Snake Oil aka injector cleaner

castros_bro

Octane booster for what? Not petrol that's for sure - You would probably get a bigger octane boost dumping a couple of litres of cellulose thinners in the petrol tank

Sorry should have elaborated with 'typically mixed with Toluene'

Again, look at the bulk of many of those top oil-change-time 'engine cleaners' and find what the main ingredient is.  Kerosene is common

I was gifted a tin of 'Tunap' injector cleaner by the lads at my local VW parts desk when the Lupo SDI started to hesitate and run rough due to Mrs Eunos poodling round at sub 2krpm on a perpetual basis. They reconned it was the proper stuff and the chaps in the workshop swore by it etc.

In short is did sweet FA.

In the end a 30 minute motorway drive to Barnard Castle in third gear (Eeek) was the answer and solved the issues, the car has run well ever since. Italian tune ups FTW IME.

Quote my youngest: The car doesn't go this fast when mummy drives it.

:-D

Some of the fuel additives for dervs contain cetane boosters so it gives you a false sense of improvement. Ime just drive a derv with a heavy right foot, not necessarily revving the nuts off it just don't granny it about everywhere. I've never had a diesel fail on emissions yet and I've had many.

As for adding acetone, I'd be careful with how much you use. I had access to loads of it years ago and had thoughts of using it as a fuel improver. I dropped some fuel line into some as a bit of a test. The fuel line simply fell to bits after 24 hours. What it would do to other vital bits in a fuel system, fuck knows but I didn't want to find out!

Back around 89/90 I had a couple of petrol injected cars (including Astra GTE 8V) that had problems with hot starting. Using Redex injector cleaner - a cap full with every tank of fuel - sorted the problem. These days I always use super unleaded and never have problems.

If you have an engine which is clagged up then these snake oils may well help clean the internals to a greater or lesser degree, but they won't fix actual mechanical issues like injectors with fucked springs or whatever sourcery lives in them!

You can't really beat taking things apart and cleaning them manually, but if you don't want to go down that road, then by all means try the potions - personally having seen the innards in a pug 207 1.6 hdi and the clag therein from 2 years of granny driving equivalent, no amount of redex and italian tuning was going to resurrect that :(

orl modern diseasels are shit ;)

I drove all my pug diesels like I'd stolen them. Two were FAP HDi

How many issues did they have?

Zero.

Probably did 20mpg less than they should but hey if I was skint I'd walk.

I'm not a heroin addict and we don't have 13 kids so my cars get have a decent running budget.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

As for adding acetone, I'd be careful with how much you use. I had access to loads of it years ago and had thoughts of using it as a fuel improver. I dropped some fuel line into some as a bit of a test. The fuel line simply fell to bits after 24 hours. What it would do to other vital bits in a fuel system, fuck knows but I didn't want to find out!

0.35% has no bad effects on anything containing or within a fuel system in my experience. 35% probably would.

The bloody best injector (and carby, while I'm at it) cleaner, is half a litre of Diesel in a tank of petrol.

If you have given up in life and actually drive a Diesel, on Diesel, or any other such piss take that's trying to qualify itself off for being

a propellant for motor vehicles that in fact aren't, ALWAYS add a cap full of two stroke oil to a tank, without failing, to each and every tank fill.

And dump that expensive snake oil into the sea. The fucking cod will love it.

Because if you read the fucking ingredients of that shit, you will find out it's exactly what I mentioned above, but for snake oil prices.

The bloody best injector (and carby, while I'm at it) cleaner, is half a litre of Diesel in a tank of petrol.

If you have given up in life and actually drive a Diesel, on Diesel, or any other such piss take that's trying to qualify itself off for being

a propellant for motor vehicles that in fact aren't, ALWAYS add a cap full of two stroke oil to a tank, without failing, to each and every tank fill.

And dump that expensive snake oil into the sea. The fucking cod will love it.

Because if you read the fucking ingredients of that shit, you will find out it's exactly what I mentioned above, but for snake oil prices.

I ALWAYS add two stroke oil to a tank, without failing, to each and every tank fill

post-7239-0-68683100-1534145815_thumb.jpg