DPF delete, Citroen C8

Lankytim

Hi all.

I’ve finally got round to having a look at this shite 55 reg Citroen C8 2.0 16v auto I bought recently.

It’s in good shape but is stuck in limp mode, EGR valve and DPF sensor issues (pressure value or something)

I spoke to a mobile ECU guy who thought he could delete the DPF and EGR in one go, but apparently there’s no software that can do it reliably and can’t help me.

Seems a pity to strip and scrap it but if it’s stuck in limp then what can you do?

Has anyone had any success with a DPF delete?

You should be able to spoof the sensor easily enough, can you figure the values it's looking for?

Nah they're really smart - they detect a pressure differential, this this difference needs to build up as expected with DPF soot load (calculated from the amount of diesel consumed and the operating conditions at which it was burned) and then it needs to know when to return back down when the engine does a regen etc etc. It of course dynamically changes with exhaust flow/rpm/load.

You might spoof it for a couple of days but without flashing it out of the ECU completely it'll come back. It's going to cause a lot of otherwise perfectly functional cars to get scrapped.

Unless the sensor is mega bucks, surely it's worth replacing and cleaning the DPF out.

Deletion will almost certainly be spotted at MOT time given how strict the smoke levels are for cars equipped with them. ANY visible smoke being an automatic fail for a start.

I've seen a fair few cars saved by having it manually cleaned nowadays. Oven cleaner and a pressure washer are your friends.

Nah they're really smart - they detect a pressure differential, this this difference needs to build up as expected with DPF soot load (calculated from the amount of diesel consumed and the operating conditions at which it was burned) and then it needs to know when to return back down when the engine does a regen etc etc. It of course dynamically changes with exhaust flow/rpm/load.

You might spoof it for a couple of days but without flashing it out of the ECU completely it'll come back. It's going to cause a lot of otherwise perfectly functional cars to get scrapped.

The sensor will even throw up a fault with an aftermarket dpf that is not made to the same spec as an OE one.

Modern diesels are a PITA.

Hi all.

Has anyone had any success with a DPF delete?

We did ours about 4 years ago - a firm in Leyland blanked it then told the car it was "open" (or closed I forget which) all the time so it didnt throw up an error code. They had a laptop with Lexia software.

Edit - My car is a non-fap so may have different witchcraft on board than yours.

I’d check the new mot regs before mapping it out. You can convince the car the dpf isn’t there but if it had a factory fitted dpf then it has to pass the no visible smoke test and various other shite they’ve added to the test .

I did it DIY on my C8, you need a means to read/write the ECU (eg MPPS, £notmuch on ebay) then you can either run the file through a tool called ECUsafe (available via piracy) or find a remap place that will edit the file for you.

Or, if you can read the file and send it to me I should be able to do it for you. 

Mine was a 2004 2.2HDi but I don't think it will be any different.

When I checked the before and after files the only change was a 1 changed to a zero in 4 places. I flashed the new file and drove for a few days to check there were no errors or owt before getting busy with a big SDS masonry bit to knock out the DPF contents. 

The protip from the C8 apologist Facebook group is only to knock out the centre 4 squares of the matrix, this allows plenty of flow whilst leaving some substrate around the edge so it doesn't sound hollow if Mr MOT knocks on it.

I did it DIY on my C8, you need a means to read/write the ECU (eg MPPS, £notmuch on ebay) then you can either run the file through a tool called ECUsafe (available via piracy) or find a remap place that will edit the file for you.

Or, if you can read the file and send it to me I should be able to do it for you. 

Mine was a 2004 2.2HDi but I don't think it will be any different.

When I checked the before and after files the only change was a 1 changed to a zero in 4 places. I flashed the new file and drove for a few days to check there were no errors or owt before getting busy with a big SDS masonry bit to knock out the DPF contents. 

The protip from the C8 apologist Facebook group is only to knock out the centre 4 squares of the matrix, this allows plenty of flow whilst leaving some substrate around the edge so it doesn't sound hollow if Mr MOT knocks on it.

I had no idea that you could do this as a DIY job. I need to do some research. So I need to read the file and save before it's edited? I also need to join the C8 FB page!

I had no idea that you could do this as a DIY job. I need to do some research. So I need to read the file and save before it's edited? I also need to join the C8 FB page!

You download the map file from the car, this gives you a file on your computer that is just a hex format data file.

You then edit the file changing the DPF switches from on to off.

Then you write the edited file back to the car, saving the original just in case. 

The only physical change you need to do is to smash out at least some of the filter, otherwise it will get clogged and could lunch your turbo due to excess backpressure. 

The sensors etc can all be left in place so it looks original, the car just ignores them if it's switched off in the ECU. 

It's one of the easiest to do and the only way anyone could tell it had been done is to remove the DPF or check the ECU for reflashing.

On mine I got about +10% mpg as well.

if your smashing out the DPF element yourself (as above); be well prepared with thick gloves, n eye protection; its some nasty shite that comes out in bits when they are well clogged up...

I've just used cleaner spray on our C4GP 1.6, saw a vid YouTube of a couple of fellas spraying it straight into the turbo with the engine running, sprayed it in in 2 second bursts and cleared the code (PO405) then towed our camper for 250 miles and the error hasn't come back soight be worth a try if it's your EGR not DPF that's the problem.. Also had the insides knocked out of the dpf on our 407 and had it reprogrammed, solved the problem and no comeback..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Cheapy scan tool / Bluetooth dongle and read codes . If you get a press sensor code and can access live data watch the press sensor reading - knackered ones will fluctuate if you give them a tap with the end of a spanner or similar . Loads of these have been superseded to a better design too .