XJ6 Sport - £550 North Bristol (Page 7)

SiC

Flippin loving this. Maybe we should do a joint "mine is shiter than your's" thread?

Well done, it looks like a cracker.

CFD

Well I think you're winning that, as yours is currently a non runner. ;):D

(Hopefully mine won't play such tricks now I've said that...)

Re ABS fault.

My XJ-8 shows a 'stability control fail' message every 43 start ups.

The next time it starts, it shows an ABS fault, the following time it is fine, and stays fine for the next 41 starts,

I understand this is an ABS ring on one of the back wheels, I have not looked because it doesn't bother me.

It also has three, three point belts in the back seats.

And definitely doesn't clonk when the TCC clutch locks up.

Does anyone have an info sheet thing, like the one above for the five speed box?

Ta

The XJ8 has a very different box. The 3.2 XJ6 is all mechanical. The 4.0 XJ6 and XJR all had varying levels of electronic control to them. I believe all the XJ8s were electronic boxes too. The electronics is a bit more sophisticated in controlling the box, especially when between shift points.

That chart was from the XJ6 workshop manual. As your box is more advanced, the shift points could be very different and vary on many parameters. E.g. speed, revs, engine load, incline, cornering, etc.

Brakes work fine, so I don't think it's the reluctor rings. My experience of split rings (ooo errr) on other cars is that you get ABS kicking in randomly when braking and at speed the ring expands causing more issues. I'll see if my DS150e can connect and read codes at some point to see if I can see what code was triggered (if it remembers it).

Just fixed/replaced the window switch pack.

The trim piece made me lol. Almost certainly made by someone lobbing contact adhesive on and pulling fabric over. How quaint.

cfec3158c14cb43e82313361dbc67ef6.jpg

Removed trim.

f0e247910516ba7a3c9ac9d3d9eddc84.jpg

Left with this.

7fddcd2c531b720bdbdc4abf69b96a1d.jpg

What's that piece of wood doing there?! Someone has been bodging!

Oh wait ... This is the first time I've owned a proper* car where the wood trim is actual wood!

7ed94f497e0d304c856a5ab94bf2e0b1.jpg

e0ca194720972e0075089787871ae6fd.jpg

Removed more trim.

fc6c041d6baf0403894379fdba418b78.jpg

Removed this screw.

b50b4ba9d56ac459fc7db845024e65ec.jpg

Tried pulling but no movement. Went hunting for more screws and found this one.

205344f63fa530be876eb61c9b03b8c6.jpg

Door trim came off easy enough. Undid the connectors and took the door card inside to finish off removing the last bits. Very posh speakers here! Huge amounts of foam soundproofing too.

76cbc7fffcd8096dc0d958e674e80ed1.jpg

Done. Driver window now works fully and there is mirror control again.

6fdd7afd66098fed59da8c007920b48f.jpg

Pulling apart the old module, it looked like that the bits that push down the rubber membrane fell off and caused the issue.

4cff7ee9cd7d6bfad3b8ec1c2b123bf1.jpg

Contacts look clean underneath.

e016471786bb3a53a35857ed3cb6b030.jpg

I'll leave this in the boot incase any owner in future requires spares.

Went for an impromptu drive. Started getting a bit dark, so pulled over in a random place for a quick picture.

dcd4048b250c1070831e601412a4cf61.jpg

Mileage at arrival.

1aa5dfd38ebd0476fc7271131645b20d.jpg

Pretty much 44 miles driven then.

Steve reckons I should sell my MGB. I reckon I should too but then buy one in Scotland and drive it back.

I did get a few nervous thoughts about the Jag playing up. Then I remembered I've done nearly 470 fault free miles and then chilled out...

I couldn't hear any droning at 50-60mph today. So not sure why that's stopped. Maybe it only happens after a long drive with everything heated up?

There is a whine between 55+ that we noticed on the way down and today. Only when the TCC is engaged and on the power though. Just putting that down to a character of the car.

Knocking type noise is still there. Pretty certain its exhaust related like a baffle. The car definitely sounds more throaty than I think/except a wafty Jag to be.

Really enjoyed the drive though. Very boaty and floaty, however you can really throw it around the corners! Quite unnerving/weird how you can throw such mass around.

