Chancers trying for our money.

pandamonium

Just having a rant...... This was a conversation ( in part) on lada.co.ukThis forum member has joined purely to sell a car..FORUM NEWBIE-Riva Estate For Sale. Rust here and there, No MOT! Engine runs, Clutch stuck off (been standing in a barn for a couple of years). £100.00 ovno (or she fetch almost this for scrap).Phone Mike: 07775938402 (after 6.00 pm). Suffolk. ----- some posts by other members missed off-----PANDAMONIUM-Not to pour water on your ambitions, but £100 for a barn find is a bit steep. The scrapyard will not give you more than £20 cos Ladas don't make them much money. Even more so if its a pre cat one. I might be able to help 1st weekend in Jan if I get transport. Its the same one as mine, so would be useful for partsFORUM NEWBIE-The local one has offered £80.00 so instead of talking crap why dont you come on up to Suffolk and buy it. I'm not really fussed, just thought it seemed a shame to scrap such a good car. But I guess the rivet counters wont get this onePANDAMONIUM-I have seen too many chancers trying the " Buy it or I'll scrap it!" or "Buy it or I'll banger race it!" on enthusiasts cos they think it'll get a reaction. In my experience however, the cars usually turn out to be basket cases, so I'd say if the local 'yard has offered you £80. .. .. take it. Cos at this time of year, even the craziest car nut still has to count his pennies for xmas. Not to cause offence, I'm just saying you aren't the first to try it. You have obviously only joined the forum for your own benefit, just to offload a heap of junk. All I'm saying is, don't expect a miracle. A person on another forum has recently bought a mint Riva on a 'K' plate with MOT and tax and no mechanical faults for £195. So, £100 for a non working example without test is ludicrous. Just my opinion, sorry.

I don't have a problem with people joining a forum to sell a car. What would you rather...they just go scrap it? It's a Lada forum, right? The guy is selling a Lada, so it seems quite an appropriate place to sell it. If you don't want to pay what he's asking make an offer. If he doesn't accept it don't buy it. Simple. If £100 is too much to pay for a car then the Lada world must be populated by even bigger tightwads than the Datsun world, something I'd previously though not possible!

lol, I see what you're saying, its just the "buy it or I'll scrap it" line that is becoming overused. Ladas, for all their charm aren't worth a lot on the normal market. I just find his tactics a little annoying 'tis all. His first ever post on the site was about b****r racing Ladas, so he hasn't started well!

Anyone got a Fiat for sale with alloys on for around £100???? pmsl.Come to think of it I did a similar thing a few years ago with a Hyundai coupe. I only wanted the wheels, but the seller wouldn't split. I paid £85 for the car, removed the wheels, then got £45 scrap for it!

He didn't actually suggest that if nobody bought it he'd scrap it. He merely offered it for sale initially. Your response suggests it's worth next to nothing which pisses him off, quite understandably. I know I could get a damned sight more than £20 if I weighed a Lada in even where I live and the scrap price is shite round here. In some places it's well over £100/tonne for light iron. So personally, I think he has ever right to be offended by your post. He offered it for sale in good faith and got a negative response that wasn't really called for. It's not like he was asking an insane amount of money... just more than you wanted to pay.

i agree with Ratdat. He'd easily get the £80, and a ton is not such a vast amount to keep a car out of the scrapper. I've paid several times that to give cars a stay of execution. Some actually go on to brighter futures. Some await glory, but either which way, it's better than a poke in the eye. If it's nothing worth bothering with, weigh it in though. A lad today asked me to sell his Clio, it's in need of a few mechanical bits... what would it make on eBay? £75? Then take off the fees etc... I told him just to weigh it in. No hassles that way.

I saw that thread on www.lada.co.uk , basically Pandamonium is right because he's a mate whereas the other guy is a twat because he's not a mate. I would possibly go to Suffolk and beat him down on price if it were the right time of year and I didn't have to outlay about £1,000,000 and I didn't have about 1,000 projects on the go. Good on you Panda, you said what I was thinking apart from scrap pricing because I have no interest in scrap unless it's the motorised scrap I seem to buy on a daily basis!

Points taken fellas, I guess I'm just in a foul mood 'cos I can't even scrape together a ton! I've seen a few cars recently that I so want to save, but I guess you can't save 'em all. BTW the person in question calls himself - Russ Gaylord Fontana! Not that I condone any mocking. I now feel stupid for rising to the bait, oh well, live and learn.

I just don't know. I would if I had £100. It runs and isn't too rotten. I could do with a project to play around with, just have no cash till late Jan, plus need to replace my wifes car soon. I may have upset Mr Gaylord tho.....Quote----I think the honest answer to that is go f##k yourself. By the way as I've said I don't care if I sell it someone as a cheap car or scrap it.Oops, I do hope I haven't alienated a valuable forum member!

Thats very not bad. I put the question to Mrs Pandamonium and she sez.... Its horrible ( showed a pic of one) For Mrs P to like a car it must beHatchbackAuto5 doorsAuto chokePower steeringBlue , silver or blackOh, and not french.You can see my difficulties!She actually wantsFord FocusFord FusionFiat Panda (new)and thats about it!!!!!