AJS Model 20 project

Tamworthbay

I wasn’t going to put this on here as thought it would be too much but there has been a bit of interest when I mentioned it in another thread so what the hell. It was my Dad’s last project but he sadly didn’t have time enough left to complete it before dy8ng at a stupidly young age and I have come to the realisation that after 20 years it’s just not going to happen with me. More info and pics here: http://autoshite.com/topic/31609-the-about-bloody-time-capri-resto-thread/

It’s going on the bay (please lord no) later and from what I can find projects seem to to make £2500 ish and this had had a fair bit of work done already and has a load of spares. Someone was interested and I offered it them for £1800 firm. In the unlikely event anyone is even vaguely interested give me a shout and come and have a look, or have a bid on eBay, I think I will start it at a grand and see where it goes. There is a lot of it so would need decent sized estate or van to pick it up, or multiple trips. Could help if local enough.

It does look interesting and I really would love a vintage/ classic bike but unless it came with instructions as comprehensive as the 100 part build your own mustang magazine with pictures of where to put the spanners I wouldn't have a clue how to put it back together , however so at least you can say you've had an offer I'd go £1000 and a whole box of Kit Kats

That's a whole box mind just in case you were on the edge thinking it was one of those multipacks

It does look interesting and I really would love a vintage/ classic bike but unless it came with instructions as comprehensive as the 100 part build your own mustang magazine with pictures of where to put the spanners I wouldn't have a clue how to put it back together , however so at least you can say you've had an offer I'd go £1000 and a whole box of Kit Kats

That's a whole box mind just in case you were on the edge thinking it was one of those multipacks

It does come with a very extensive manual that would be easy to follow and they are simple things in reality. And I do like a kit kat............. traditional or chunky?

Appreciated the offer,alas I think it's beyond my skills,always a problem when something has already been stripped

it doesn’t help, it’s not been together in all the time I have known it. It came in boxes in the back of my old Volvo 240 from a guy Loughborough way. He had stripped it, bought a few new bits, thrown a few away (idiot) then got hassle from his missus so decided to sell. My Dad had them way back when they were new so it didn’t daunt him and they really are simple compared to modern stuff. He started on the engine and forks (no idea why that order but who knows) got a load of stuff new and some stuff painted but the sadly took a turn for the worse and gone in no time at all. I just have never had the inclination to do it, not sure whether I think I won’t do it as well as he would or something else but there you go. I will stick,it on tonight and put a link up if anyone fancies a bid.

It does come with a very extensive manual that would be easy to follow and they are simple things in reality. And I do like a kit kat............. traditional or chunky?

It's autoshite , I wouldn't insult you by offering modern chunky

Joking aside I really would love it, especially as it'd get me away from the TV and computer but unfortunately money is the issue

They are straight forward to reassemble and must be easy as I managed to take mine apart and put it back together - though it did have a flying "M" on the tank.  You probably have offers if you put it on this site, just explain to their  web-meister it was your dad's who passed away and you know nothing about bikes but would like it to go to someone who knows about does knows what AJS mod 20 is. And as much as I like them I won't insult you by offering a used Rover for it.

http://www.jampot.com/contact.asp

They are straight forward to reassemble and must be easy as I managed to take mine apart and put it back together - though it did have a flying "M" on the tank.  You probably have offers if you put it on this site, just explain to their  web-meister it was your dad's who passed away and you know nothing about bikes but would like it to go to someone who knows about does knows what AJS mod 20 is. And as much as I like them I won't insult you by offering a used Rover for it.

http://www.jampot.com/contact.asp

Ooh, used rover you say? Not a P6 or 3500? I know it won’t be but I get the chance to be excited for a few minutes whilst knowing it won’t happen.

What's the corgi ?

