Allegro 3 - Stormy Petrol

cort16

This will be a good economical car capable of year round use once done. They cut through snow like butter and handle like a go-kart. The main rot spot in your pictures are where they all go, most important is the suspension tie-rods. These can be unbolted from underneath and treated, but it is the critical area. Rear screen can be removed and the areas treated and filled. Same goes for the wing, you can use filler around the lamp unit but the bonnet slam panel looks quite bad so will need welding. Also drop the petrol tank as a matter of urgency as they rot where they meet the boot. It will undoubtedly be rusty but if it's leak-free should be saveable.

You have quite a rare car there and the door-rear window trim is very unusual. This is the best Allegro you could've bought: a Series 3 2-door. Good luck with it.

I also think it needs or will need a clutch very soon as the biting point is very high.

It may only require adjustment. There is an adjustable stop on the bellhousing which the clutch arm rests on. Try adjusting this first. But it depends if the last owner habitually rode the clutch.

That’s a bit of a bargain! Is there much history with it? I’ve seen these allegro 3.0s with single and quads- was it just very late ones that had quad lights or was it the top spec (well below VDP at least)

For some reason I’ve always really liked the BL cars* tart up job on the allegro 3

*or whatever it was that week (leyland cars perhaps)

It may only require adjustment. There is an adjustable stop on the bellhousing which the clutch arm rests on. Try adjusting this first. But it depends if the last owner habitually rode the clutch.

Thanks I’ll give that a shot. It’s not slipping but very high.

Allegro 3 launched in 1979; spec levels base (no leters), L (like the OP's) and HL (quad lights and vinyl roof).  Facelifted in 1981 (A+ 1.0 and 1.3 engines replacing 1100 and 1300 A-series) and spec levels all shifted up ie L now lowest spec, HL mid spec and HLS the new designation for top spec (quad lights but vinly roof now only an option).

Those incongruous chrome strips below the side windows appear on a number of early series 3s, to the extent it does seem they may have been factory fitted!