Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Picked up the baton or Dropped a bad 'un

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 648 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEast Angliaaargh

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

Some philosophical Ham wrote (ambiguous conspiracists profess it isn't punctuated correctly) "I thought I was cured"

My wife's news that we had won a replacement sofa for £21 left me with little option than to start searching for a van to go and collect it with and with more than a couple of days worth of logistical solutions requiring dissolution, I felt that hiring a van could be costly.

image.jpg

Advertised as spares/repair due to a crunching on 4th & 5th gear changes, that aside it's tolerable. No rot to speak of, drives well, mot until sometime in October. The seller took my £250 and I had my first French voiture.

image.jpg

Double de-clutching stops the crunching gear changes but it doesn't restore feel through the gear stick. There's a little bit of judder when pulling away, possible engine mount(?) probably poor piloting. Both these ailings aside, it romped the 170 mile round trip to collect our sofa, using less than £20 worth of diesel.
I know nothing of these Relays whatsoever, it's a 2005 2.0 hdi Enterprise (got that off the V5) and I hope it doesn't explode.
  • wuvvum, chaseracer, garethj and 17 others like this

#2 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 10,267 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationDoing the school run

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:29 PM

Excellent, I used a similar excuse ("we need a van*") to buy a shitroen Picarsole :)

#budgetvannerZ
  • Semi-C likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#3 OFFLINE   Ohdearme

Ohdearme

• Full Members
  • 487 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:36 PM

Sudden urge  to 'hack' the wife's ebay account so she wins something I then have to buy a van to collect :)

• meshking likes this

Audi A1 Sport Diseasel - Wife shite
Ford Galuxury 2.0 Aspen

Ford Mondeo Ghia X - Giffer Spec

SAAB 9-5 Aero Estate - MOT disasterz
Mazda 3 1.4 - Borrowed Dad shite -
Saab 9-5 2.3lpt - Roffled Off - Pending Collect

#4 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 718 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • Location100mph between London and Cambridge!

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

The gearstick mount rips off the dash cross member and then is usually cobbled back on with softwood and drywall screws, you'll see it by removing the stick gaitor. Check that first as it messes up the gear control cables... speaking of which are junk anyway, and check for linkage wear on the ball joint connections at the box. Gearboxes are also junk. Hope that helps to start.

I'd have another one.

Who was the supplying dealer on that when it was new?

• Skizzer, Semi-C, Nibblet and 1 other like this

1986 BMW 635CSi - TOTALLY ROT AND FAULT FREE. SEE THREAD FOR LISTS OF ROT AND FAULTS. http://autoshite.com...ry-in-progress/

1998 BMW E36 318i Touring, wurth about ten grand in 7 years time classic investment mate- 4 sayle. http://autoshite.com...-retro-artizan/
2001 Land Rover Discovery V8 - POTENTIAL FUTURE BARN FIND THESE r GETTING REAR NOW

event.png

#5 ONLINE   Wingz123

Wingz123

• Full Members
  • 929 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:39 AM

My experience of these has been rot on the inner sills....but as you say, yours isn’t rusty so you should be ok for a while yet....

2002 Audi A6 Avant 1.9TDi PD130

1998 Mitsubishi Space Wagon

2005 Mercedes Sprinter 311CDi Recovery Truck

2007 Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCi

2009 Toyota Avensis T27 Tourer 2.2 D4D

2013 Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid

2010 Ford Focus Estate 1.6TDCi Ecomotive

2000 BMW 328ci E46

1998 BMW 523i se E39

#6 ONLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 13,209 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:47 AM

That's proper Shiting there, well done.  I used to drive a Relay at work.  Should be a capable enough tool, and it'll swallow most things you want to put in it.

• Semi-C likes this

GLWTS everyone!

Fashion Victim: 2018 Suzuki SX (new wheelchair bus)

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville - FOR SALE

Tripod: 2014 three-wheeled walker.  Temporary I hope!

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#7 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,782 posts
  • 88 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

Probably better than the equivalent transit.

#8 OFFLINE   chaseracer

chaseracer

Autoshite HR & Refereeing Solutions Ltd.

• Staff
  • 12,224 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

Welcome back, Semi-C.  Best excuse for buying chod so far this month...  :D

• Semi-C likes this

2018 DS 3 - Domestic Management's staff car

2009 Cannondale Quick CX - too much like hard work
2003 Citroen Berlingo 2.0HDi - buggering on regardless
1995 Peugeot 205 Inca 1.7D - working
1982 Citroen Dyane 6 - hiding...

AS Midland Massiv - in chod we rust...

#9 ONLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 6,987 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

Man maths at its best - new vehicle to collect £21 sofa.
  • Semi-C and LightBulbFun like this

#10 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 648 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

Thank y'all and thanks for the gearstick info BoggyMires, I'll get lifting that gaiter later. The supplying dealer was Crayford Motors Limited, Crayford, Kent, they were also the first owners of it. The only stamp in the service book is for the 1000 mile inspection, at 169k I'm sure it's due another.
For now it'll have to make do with some fresh wipers and a petrol cap that actually works.

