Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Wanted

wanted an invacar AC Model 70 (and general ramble thread, with survivors list on Page 26 and thread index on page 1)

Wanted

• Please log in to reply
1219 replies to this topic

#1201 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

fine fine...

have a picture of TA1 :) I have fond memories of this bus type as well, as it was the Bus stagecoach ran on the 3 most local routes here (26 48 and 55), and I even remember TA1 specifically, because unlike the rest which had normal stagecoach seat patterns and plastic seat frame, TA1 had Routemaster style seat frames with the grey/rainbow stripe seat pattern.

TA1cb.jpg

#1202 OFFLINE   lanciamatt

lanciamatt

• Full Members
  • 225 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:02 PM

My favourite buses from been a kid well into my 20s were leyland national mk1 Barnsley and District had shit loads of them, they all went when stage coach took over
  • cms206 and LightBulbFun like this

#1203 OFFLINE   Jikovron

Jikovron

• Full Members
  • 160 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationChesterfield metropolis

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Leyland nationals are my favourite as per this thread seemingly as it's great to read total enthusiasm about machinery I can barely remember on the roads , I rode on the number 8 L.N. from Scottswood road to Kenton bar back in 2006 before they succumbed to progress and journey wise it included decent stretch of hill rising out of lemington most likely a good 1:10 of which provoked the Leyland 510 plant coupled to I guess a slow shifting automatic gearbox into a rather deafening rhythmic symphony of measured mechanical taps and cylinder pressure waves, memorable stuff especially when juxtaposed against contemporary modern quiet efficiency.
  • LightBulbFun likes this

#1204 OFFLINE   lanciamatt

lanciamatt

• Full Members
  • 225 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

It's a nice clatter from the 510 engine. If you go on you tube there is some good videos of mk1 nationals. Watch the one from south riding in Sheffield trying to start about 6 of them.

#1205 OFFLINE   lanciamatt

lanciamatt

• Full Members
  • 225 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

They have semi auto gearboxes the lever is to the right of the driver

#1206 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 9,465 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:47 AM

Useful* fact: whichever Invacar it is that's held by the Lakeland Motor Museum (plates not visible alas), is fitted with a steering wheel. Not sure how the controls work on that one.

1994 Volvo 850 T5 - brittle plastic turbo bikewagon

1991 Honda Civic GL - smells nice

2009 Mini Cooper S - Mother Ghosty's

#1207 OFFLINE   captain_70s

captain_70s

A Triumphant Moron

• Full Members
  • 2,437 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationWeegietown

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:52 AM

IIRC the one in Glasgow Transport Museum also has a steering wheel.

35lR772.jpg

#1208 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

Useful* fact: whichever Invacar it is that's held by the Lakeland Motor Museum (plates not visible alas), is fitted with a steering wheel. Not sure how the controls work on that one.

ahh that will be RPF19R luckily I have pictures of that with its plate visible :)

indeed iv noticed it has a steering wheel, but with some extra hand control, im not sure if its for brakes or for acceleration (or both?)

Im090625LM-ACInvacar77.jpg

IIRC the one in Glasgow Transport Museum also has a steering wheel.

indeed, GPG721K the oldest known surviving Model 70 :)

has regular car controls, (ie steering wheel, with brake and acceleration pedals)

http://autoshite.com...ge-1/?p=1758943

884444570c8dda02df8945b23ea3e6ae.jpg

im really curious what the millage is/if its ever been used given it still has a "running in" sticker... (also curious about its general story, being untaxed since 1978!)

you can also see the 2 different types of steering wheel control bellow :)

Screenshot 2018-12-18 at 16.29.23.png
invacar1.jpg

(its worth remembering you could get every control scheme with or without foot pedals, so you could have a steering wheel config entirely controlled by your hands, or a tiller configuration entirely controlled by your feet, with the tiller JUST for steering :) )

which is how I believe this one has been setup

A9C0F6.jpg

• Ghosty and mrbenn like this

#1209 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 1,461 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:35 AM

That lever to the right if the steering wheel is liable to be the brakes / throttle. Pull to go faster, push away to stop.

They fitted that system to some normal cars that were adapted for disabled drivers.

#1210 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

That lever to the right if the steering wheel is liable to be the brakes / throttle. Pull to go faster, push away to stop.

They fitted that system to some normal cars that were adapted for disabled drivers.

ah cool :)

yeah i had seen it on normal cars too but just couldn't recall how it functioned :)

(Also not 100% sure on the tiller one above, pretty sure the 3 pedals are for parking brake, foot brake and acceleration, but i do see a cable coming off the tiller that might be a throttle cable?)

#1211 OFFLINE   Snipes

Snipes

• Full Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

I know nothing about buses but I saw a poor condition "London bus" on a low laoder yesterday. It was either dirty white or a dull grey colour and looked like it had half the upper deck removed. Like how a midtop van would look next to a high top of the high top were the norm.
Didn't spot the reg, sorry.

