Buying a Crapi - 2020 Update!, Still slowly bleeding me dry

coalnotdole

JBW make a 15" version of the 4 spokes, this lovely laser with them on is a chaps over on the laser page.

attachicon.gif42221788924_71e88350d2_b.jpg

15" is the biggest wheel I would go on a capri

Didn't the Mk2 with the x-pack body kit come with 15" 4-spokes? Look at the silver capri Doyle drives in some episodes of The Professionals series 1 (post TR-7)

185/60s on 13" RS rims were good enough and a popular modification in the late 80s.

Standard fitment was 185/70s, even on the 3-litres up to 6" wide rims. Mk1 RS3100 too.

Enough grip and enough slide to be able to feel what was going on.

Check out the sizes of wheels and tyres on E-types and Interceptors and US muscle cars as standard.

Regarding wheels / Rimz Danthecapriman is entirely correct in pointing out  the 4 spokes on daves car are  are 13" I was also suprised when I found this out as I'd been expecting at least some 14's"

Wish I'd known you were coming to stoke

Stoke wasn't actually planned it just sort of happened really!

Cheers Joe

I nearly put an X pack on my latest one, with hindsight it would have been cheaper and a damn sight easier than sorting it back to stock.

I considered an X pack for my laser for when I'd put the front end crash damage right as I was replacing the front wings as well, but after poking around it was too solid to cut about to fit one, if it was a rotter at the back end in the inner arches etc it would've been another story

That's what the people who live here say as well,

did you pop to apedale? I used to live a stone's throw away from there

Didn’t call in at Apedale on this trip but I have been in the past and had a very good underground tour there. None of the plastic fakery, barriers and and interactive displays you get elsewhere.

The Capri Trip continued:

The Capri made the run through the peak district with no major issues. a stop for breakfast was made at the TOR cafe just outside Cromford. Fulfilled the an important CND requirement offering two good breakfasts for less than £10!

5082793_c1242a80_1024x1024.jpg

17.jpg

I recon the white bonnet is the biggest thing letting down the car at the moment, Dave reckoned he had found someone on the IOW who has a black one thats been in dry storage for years so that might be bought and swapped on at some point.

Arriving in Longton and we reached our destination:

19.jpg

Hudson & Middleton pottery which we'd heard had closed in 2017 and was then subsequently sold off with lots of talk of subletting it and some talk of demolition, the works contains the last bottle kiln to be fired in the potteries. which was last used in 1978. Theres a slideshow about that on youtube.

When we rocked up a look through the windows showed it tantalisingly full of 'stuff' machinery and part completed ware all still as they were left on closure. We were lucky enough to be invited in for a look round by the son/godson of the new owner. The new owners are hoping to find new uses for the space and are hopeful that it will mainly be occupied by smaller ceramics producers / art potters. As a mix of workshops and residences. At the moment though its in a state of flux not quite derelict but not yet reused.

I took loads of pictures in here but will only post a few as this is autoshite not pottshite.

Moulding line:

20.jpg

Mechanical jigger jolly made locally. probably in the 60's. To the left is the base of the last bottle kiln to be fired in the UK.

21.jpg

Heres a couple of pics from inside:

22.jpg

23.jpg

Flue:

24.jpg

Courtyard with another kiln.

25.jpg

Its a shame that Hudson and Middleton could not be saved as a going concern but I'm alt least hopeful that the new owners want to keep the history of ceramics production alive on site.

We then went into Hanley to take some more photos of the capri with some run down modernist architecture. Welcome to 1991.

26.jpg

28.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

Time to head home...

There was alot of potbanks left just like that local with everything intact when they closed, when I used to do a spot of urban exploring I went in quite a few of them before they got demolished.

I wouldn't be suprised if you've been to some of the same places as me! I've just had a quick look at my archives and was surised how many I'd actually been to!

Twyfords Cliff Vale, Hanley 2005

Royal Doulton, Burslem 2006

Nameless Pottery Hanley 2007, 

Simpsons Pottery, Burslem 2007

Regency China, Longton 2007

Enson works bottle kilns, Longton 2008

Nelson Pottery, Hanley 2009

Spode Pottery, Stoke 2009

Shires Bathroom Factory, Longton 2009

Tams Crown works, Longton 2009

Tams Blyth works, Longton 2009

JH Weatherby pottery, Hanley, 2012

Falcon pottery and kilns, Stoke 2012

Wade Pottery, Burslem 2012

There's been a 5 year gap since my last visit so I've no doubt missed a few bits since then.

The trip home from stoke was long but totally un eventful. apart from some streches of stop start traffic on the M40 and M25. I'd like the temperature gauge remained quite steady even in the traffic, mainly because it too wasnt really working. Possibly combined with the dodgy petrol gauge there could be a faulty voltage stabiliser to blame.

The trip home revealed that an indicated 100mph is more than possible but when verified with the sat nave we found the speedo overread quite a bit! 

I did shoot some video footage Its not that exciting but can be seen here:

All told the Capri perfomed suprisingly well, no recovery trucks required, nothing fell off or terminally broke. Hopefully Dave will stick up a post sharing his post trip thoughts.

Cheers for reading.

Joe

Brilliant stuff, not exactly hanging about either were you.

Please clean the remains of your dash top though!

The speaker perforations on top always rot and fall apart like yours has. Good original dashboards do come up now and again but you can get brand new grey fibreglass replacements from the Capri club.

Looks better on the original 4-spoke alloys. There's a whole world of geekery in the RS 4-spokes.

But, for now, if they're round and keep air in the tyres then all is well.

Yes I much prefer the look of the 4 spokes, The nankangs which I've swapped over from the 7" pepperpots are actually only a 60 profile rather than 70 as they should be. I think the larger profile would fill the arches and look better, also need to find some centre caps which don't cost the earth...

Brilliant stuff, not exactly hanging about either were you.

Please clean the remains of your dash top though!

The speaker perforations on top always rot and fall apart like yours has. Good original dashboards do come up now and again but you can get brand new grey fibreglass replacements from the Capri club.

It pushes along quite happily - It will do its original design speed if you have a suitable bit of autobahn.

The car came with a spare dashboard top in excellent condition so I may swap it over at the same time as trying to sort the inoperative heater motor and lazy ammeter.

The rear springs (multi leaf) are very tired and with a full tank she's pretty much on the bump-stops, I see you can get new multi leaf springs for about £220 a pair but i'm a bit concerned at how quickly the expenses are adding up on this car.

Realistically I should sell it on as a project sooner rather than later so I can concentrate on my existing car and boat projects. I love the look of the mk3 lasers and its quite a nice car to drive apart from the huge turning circle. But I live on a small island and already own three vehicles so something has to go!

Dave

Well I've spent some more money that I don't really have on something thats purely cosmetic...

Bumped into a rural garage owner locally who mentioned he had a black bonnet as a wall ornament for the last 15 years, Figured it was probably easier than getting the white bonnet resprayed and would be a satisfying instant improvement!

37.jpg

Genuine Barnfind dust:

38.jpg

39.jpg

I actually have the eBay receipt for the white bonnet which the previous owner bought and fitted - £319.99 including delivery! Hopefully I can flog it on to someone as its rust free and just needs flatting back and painting.

Dave