Just fixed/replaced the window switch pack.

The trim piece made me lol. Almost certainly made by someone lobbing contact adhesive on and pulling fabric over. How quaint. cfec3158c14cb43e82313361dbc67ef6.jpg

Removed trim.f0e247910516ba7a3c9ac9d3d9eddc84.jpg

Left with this.7fddcd2c531b720bdbdc4abf69b96a1d.jpg

What's that piece of wood doing there?! Someone has been bodging!

Oh wait ... This is the first time I've owned a proper* car where the wood trim is actual wood!7ed94f497e0d304c856a5ab94bf2e0b1.jpge0ca194720972e0075089787871ae6fd.jpg

Removed more trim.fc6c041d6baf0403894379fdba418b78.jpg

Removed this screw. b50b4ba9d56ac459fc7db845024e65ec.jpg

Tried pulling but no movement. Went hunting for more screws and found this one. 205344f63fa530be876eb61c9b03b8c6.jpg

Door trim came off easy enough. Undid the connectors and took the door card inside to finish off removing the last bits. Very posh speakers here! Huge amounts of foam soundproofing too. 76cbc7fffcd8096dc0d958e674e80ed1.jpg

Done. Driver window now works fully and there is mirror control again. 6fdd7afd66098fed59da8c007920b48f.jpg

Pulling apart the old module, it looked like that the bits that push down the rubber membrane fell off and caused the issue. 4cff7ee9cd7d6bfad3b8ec1c2b123bf1.jpg

Contacts look clean underneath. e016471786bb3a53a35857ed3cb6b030.jpg

I'll leave this in the boot incase any owner in future requires spares.

Ah ffs, you are waaaay ahead of me. Absolutely fabulous progress man.

CFD

My 4.0 XJ6 could bloody shift.

The 3.2 doesn't! It's not for racing more for wafting. I mean it's no slouch but definitely prefers buzzing along. Doesn't help that the mechanical box kicks down, rev rev rev rev, gear change, slip slip slip and we're in...

No sport gear selection mode here.

I'd say it's probably close performance wise to most German 2l dervs of about 5-10 years ago once off the line. Latest German family wagons have had a power hike and gearing changes for quick 0-60s, so would be a bit quicker. Off the line, again, the fully mechanical box isn't the quickest and doesn't help it's case either.

Yes the 4.0 is quick which is why I tried holding out for ages finding a good 4.0 Sport. Didn’t happen and ended up with 3.2. I’m still waiting for the modified crank bracket for mine which I hope will help. The 3.2 isn’t slow as such just feels weird going from the thumping nature of the 4.0 to the relatively buzzy 3.2 which in my case seems to like kicking down much more often. It would be interesting to try a manual to see how much the old slushbox is holding the car back. The 4.0 seemed to go on forever when you held it in 2nd gear which was fun for overtaking.

My 4.0 XJ6 could bloody shift. Had an indicated 136 out of it somewhere on a large circular private motorway near to London at some point in the past.

I once got an indicated 140 from my XJ40 3.2, which oddly enough was it's book top speed & the redline in top. This obviously wasn't done on a two lane private test that that crosses the A1 between Rotherham & Doncaster.

My sister and husband were down today and we went out with them to go for a bit of Grommit hunting. I had already loaded up the A4 for stuff to take up to the garage (conviently ;) ). So had to take the XJ6 out instead. Ended up doing another 20 miles or so buzzing around.

All thought it was very comfortable. My sister said she definitely would never want to own it. Mrs SiC agreed too!? :?

My wife's friend wasn't keen on it either, she said she preferred her Kia.  At this point her handbag, with the key to said Kia, was locked in the Jag boot and it was refusing to open so this may have affected her judgement somewhat.   I tried to explain this was all part of the proper-English classic car experience but she wasn't having it.

Don't worry, I fixed it eventually.

I'd say it's probably close performance wise to most German 2l dervs of about 5-10 years ago once off the line...

The X308 is very similar, it's nowhere as rapid as my 944, but it's the totally smooth and leisurely way that it does it. From about walking pace to almost ninety without changing gear, it will stay in second if you keep your foot planted to the floor.

Which brings me to my next point.

In real life, are automatics actually faster than manuals?

