit sized readies in my back pocket...No idea why, I’ve just passed on my BX Gti to a friend...

Pity the Saturn , (currently sitting in Mildenhall) doesn’t have a tow hitch. Two birds, one stone etc

Think I’m off for a lie down..

Well, first one down ,and I couldn’t have been more accurate...

post-758-0-41250400-1536065435_thumb.jpeg

post-758-0-08596400-1536065453_thumb.jpeg

Seems the vendor wasn’t being terribly truthful

He met me at the station, I saw him drive in, but didn’t want a lift home. It seemed to be running well, the paperwork sound, so I jumped in, headed south

It became very obvious before I was even out of Derby, that all wasn’t well, with the fan permanently on, a large water bottle hidden in the back, a rapidly pressurising engine, a growing split in the header tank and a very leaky ( read blown) radiator.

Pressurising? You bet.

I made Lutterworth before it became terminal, so pulled over, just off the motorway and summoned help

The RAC.

Having called them at noon, they turned up ( well sent a Contractor) at 7pm. I was well baked by then, but relieved I was heading home.

Except I wasn’t. I was moved to Bicester Services, and dumped a@ 8pm. I booked into a hotel.

8am the following morning they still couldn’t give me any idea of time, so I caught a train home, getting back about 11am, about 20 mins before the truck arrived on a RAC low loader.

Yup, if they had ever spoken to me, I’d have waited.

So, around 18 hours to move it 200 miles. We WILL be having words, with an anticipation of a large compo claim heading through the Judiciary.

Anyway, it’s now up the garage & will get it stripped over the next week or two - hardly complex.

Having had time to give it a good inspection, the rear brakes and pressure regulator are leaking, the indicators are sporadic, stereo bust but most importantly, the passenger floor seems to be missing! Carpet and 4 rubber mats seem to be the principle structural component here! Sills are crappy, and the divers crossmember looks like painted fibreglass to me... so expect a weld Fest!

I’d still have it, whatever. JUST LOOK AT IT,

Anyway, onto the next. Wartburg or Saturn next? Don’t know, but I have just agreed terms on another Pennant . Hadn’t moved in 20 years

Worra masochist..