Is there anybody here who is fluent in these vans/engines and could point me in the direction of any weaknesses I should watch for and any top tips to maximise the service life I can eek from its willing frame?

Merci.

#11 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 718 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

Well... That's who I worked for at that very time. I regonised the plate- vaguely. It was probably our parts van although we had a couple of courtesy vans. I worked on the relays a lot. You would probably find that I've carried out some work on that there very engine and that is why it is still running.

• chaseracer, Skizzer, eddyramrod and 3 others like this

1986 BMW 635CSi - TOTALLY ROT AND FAULT FREE. SEE THREAD FOR LISTS OF ROT AND FAULTS. http://autoshite.com...ry-in-progress/

1998 BMW E36 318i Touring, wurth about ten grand in 7 years time classic investment mate- 4 sayle. http://autoshite.com...-retro-artizan/
2001 Land Rover Discovery V8 - POTENTIAL FUTURE BARN FIND THESE r GETTING REAR NOW

event.png

#12 OFFLINE   junkyarddog

junkyarddog

• Full Members
  • 1,471 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

Those 2.0 HDI lumps are pretty much bombproof if regular oil changes are carried out.
  • chaseracer likes this

#13 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 718 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

What the man said, they're a good lump when cared for with quality parts and fluids.

1st job is to look at the timing belt. As with any belted engine, when was it done last? There was a recall for breaking diesel pumps not long after they were new but on your mileage that problem is long gone. Front wheel bearings can be an absolute pain in the arse to change, welding themselves to the hub, usually resulting in a new hub. Gearing components aren't the strongest. Rear shoes can suffer under extreme heavy use. Diesel filters often get left out on servicing although these always start well enough after a change if it's done by the book. They always seemed to have a squeaky exhaust on idle from new. Spare wheel cage may be damaged from previous light fingered attempts or seized or both.

Main issue with vans is the abuse they get all over. These are pretty basic so easy to live with. I have no idea on how they rot... Quite well I'd imagine just like anything else. It would be worth unscrewing and removing the plastic steps in the door recesses to see what lurks underneath if your planning on keeping it. Oh, and heater matrix failure used to be quite common, leaking out under the glovebox area. Smell curry inside the cab? Dash out.

Get one of those mini battery screwdrivers. You can have the entire dash out in 45 minutes.

event.png

#14 ONLINE   Wingz123

Wingz123

• Full Members
  • 929 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Some of the 2.0 hdi engines have water cooled egr valves that can often leak thus fooling you into thinking the car (or in this case the van) is using water and gets the brain thinking is the head gasket on its way out....have a check of yours....

In my opinion however, the body’ll go before that engine gives up...

2002 Audi A6 Avant 1.9TDi PD130

1998 Mitsubishi Space Wagon

2005 Mercedes Sprinter 311CDi Recovery Truck

2007 Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCi

2009 Toyota Avensis T27 Tourer 2.2 D4D

2013 Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid

2010 Ford Focus Estate 1.6TDCi Ecomotive

2000 BMW 328ci E46

1998 BMW 523i se E39

#15 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 12,647 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

As others have said, good old vans these apart from shite gearboxes and a tendency to stealth rust. 2.0 HDI is perfectly adequate in a SWB van, not fast but nowhere near as underpowered as the old 1.9D. Looks a megabarg for 250 notes.
  • Semi-C likes this

#16 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,782 posts
  • 88 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:14 PM

Not quite as shit gearboxes as Vauxhall Vivaro. I read in disbelief in a back issue in Car Mechanics about how robust the 6 speed box was in the Vectra. Compared to what? The Titanics maiden voyage?

#17 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 648 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for that BoggyMires, a priceless nugget of history (there's a distinct lack of that with this van!), hopefully your deft touch has provided me with a salvageable foundation.
I filled a basket on Eurong Car Parts with a full house of filters, a brace of belts, a thermostat and a water pump. Next port of call is locating a decent (preferably factory) workshop manual for it.

I'm assuming from the consensus that whilst these gearboxes are dog-egg, their shitness doesn't impede their function?

The heater position control does not work apparently, the vendor told me it is stuck on screen demist but a damp outing soon disproved that. Before embarking on a blind stab in the right direction, would anybody (I'm looking at you Mr Mires...) have the answer to the question, how is that fixed?

Cheers.

#18 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 718 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:15 PM

Not a weird one but I can't remember the set up on them. I think they have an array of cables secured to various parts of the heater/ vent unit not unlike other vehicles. These cables are secured in various places with clips with barbs. If any of these are missing or the cable has been routed incorrectly then the cable for that particular control won't operate correctly and will likely 'spring' back to whatever position it's stuck in. 

Also the mechanical bits on the facia unit are only plastic so may have failed.

I'd release the facia panel and operate it to see what's not moving.

My memory is vague and since my Citroen days I've probably removed about 50 different makes of heater boxes. Whatever it is, it's one of those jobs where skin loss and anger is guaranteed.

• Semi-C likes this

event.png

#19 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 648 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reassurance of the job's unpleasantness. I'll snatch a few shifts on it apres work this coming week and cross my fingers (before they've been grated into corned beef)
  • BoggyMires likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users