Peugeot reliability........

Neil clark

Thought I'd share my experiences. I've owned my 2006 peugeot expert since 83k and it's now just hit 370k.

I honestly don't think it could of been better! Aircon still works. Still drives lovely. Will still do fast speeds and still gets good mpg.

In the time I've had it it's still on it's original starter, only it's second alternator and exhaust. Original gearbox, original clutch lasted 180k and still was fine but duel mass got bad. Only had 1 wheel bearing (front) and one spring (rear)

Its obviously had loads of brake pads and suspension bits over the miles but never been too bad really. Drives without any noises or smoke!

I'll be looking to upgrade at some point but I'll honestly miss him!

Anyway just thought I'd How reliable it's been and I bet it breaks down now lol

The reality is that modern cars are made up from the same parts made by Bosch, Delphi, ATE, Valeo, et al. Custom parts are designed by tiered suppliers then made by a bigger outfit.

So essentially for the most part they're all pretty similar in design for the mechanical and oily bits. More so, a lot of the engine sensors and injection components are the same as each other.

Car manufacturers are just final assemblers putting these parts together. As long as they don't do anything stupid (i.e. put electronics where it'll get wet), they're much the same.

Basically they're all as good/bad as each other nowadays.

Is it a dw8 or hdi?

Must be a HDi as it has a dmf.These are nice vans to drive.Obviously not sporty but very comfortable and the 110 HDi gives very strong performance with plenty of midrange torque.Accessibility for some jobs is bad,but a lot of these jobs rarely need doing.For example the first item in the factory workshop manual section for the HDi telling you how to change the brake servo is remove the engine.But the servos don't go wrong,so that's ok.

A fine example is the 207CC and GTi. This has a 1.6 engine, originally all PSA but improved by BMW in a joint effort to power Minis and Citreons. With involvement from the Motoren Werke, a previously decent Peugeot lump has become an unreliable piece of shit with the turbo version being particularly grim. BMW source their timing chains from Armitage Shanks, a fine firm that use the same chain for something a bit less stressful.

It's electrical gremlins that get Pugs btw. Engines, gearboxes and bodies are fine. 

Is rust still an issue for newer cars ? My 2007 is getting grotty now and will need welding in a couple or years if not sooner . My 45 is 17 and needs work on the sills and possibly floorpan. Both have done around 125,000k. The Mazda is still going well but the 45 is suffering through lack of use.

This is why I have berlingos, body is great, no rust, not strong but no rust.. Mechanicals can be sensitive to change depending on the quality of replacement parts, even genuine aren't perfect but keep driving them and they seem fine if you can cope with the 'character'..

There is mostly a problem with 'pattern' parts and the general cost of genuine parts the quality is a gamble.. Electrical errors are becoming a pita and there are so few 'mechanics' these days that actually know what they are doing that the cost of repairs is getting beyond reasonable, this is why I love this forum, keep the proper vehicles going and leave the modern tosh to the snowflake / butterfly generation I say...

I did have a 2.0HDI from new and it lasted 79k miles and became BER due to the head cracking and wrecking the block.. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it but the Citroen dealer couldn't get it through it's first MOT due to emissions when they found the 'problem'.. 12 month warranty kissed good by to it.. Arguing to Citroen was like shouting at the Onion sellers bike so the Company I was working for went to Merc and found out what the real cost of Friday afternoon crap was.. That's another story..

There are a lot of French and German on the road so there must be something in it.. My Wife has a 2011 Hyundia and it is a pile of rust already..

Do they get anything right now at BMW? One of the great things about them years ago was they’d see 150k out no problem. Now they sound a bit Renault.

I won't stand by and see the name of a manufacturer of quality motor vehicles dragged through the dirt. Leave Renault alone.

I have to say I quite like my 2003 307SW Coke fueld. Changed the normal things served as required.

But a problem this year had me and my gargle and the stealer fluxed. The turbo would not kick in. Eventually found the electronic control for the turbo valve not doing is job. All was find until we got those very high day time temps ((high 30s in Spain) then it all went wrong again. Now temps are better but it still does not like to crawl along at low speed. There is a slight lurching but the rev counter stays and the same level.

Build quality is better than  friends Migraine, the one with that bum. The electronics are falling apart.

You can change an hdi servo without taking the engine out but it’s a twat . Oh and they do fail too

Yes,I did it once on a sale van that was bought cheaply with the servo "gone",but including a new servo.I got the servo out by removing all the engine mounts and dropping the engine down as far as it would go.It was still extremely tight but I did it,put it all together and then found that the problem wasn't the servo.

That Expert is the old model though and probably the last properly bomb proof Peugeot / Citroen made.

I had an 806 which is basically the same vehicle and ran it to some high mileage that I can't remember and sold it on here still going.

Last tough small Peugeot: 206

Last tough mid size Peugeot: 306

Last tough upper mid size Peugeot: 406

Last toughest of the toughest: 806 / Expert.

Last bomb proof engine: 8 valve 2.0 HDI.