Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

The Thunderbird has landed let the fun begin

Project

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,794 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

This guide to sequential turn signals might help

That's a symptom of inadequate diffusion of the amber LEDs, and inadequate regulation of the white ones. wank design not putting the indicators separately like they should and used to be.

FTFY

• DSdriver, mat_the_cat and spartacus like this
Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#152 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

As a '65 model you can also do the whole white front indicators thing too, just to give people the proverbial. Wasn't regulation to have orange front indicators here until '67 (there late '65) so should have 380's in the front too.

Plus I just went back and looked more closely at the interior. I love it!

Phil

The fronts are amber but having the side lights built in does make them a bit difficult to see. As I need to swap out the dipped beam headlamps for UK spec I will just get some with a side light bulb and wire them up, then just leave the fronts as Indicators. The interior is pretty good I am going to set off one of those insect killing bombs in there then give it a really good clean. I think it will come up well but I don't want to risk it just yet in case of spiders. I am fairly sure there are none still alive but not worth the risk.

'65 Ford Thunderbird just arrived from the US

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents) daily

'02 Toyota Yaris (faded paint and some dents)

#153 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

The fronts are amber but having the side lights built in does make them a bit difficult to see. As I need to swap out the dipped beam headlamps for UK spec I will just get some with a side light bulb and wire them up, then just leave the fronts as Indicators. The interior is pretty good I am going to set off one of those insect killing bombs in there then give it a really good clean. I think it will come up well but I don't want to risk it just yet in case of spiders. I am fairly sure there are none still alive but not worth the risk.

Wise. Just make sure it doesn't spray onto any plastics (dome light etc).

What's sidelights there are parking lights only here. You're not allowed to drive around with just the little lights on, headlights for the road only. That's why they're usually low down. You might find they turn off like on my Pontiac when you put the headlights on.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#154 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:01 PM

Today I haven't had a lot of time on the Thunderbird but I did get it to fire up for a second. I put a gravity fuel supply to the carb but the gaskets on the float chambers have shrunk and it barely got any fuel in the engine but loads all over it. I have ordered an overhaul kit for it so hopefully once that is sorted it will be a runner. Next up was stripping the brakes to see what is required and I suspect the calipers were replacements but had stuck again. All the pistons came out though so a pair of rebuild kits should get them working. I swapped the inner headlights for some new ones and ordered UK spec outers, but now it is on the 2 post lift I can't open the door to switch the lights on to see if they work. It is coming along nicely now and I don't think it will need many bits as it has had one side front suspension rebuilt and there are enough new parts in the boot to do the other side.

oct 18 050.JPG

oct 18 051.JPG

oct 18 056.JPG

oct 18 058.JPG

Note the split pin holding the old ball joint in. Lucky the suspension didn't fall apart on it's way here.

• Hertz, richardthestag, danthecapriman and 15 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#155 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:23 PM

Old bent nail.

Impressive engineering there. At least you know it's well and truly rusted in place, with rust taking the weight of the vehicle...

Phil
  • Skizzer likes this
131372.png

#156 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 15,039 posts
  • 40 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:39 PM

When you see the body shapes around the headlights you have to wonder if originally they intended to fare them in with a perspex cover or similar, and it was just American safety* regs on headlights that meant they didn't.

#157 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,794 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

I'm surprised to see vented discs, I'd imagined drums all round.

• STUNO likes this
Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#158 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Looking at similar era cars from different design houses suggests not- making stuff rounded and aerodynamic fell somewhat out of vogue by the late fifties, with flat shapes and angular designs taking over.

Right in the middle of the space race, everything had to be all Buck Rogers.

Phil
131372.png

#159 OFFLINE   Snipes

Snipes

• Full Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

Was it missing the shock absorbers (as it appeared to be in some older pictures)?

#160 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

One of the previous owners started to do a front suspension overhaul, by the look of the boxes of new bits in the boot I would of said back in the 80's. They had removed the shocks and the n/s front spring and have changed both ball joints and bushes on the n/s then it has all come to a halt. There are old shocks and the missing spring in the boot along with new top and bottom ball joints for the o/s. I have ordered up new shocks and hopefully a spring compressor that will do these springs, they are a bit unusual and need a special tool. It is coming along but I am now stuck for parts so won't do much more until next week.

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#161 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Fly in the ointment

• Full Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

Have you smoke bombed the interior? You could get that sorted and give it time to clear before you tackle interior clean/fix/leccy other bits...... Have to be honest - I'd be using a flame thrower - just to make sure! 

Looks fantastic though..... any bodywork/chassis surprises yet?

#162 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

Have you smoke bombed the interior? You could get that sorted and give it time to clear before you tackle interior clean/fix/leccy other bits...... Have to be honest - I'd be using a flame thrower - just to make sure! 

Looks fantastic though..... any bodywork/chassis surprises yet?

I now have the smoke bombs but have spent the day doing other bits so haven't set one off yet. Today's mission has been to get the old girl to fire up. The carb leaked like a sieve so I have fitted all new gaskets so now it only leaks a little bit. After lots and lots of cranking which involved getting a new battery rather than my tired spare she went. Clouds of smoke and running lumpy but I think it will be ok. I can't run it for long as there is no coolant in it due to leaking core plugs, but it does go !!!!. I then turned my attention to the front suspension and the tool I bought managed to release the other spring so I could change the ball joint but I just can't get the bastards back in. I will have another go next week as I have had enough for one day now and stink of stale petrol. (I am running it with a gravity feed and the fuel pump has started working spitting shit old fuel everywhere.) I have got the weekend off now so will resume this next week

• Vince70, Stevebrookman, Datsuncog and 4 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#163 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

Even though I have been away for the weekend I have had a little result. The wheels are odd on the car and I found out that the '65/'66 cars use different wheels to all the rest of the range and it is very difficult to find wheels that don't foul the calipers. It seems that the reason one of the calipers had been removed wasn't because of it sticking but the wheel fouling the caliper. After a bit of hunting I have been in touch with a guy who has a pair of wheels and a load of other parts including rear wheel spats that he will swap for my Mobyx moped. Unfortunatly he hasn't got a windscreen though so I am still in need of one but will have pretty much everything else.

