4x4 versions of standard cars

sierraman

I don't think that's true - I went to a lot of BTCC in the 1990s - ALDI did win the 96 by using 4wd - but in my recollection then changed the rules as the ALDIs were indeed way ahead. No-one else much used 4WD and it was banned for BTCC in 1998.

In the 1994 Season Review video Andy Rouse does say they tested 4WD (and maybe RWD I can't recall) but decided against it.

attachicon.gifmaxresdefault.jpg

Always gets a mention in this case, the oddly 4x4'd Eagle Sport, also available in wagon.

Phil

The AMC Eagle Wagon is one of my favourite American Motors (so to speak).

8802521747_7bc5dd545a_z.jpgAMC Eagle Wagon '1980 by Человек!, on Flickr

It's like their response to the Subaru 4x4 estates and I applaud AMC for having made it.

Volvo did various 4WD versions of their cars. The V70 XC (Cross Country) springs to mind as Six-cylinder had one for a while. It was nice enough and did a good job of the whole grippy thing, but the turning circle was woeful and the fuel economy was about 2/3 of my V70 T5...

post-22262-0-78801000-1534526608_thumb.jpg post-22262-0-48712200-1534526605_thumb.jpg

After getting my BMW 518 embarrasingly stuck on flat, wet grass, I got obsessed by obscure 4wd cars. This would be about 25 years ago, managed to find one of those 4wd Lancers to try (very slow, live rear axle) and then a Renault Savanna which I might have bought if the seller hadn't been aggressively pissed. (Boot floor is raised a long way making the estate space very much less use than a regular R21)

Crashed the BMW and bought a Renault Alpine instead of anything sensible and grippy. Never got that stuck.

edit - another near miss was a Toyota estate that said 4 WD on the tailgate but the gearbox was on the edge of being no-wheel drive - all the gears were in virtually the same plane as reverse......

What’s the difference between a Golf County and a Syncro?

There was also the very rare 2.9i Sierra GLS. Usually on steelies with hubcaps.

Quite a lot of plod had these, was West Yorkshire Police's choice in both hatch and Sapphire, one was written off chasing kids on stolen motorbikes round my old school playing field, took one of the slopes a bit too quick, and took to the air, landed with a hell of a wallop and the suspension collapsed. This all happened around lunchtime so was a bit of a dodgy chase tbh

Volvo did various 4WD versions of their cars. The V70 XC (Cross Country) springs to mind as Six-cylinder had one for a while. It was nice enough and did a good job of the whole grippy thing, but the turning circle was woeful and the fuel economy was about 2/3 of my V70 T5...

attachicon.gif02-Nov-16 - Volvo V70XC - side.jpg attachicon.gif02-Nov-16 - Volvo V70XC - rear.jpg

They did the previous shape too and it was much nicer to drive.

Phase one V70R AWD were a lot of fun too, lift for sideways and boot it when it's pointing where you want to go.

Volvo did various 4WD versions of their cars. The V70 XC (Cross Country) springs to mind as Six-cylinder had one for a while. It was nice enough and did a good job of the whole grippy thing, but the turning circle was woeful and the fuel economy was about 2/3 of my V70 T5...

attachicon.gif02-Nov-16 - Volvo V70XC - side.jpg attachicon.gif02-Nov-16 - Volvo V70XC - rear.jpg

My parents in law had one of these which was a bit pointless most of the time but really proved its worth one evening in the snow when all the roads were gridlocked overnight and we took to the back lanes to get home. It was quite impressive actually.

That ebay 4WD Corolla on the last page is actually one of the least interesting offered. They also did them with the 1.6 20v (160bhp @ 7800rpm), usually with Auto gearboxes;

maxresdefault.jpg

As a closet Carina E licker I'm partial to the 4WD TZ Caldina, which is rare even on Japanese Auction Sites;

toyota-caldina-tz--006.jpg