I leather the 944 once in a while, but not having to keep my foot hard on the floor to stop it changing up, do I ever really see what sort of acceleration it is really capable of?

I think so nowdays. Pretty sure some moderns give better figures in auto than spanish, I doubt it was the case in the old days with the lack of ratios blunting performance. a manual XJ6 would be 5 speed unless you go back to the S3 for example.

The X308 is very similar, it's nowhere as rapid as my 944, but it's the totally smooth and leisurely way that it does it. From about walking pace to almost ninety without changing gear, it will stay in second if you keep your foot planted to the floor.

Which brings me to my next point.

For normal person on the street I believe so. Unless you don't like your clutch friction material! Slush are slow off the line but improved on newer boxes. That's usually offset by a manual struggling to gain traction or not enough revs to not burn it out. DSG is faster at changing, off the line and completely repeatable.

I leather the 944 once in a while, but not having to keep my foot hard on the floor to stop it changing up, do I ever really see what sort of acceleration it is really capable of?

Isn't the 944 only a 3 speed auto?

The modern electronic boxes are way better in this regard too, as you can usually have a manual mode to force them to not change (unless too low/high revs). Also they almost all hold the gear when cornering. Nothing worse than a box changing mid corner.

Isn't the 944 only a 3 speed auto?

Yes, misunderstanding, mine is a full fat, five speed manual.

But even so, first is a relatively high gear and all of the others are really closely spaced and essentially low.

To hit 60 in second I have to redline it at 6,800 and seventy in top is 3,400!

I was on the Motorways this week in the SW. Not many old cars about but...at least two of this shaped Jaag were being blatted down the MWay in the 8 hours I waz driving. No idea of which engine. But these are obviously still usable in a sea of otherwise anonymous blob-cars. These Jaagz were both in the outside lane and moving fast.

Probably the biggest/only bugbear on this car is the sheer size of it. It just doesn't fit whole into car park spaces!

Despite parking into the bush, it's still hanging out the back.

ed25ad53d05691161a933b640d5ea54f.jpg

81955ffc6a1eac04a3c1f235c972827b.jpg

Since coming home, I've done 132 miles. Just another 3000 miles till satisfying miles.

9155b38ddab9db515ccf53bb7e4c2db0.jpg

This is probably going to be a boring thread as car is doing what cars should do my MGB should be doing. I also took Junkmans advice and instead of using the motor-super-highways, kept to b-roads and a-roads. It was a much more pleasurable experience. The car, like Saabs, also for some reason slows me down and be far less stressed about driving. I've probably been driving modern Audi's too long already...

Andy is still selling them but they only make a batch from time to time. I decided not to buy a copy off eBay out of respect for the chap who developed it. I’ve been waiting a while but was recently informed the new batch would be available next month. Try emailing helenstodart@gmail.com

Cheers have emailed her, fingers crossed :) .

They don't look big parked in the street (IMO anyway) because they're lower than most bloated modernz. But you soon realize how long and wide they are when driving around or trying to park!

Anyway already had a reply from Helen Stodart, am on the list for a bracket from next month's batch, anyone else who needs one should get in there! :)

Drove this into work today as quite a few of my colleagues are fascinated by the fact I bought a Jag for 12 quid and drove it down from Scotland. I was a bit worried as every "new" car I bring into work seem to have an issue crop up when I'm driving it in. However no worries in this as it's a 22 year old English car.

Well almost, but self inflicted. Parking bays are quite short and tight so I usually reverse in.

Reverse ... Reverse ... Stop ... Looks loads of room, I'll go back a bit more and check ... Revers... *BANG*. Oops.

No damage (apart from already there) thanks to the 15cm long overhang on the bumpers. Bumpers that are actual bumpers that can handle low speed impact unlike the ones on modern cars which are purely there for show.

Tried one of the spare keys and it doesn't even want to turn in the ignition. The cut looks alright but I guess it's not quite right. You can see the Ford influence thanks to it being a rubbish Tibbe key.

To be honest I think even if it did turn, it wouldn't work as it had no immobiliser chip in it.

ee1851df93def94df3a2d1dc8f4c36d4.jpg

I'm going to have to get another made as not having a working spare key on a car really erks me. I've never lost a key, but I can't guarantee that will be true forever.