#1212 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

aye a lot of Routemasters have been butchered and converted to open top sadly

im always weary of ones converted to Open top by non London Transport people, because the Routemaster is a monocoque design, so if you just go lopping the roof off it might lead to structural issues

granted iv not heard of any Open top RMs imploding LOL

on the Invacar front, now that iv got a couple sites that can look up NI reg plates, I decided to see, where the NI Model 70s done in batches or on a 1 off basis, and it looks like 1 one off basis, as Reg plates before and after SOI7570 and WOI654 are not Model 70s

I really do want to see the vin/lubrication plate on one of these NI Model 70s to see what the actual Date of manufacture is, because we know by the chassis numbers there all very Late Model 70s,

but I have a feeling they where registered a good few months or couple years after they where built (aka some good ol late registration madness :) ) because the NI Model 70s only 10s of cars away from the last known UK Model 70s, but have date of registrations either months or a year or 2 ahead, and I doubt it really took them 2 years to build 10s of Model 70s

(For example VES108S, Date of first registration is 13 Feb 1978, and its 8920, SOI7570 is 8955, but has a date of first registration of 1st December 1978, I doubt it really took them almost an entire year to build 35 cars, so I have a feeling SOI7570 may have sat around for a while before being registered in NI)

• egg likes this

#1213 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Not sure how I missed this

but I just noticed, WOO848S, is 8919, and VES108S is 8920, 2 consecutive invacars! :)

but sadly the last Invacars where a mess in terms of registration to vin plate (ie they where not done in sequence, so VES108Ss original reg number is probably not WOO849S probably, esp as that one comes back as an Invacar From 8th march 1978, sadly untaxed since before Y2K so i cant look it up for its VIN)

#1214 OFFLINE   Snipes

Snipes

• Full Members
  • 3,386 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

aye a lot of Routemasters have been butchered and converted to open top sadly

im always weary of ones converted to Open top by non London Transport people, because the Routemaster is a monocoque design, so if you just go lopping the roof off it might lead to structural issues

granted iv not heard of any Open top RMs imploding LOL

on the Invacar front, now that iv got a couple sites that can look up NI reg plates, I decided to see, where the NI Model 70s done in batches or on a 1 off basis, and it looks like 1 one off basis, as Reg plates before and after SOI7570 and WOI654 are not Model 70s

I really do want to see the Chassis plate on one of these NI Model 70s to see what the actual Date of manufacture is, because we know by the chassis numbers there all very Late Model 70s,

but I have a feeling they where registered a good few months or couple years after they where built (aka some good ol late registration madness :) ) because the NI Model 70s only 10s of cars away from the last known UK Model 70s, but have date of registrations either months or a year or 2 ahead, and I doubt it really took them 2 years to build 10s of Model 70s

(For example VES108S, Date of first registration is 13 Feb 1978, and its 8920, SOI7570 is 8955, but has a date of first registration of 1st December 1978, I doubt it really took them almost an entire year to build 35 cars, so I have a feeling SOI7570 may have sat around for a while before being registered in NI)

It must have had some kind of roof improvised because it wasn't open top, but looked like it may have been in the past.

#1215 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

It must have had some kind of roof improvised because it wasn't open top, but looked like it may have been in the past.

4371413098_1f47ae06eb_b.jpg

:mrgreen:

(for those wondering, only the top deck was lowered the bottom deck was just panelled over to give a lowered affect)

• egg likes this

#1216 OFFLINE   chancer

chancer

• Full Members
  • 235 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

im really curious what the millage is/if its ever been used given it still has a "running in" sticker... (also curious about its general story, being untaxed since 1978!)

Mileage is showing 19484!

#1217 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

very interesting :)

I wonder whats with the running in sticker then... (did it have an engine change or something prior to being donated?)

the Model 70 looks to be in very nice and clean shape so one would think its not been used and abused much...

#1218 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

another Electric invalid carriage has cropped up for sale https://www.carandcl...uk/car/C1092322

must be the season for them or something!

I do wonder why its been given an age related plate when in the photos it seems to be wearing something else if not the orignial? (maybe its been plate raped and stuck on retention as the original? plate does not show up on the DVLA)

heres a link to the first one that popped up for sale  https://www.carandcl...uk/car/C1083987

what are the chances of that 2 harding electric ICs for sale at the same time LOL :)

• mrbenn and egg like this

#1219 OFFLINE   egg

egg

• Full Members
  • 8,947 posts
  • 115 thanks
  • LocationHerne Bay

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

I reckon more than 12 made! I wonder if they have taken that figure from Stuart's book that says 12 made of the 'full bodied' Consort model - which is this one? 

https://www.flickr.c...w501/9499270179

£6k is a bit steep!

1967 Mk12c Invacar, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#1220 ONLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 1,625 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Well got another "mystery" parcel in my name today

only this time once I opened it and saw the contents I knew exactly what it was/who it was from :) (although I had a good idea before hand going by the weight of it LOL )

Image from iOS (69).jpg

its the Philips SL lamp Skizzer very kindly offered me in this post :) http://autoshite.com...47#entry1746870

(shown next to TWC mug full of 10 year old iPhones for size comparison  :mrgreen: )

im very happy thats its arrived and arrived intact, he did an awesome packing job, much better than most ebay sellers iv bought SL lamps off of in the past!

Image from iOS (70).jpg

here it is lit up :)

Image from iOS (71).jpg

im very happy to have a first generation Philips SL lamp in my collection once more and im very thankful to Skizzer for donating it to me and my collection  :)

for those wondering it was manufactured in August 1985, so literally mid 1980s as Skizzer says :)

• mrbenn, brownnova and egg like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wanted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users