• danthecapriman, eddyramrod, Vince70 and 5 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#164 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Fly in the ointment

• Full Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

Was taking munchkin swimming yesterday - spotted the front of this as we went past - so decided to show him what you've just imported........ This was rough as the proverbial....... 

T-Bird1.jpg

but looked incredibly 'up for it'

T-Bird2.jpg

disclaimer - not a yank-o-phile so this may be a different year/idel/trim - what of it?

• mercrocker and Stevebrookman like this

#165 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:16 PM

Was taking munchkin swimming yesterday - spotted the front of this as we went past - so decided to show him what you've just imported........ This was rough as the proverbial....... 

attachicon.gifT-Bird1.jpg

attachicon.gifT-Bird2.jpg

disclaimer - not a yank-o-phile so this may be a different year/idel/trim - what of it?

That is the one before mine the "bullet bird" 1960 to '63 I think. Anyway it runs !!! only a very short clip though as I didn't realise I only had a 64mb card in my camera and can't find the big one to try again. A couple of new core plugs have now been fitted as well so hopefully it will soon be in a state to run it properly.

• danthecapriman, eddyramrod, Vince70 and 7 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#166 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,292 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

attachicon.gifT-Bird1.jpg

attachicon.gifT-Bird2.jpg

I can sort of see where some of the styling cues for the Corsair and the Mk.2 Cortina came from.
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#167 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

Right lets have another go with a better SD card. It is running a lot better now and I have changed the oil and the fuel pump this afternoon. If I get time tommorow I will finish replacing the heater hoses so it holds water then plunb in the fuel tank which should now be empty of the horrid stale fuel.

• wuvvum, colc, STUNO and 13 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#168 ONLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 3,806 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:40 PM

Ticks over nicely..............sounds sweet.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#169 OFFLINE   STUNO

STUNO

Out of the rat race

• Full Members
  • 3,720 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationSouth Waikato

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

I stopped at an intersection to let a car go by the other day. The car coming was one of the new "retro" T birds.

Then behind it were 3 (that is Three) gleaming pastel coloured ones like Mr Panhard's. It took me a while to recover  !

• eddyramrod likes this

1994 Mazda Lantis

#170 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

Managed to get the front springs back in this afternoon. That is a job I do not want to do again, the springs have to be compressed by almost half their length which is a bit scary. So all the front suspension is almost done now just the new shocks and anti roll bar links to fit when they arrive and it will all be done. I also got the UK headlights fitted but no pictures as it was getting late. Tommorows job will be fitting the new fuel pump and a few new hoses and hope it will run off the fuel tank.

• colc, danthecapriman, eddyramrod and 5 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#171 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:26 AM

Pictures from yesterday. I better do some paying work today even though I would rather carry on with it and get it driving.

oct 18 071.JPG

oct 18 072.JPG

oct 18 074.JPG

oct 18 075.JPG

• colc, danthecapriman, Rusty_Rocket and 7 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#172 OFFLINE   oldcars

oldcars

• Full Members
  • 6,194 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:53 AM

Love this. Those indicators are class. Cleaning it would scare me, not a massive fan of spiders. 

#173 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Headlights look good, not screamingly Hx bulb fixtures either.

I have to admit I did eyeball those pictures for spiders... they do like to hide up in suspension turrets.

Phil
  • LightBulbFun likes this
131372.png

#174 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

I haven't see one live spider yet and only a couple of dead ones. There are a few egg sacs about though up in the suspension but they look dried out and no little spiders came running out when I squished them.

• Christine likes this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#175 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

The egg balls will be moist when you crush them if they're alive. Dustpan brush is great for clearing them and the webs out- I find the webs make my hands sting.

Phil
131372.png

#176 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 45,074 posts
  • 65 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

• somewhatfoolish and Hooli like this

1967 Renault 16 Grand Luxe.......................Thanks to Weber now running well on regular gas

1993 Peugeot 405 2.0 auto Saloon..........................................A disappointment for many

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 auto Estate..............................Is being regularly crashed into things

#177 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,383 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

Not a lot has happened today. The new fuel pump is on and connected up to the fuel tank, but it is pushing way too much pressure and flooded the carb so I have ordered a pressure regulator to calm it down a bit. Next up I got the hoover out and gave it a bit of a clean up inside. It needs a load more cleaning but that can wait until it is drivable. I have a new headlining on the way and if I can source a windscreen will pull the screens and get the roof painted before fitting the new screens and headlining. This is starting to get expensive so I might have to call a halt for a while until I have some spare cash again.

Before

OCT 18 076.JPG

OCT 18 077.JPG

After

OCT 18 078.JPG

OCT 18 079.JPG

• bigstraight6, danthecapriman, doug and 17 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#178 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

That's a nice looking car. Better for having half the desert removed from the carpet too.

Need some more pictures of the dash, that's far out.

Phil
  • LightBulbFun likes this
131372.png

#179 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 2,059 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

That interior clean up made a big difference

1968 Morris Minor 1000
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper

1988 Peugeot 205 (Chuck's)
2001 Renault Clio (Meg's)
2003 Skoda Octavia

#180 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 13,203 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

Does it have the Swing-Away column?

GLWTS everyone!

Fashion Victim: 2018 Suzuki SX (new wheelchair bus)

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville - FOR SALE

Tripod: 2014 three-wheeled walker.  Temporary I hope!

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users