Did a bit of work on the Clio this weekend. First up, oil and filter change as it's done about 10k since it was last done. Had to grind down the flats on an old 3/8" drive ratchet to make a tool to undo the sump plug - which was very tight. I suspect the previous garage had used a Pela pump to change the oil. I went at the oil filter expecting a right old battle, however it came off quite easily by hand. Had to replace the sump plug copper washer as it was properly mullered and I couldn't get it to seal properly. I considered annealing it, but it was too far gone really. Went to the local car spares shop and he sold me a steel and rubber composite washer of the right size, never used these before but fortunately it seems to be sealing well.
While I was under the car, I wiped an oily rag over the sump to clean it up and spent some time brushing mud off/looking for rot. Pleasingly there isn't really any, however there is a bit on the chassis above the front subframe that is starting to go. I couldn't get it to go through under thumb pressure, so have brushed some old engine oil on it to preserve it as access for a grinder is impossible without dropping the subframe. The other side was perfect, strangely.
The radio from my sister's Perodua is now fitted and working well. It's only got two speakers, both in the dashboard but they work very well. Also replaced the missing screw-in part of the ariel so it can actually find stations.
The air filter was like new so I removed some leaves and refitted it.
While I was buying the sump plug washer, I also bought a numberplate fixing kit, as rusty screws bleeding down number plates is a pet hate of mine. The front one was easy to do (having been fitted recently by BeEp) the rear was the original plate and one screw had turned to a rusty mess, the plastic cap having long gone. I managed to get molegrips onto it and did all four with new screws and caps, which looks much better for less than £1 outlay.
The clutch has always been on the heavy side. My dad managed to lubricate the clutch cable, which didn't do much to start with, but now I've driven the car back to Suffolk from Southend last night, the clutch is noticeably easier to push down. I'm sure it's still heavier than it should be, but I think it's just a bit tired.
Have started a giffer style service book in a 'Happy Shopper' branded notebook where I've listed the oil change along with the date and mileage. New (or decent part worn) front tyres are next on the list as they're close to the wear limit.