Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Sold

Clio saved. A happy ending

Sold

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 ONLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,902 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk/Suffolk border

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

To be honest, I can't take any credit for saving it as that must go to D Spares firstly, then BeEp. He quite literally snatched it from the jaws of the crusher and got it tested, therefore turning it from a car that really only scrap dealers would want, to a car Autoshiters were fighting over! (well two anyway).

It is a great little car though, far better than it appeared initially. Obviously I intend to keep it running forever.

• Lacquer Peel, BorniteIdentity and Fumbler like this

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 
1958 Austin A55 Cambridge

1959 Austin A35 

1980 Vauxhall Royale 2.8 auto

1983 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base (1/5) 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

1996 Renault Clio 'Nicole'

#122 ONLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,902 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Apparently one of the previous owners of this little car still has the parcel shelf and interior light! Pity Mr Spares wasn't privy to that knowledge when it left Shropshire. It's up for grabs if anyone can figure out the logistics.

PM sent - would be good to reunite these missing bits with the car.

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 

1959 Austin A35 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

#123 ONLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,902 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:39 AM

Did a bit of work on the Clio this weekend. First up, oil and filter change as it's done about 10k since it was last done. Had to grind down the flats on an old 3/8" drive ratchet to make a tool to undo the sump plug - which was very tight. I suspect the previous garage had used a Pela pump to change the oil. I went at the oil filter expecting a right old battle, however it came off quite easily by hand. Had to replace the sump plug copper washer as it was properly mullered and I couldn't get it to seal properly. I considered annealing it, but it was too far gone really. Went to the local car spares shop and he sold me a steel and rubber composite washer of the right size, never used these before but fortunately it seems to be sealing well.

While I was under the car, I wiped an oily rag over the sump to clean it up and spent some time brushing mud off/looking for rot. Pleasingly there isn't really any, however there is a bit on the chassis above the front subframe that is starting to go. I couldn't get it to go through under thumb pressure, so have brushed some old engine oil on it to preserve it as access for a grinder is impossible without dropping the subframe. The other side was perfect, strangely.

The radio from my sister's Perodua is now fitted and working well. It's only got two speakers, both in the dashboard but they work very well. Also replaced the missing screw-in part of the ariel so it can actually find stations.

The air filter was like new so I removed some leaves and refitted it.

While I was buying the sump plug washer, I also bought a numberplate fixing kit, as rusty screws bleeding down number plates is a pet hate of mine. The front one was easy to do (having been fitted recently by BeEp) the rear was the original plate and one screw had turned to a rusty mess, the plastic cap having long gone. I managed to get molegrips onto it and did all four with new screws and caps, which looks much better for less than £1 outlay.

The clutch has always been on the heavy side. My dad managed to lubricate the clutch cable, which didn't do much to start with, but now I've driven the car back to Suffolk from Southend last night, the clutch is noticeably easier to push down. I'm sure it's still heavier than it should be, but I think it's just a bit tired. 

Have started a giffer style service book in a 'Happy Shopper' branded notebook where I've listed the oil change along with the date and mileage. New (or decent part worn) front tyres are next on the list as they're close to the wear limit.

• Burnside, barefoot, holbeck and 7 others like this

Current fleet:

1935 Standard 12
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 

1959 Austin A35 

1987 Austin Maestro 1.3L

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sold

0 user(s) are reading this topic