Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Allegro 3 - Stormy Petrol

Project

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,851 posts
  • 88 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

My plan is to work my way around the car anti clock wise. This may take some time.

I'm working from drivers side and clockwise with my 1100. I'll race you to see who can finish first! I may have a headstart but the 1100 has more holes...
  • cort16 likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#62 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 21,175 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

Given the time it took me to do the cortina I wouldn’t count yourself out!
  • Tickman and SiC like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#63 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 9,971 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationDoing the school run

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

Good you've got it started..

The timer is running - I expect to see it at September Scotoshite;)
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#64 ONLINE   Squire_Dawson

Squire_Dawson

• Full Members
  • 2,331 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

On a 3 door car, where is the 3rd door?

Squeak, rattle and roll.

Thanks restorer.

Save the Pangolins.

Current shite:

1952 Morris Oxford Series MO - Sidevalve Shite

1959 Humber Super Snipe - Big banger

1962 Morris 1000 Traveller - English Tudorbethan

1975 Austin Allegro 1100 DL - m'Lod

Please look out for hedgehogs!

#65 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 21,175 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

In the floor
  • RobT, 320touring and SierraMikeHotel like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#66 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 21,175 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

Hello I'm the hole in the floor. I'm hoping to be the first to be welded.

IMG_0762.JPG

Some fat guy is trying to fix me. He made a rough template then screwed a patch in place. The idea being to cut me out at the same time as making my replacement.

It was going well until the idiot realised he'd used all his 1mm cutting discs making fuck knows what. Ho hum I'll just have to sit here being screwed until ebay delivers some more discs.

IMG_0766.JPG

I also cleaned, ku-rusted and undersealed the top of the tank. Given the finish it looks like I used a dead hedgehog. I didn't it was alive.

IMG_0767.JPG

I also tidied  up this hole, cleaned off all the rust on the other side and primered it. I've also got a little patch made up to be epoxyied in once it arrives.

It may seem a bit of a bodge but this metal is so fucking thin I recon one touch from the mig and I'd blow a hole to the door handle.

IMG_0764.JPG

Slowish progress with my 1/2 an hour a day. I recon I'm going to get 2hrs a week on this unless I stop drinking on a Saturday night and spend my Sunday mornings in the garage (this is not going to happen).

• danthecapriman, privatewire, michael t and 17 others like this

#67 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 9,971 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

I can come and swear/pass incorrect spanners/drink all your tea if needed.

We can do fuelling welders like Tickman and I did on the Oxford
  • cort16 likes this

#68 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 21,175 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

I might try to organise that!
  • 320touring likes this

#69 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,061 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

My grandad was quality control inspector on the Allegro line for a while,make of that what you will! He had three Maxis

Is that so he had a spare for when one broke down?
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#70 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,771 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Top hedgehoging skills there.

• cort16 and tooSavvy like this

#71 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 21,175 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

Well this got out of hand. I ended up having to put filler panels in then seam weld it all on the outside to get it into one part. It's a bit of dogs dinner to be honest  but at least it's not a hole. This bit wasn't even needed for the MOT!

The metal is so thin my welder can barely weld it so I think I may need to re-think my strategy for welding it the rest of it up.

I was speaking to my Dad on the phone tonight telling him about it being in decent condition for the year because it had been ziebarted. He used to be a painter and panel beater and he said "does that ziebart stuff, not catch fire?" Yes, yes it does. I thought I'd cleaned most of it off but it's like lighting a candle if you get enough heat in it.

Also note new bonus rust holes.

IMG_0799.JPG

The hole below the windscreen is made of metal so thin Bruce Lee could probably one inch punch his way through it. I really didn't want to weld it so bought so of this epoxy putty stuff. The putty itself is like dolly mixture and has the putty on the outside and the hardener in the middle. You break a bit of then just mix it up with your hands.

s-l1600.gif

I made up a bit of metal, taped it in place then squished the putty over the back of the metal and filling the rest of the hole. I left it over night and its totally sold.

Just needs a bit* of filler

IMG_0800.JPG

I should really be moving onto the door but I think I'll focus on what it needs for it's MOT and go for the hole in the inner wing next.

• trigger, michael t, RobT and 7 others like this

#72 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 9,971 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:54 PM

Excellent! Gunna be a looker soon:)
  • cort16 likes this

#73 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,771 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

The metal won't only be thin, it'll be variable consistency and quality throughout too so it doesn't matter what you do with your welder it'll be an absolute arse to work on.  Still, it's easier than trying to weld a Xantia, or a BX for that matter, so it could be worse.  Repairs so far are perfectly acceptable for what this is, you should arrest further development on that window surround for a few years yet.  If you can joddle the edges it will make life loads easier when you come to doing that door, the metal then ends up being a reasonable thickness to work with.

• cort16 likes this

#74 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

Deputy Vice-Pomfrite of the Titicacan Legation

• Full Members
  • 1,725 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:31 AM

The ziebart stuff won't help with ease of welding either, crappy BL steel aside.

post-9424-0-06631200-1530529320.jpg

#75 OFFLINE   Nibblet

Nibblet

• Full Members
  • 3,150 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationGlouchestershite

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

Makes me feel better about my Saab, the steel is consistent quality and 22 gauge- that's about 0.8mm. The floor pan and some other areas are about 1.2mm.
I kinda assumed Saabs were made of British steel though, I know Volvo sourced their steel from the UK.

1972 Saab 96 (pond algae green)
1988 Benz 230E, Bruno FDR Stuttgart taxi
2012 Volkswagen T5 2.0tdi LWB (Not Dubber)

#76 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 21,175 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

Remember that little hole in the boot floor above?

Well.

IMG_0825.JPG

The metal was so thin and perforated when I started going at it I thought the there's no point in stopping cutting out until it's all out. 

Unfortunately it also went quite far into the rear valence. When I was squeezing it to see how juicy it was it was making that crispy rust sound , which makes the owners of old cars everywhere shudder.  Once I ran the grinder up it, it was clear the rust was just being held in place by the ziebart. It's good stuff that but I'm pretty sure it's not structural

That me putting the first bit back in. I think it might be a bit of a jigsaw but I've bought myself a joddler hole punch to assist.

IMG_0827.JPG

It's a total chinesium special that cost £15.99 from ebay. It turned up 2 days later and feels pretty substantial and I think it's going to to be pretty essential to tackle that door skin.

I've been given a 10 minute instructional on how to to replace that section by someone who knows what they're talking about. Basically you joddle the metal and push it up behind the existing skin so it's flush and you have half a chance of welding it. Lets see how that pans out.

Familiar to old car fans everywhere

IMG_0826.JPG

Slow progress with work life and family selfishly getting in the way of welding up my Allegro. 

The cortina has been tucked up in the garage and not moved since. I'm having some thoughts about selling it as I'd like an un pissed around with early mk5. 

• RobT, dome, oldcars and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users