They were a development of the welbike which was designed for the paras in ww2. I believe the idea was that the SS would be laughing so hard when they saw the paras coming on them that they wouldn’t shoot straight. I think most were probably either leftbat base of dumped pdq. They were developed and sold after the war as a cheap transport with a 98cc excelsior sprite engine. They are great fun little things but not for the a cross Europe trip on the Autobahns. A great piece of British history in a very compact and storable/ transportable package.

"No PayPal on this as I have scammed in the past with PayPal on a collection item"

I think you might have missed "been" out of that sentence ;-)

GLWTS though, I'd love to take it on myself but I've no more room.

Ffs sake, I must have read it a dozen times but your brain sees what it wants to. Thanks for pointing it out. TBH room is as much an issue with me I have decided to stick with the two cars and one bike and bike wise an 80s crosser is always going to be more appealing to me when the little time I have gets divided up.

Probably worth much more than the AJS.

My dad wanted to buy me one 60 years ago and he couldn't even afford one then.

I think the AJS should make ok money, no idea what the Corgi is worth, I need to do some research but guessing around the £800-£1000 in present condition. Should put some money in the coffers for the Capri. My dad bought it and painted it pink for my sister to blast around on, the. Repainted it black for me later and redid it quite nice. Needs some bits sorting as he took some bits off and messed other bits around so I have spent time sourcing the original bits but have done little with them.

I know! Feedback is good too, hoping it will make more obviously but always nice to have the first bid on the board! Would love it to go to someone on here so I can keep track of it but realise that’s unlikely.

Probably worth much more than the AJS.

My dad wanted to buy me one 60 years ago and he couldn't even afford one then.

Not really,project corgis can still be had for £400,60 years ago it would have only been 10 years old,and money was tighter then.most ended up being used as children's playthings before going to the dump.my great aunt was a midwife and used one to visit patients in rural Somerset in the early 50s.I've owned 9 of them,but only one ever ran,they weren't very well made! Originality and completeness is key,as parts are rare and generally unique.in an ideal world i might be able to thrash a deal out and pass my love of the Corgi on to my stepdaughter :-)

Not really,project corgis can still be had for £400,60 years ago it would have only been 10 years old,and money was tighter then.most ended up being used as children's playthings before going to the dump.my great aunt was a midwife and used one to visit patients in rural Somerset in the early 50s.I've owned 9 of them,but only one ever ran,they weren't very well made! Originality and completeness is key,as parts are rare and generally unique.in an ideal world i might be able to thrash a deal out and pass my love of the Corgi on to my stepdaughter :-)

Any Corgi at £400 would need a grand throwing at it minimum though if not a lot more. The project projects (if that makes sense) still aren’t worth doing financially and parts like the front lights are obscene, I paid a lot twenty years ago for one when I first got it but not whatbthey vetch now. I spent a little time looking at prices this week and headlights on their own seem to be going for over £100 on the rare occasion they appear. Early wire wheels are also stupid money as the re-enactment people want them for welbike replicas, a crusty one made £120 a while back! This one will probably end up being £600 plus and all the best bits are missing and not registered - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brockhouse-Corgi/123300280037?hash=item1cb544f6e5%3Ag%3A824AAOSwRvFba91-&_sacat=0&_nkw=corgi+brockhouse&_from=R40&rt=nc not mine obviously

They were designed/built to be dropped from an aircraft used once by the paratrooper - one tank of fuel - then dumped as in a disposable item. The wheels, engine etc were to work for a couple of hours only. Given this WD spec it is surprising any exist so their rarity is their value not their longevity. 

They were designed/built to be dropped from an aircraft used once by the paratrooper - one tank of fuel - then dumped as in a disposable item. The wheels, engine etc were to work for a couple of hours only. Given this WD spec it is surprising any exist so their rarity is their value not their longevity.

That’s the welbike, the Corgi is the ‘adapted for civvies’ version sold post war. They are not common but not welbike rare by any stretch. The bike has a good resemblance but other that that there isn’t much between the two. They can be butchered into a replica but not one that fools any experts. I have a book on the welbike somewhere, just dig it out.