Bangernomics Schedule

wrenchvolt

I love a good spreadsheet.

The last time i did any serious car related calculations was to prove to my father in law that if he got a taxi everywhere he'd be quids in.

I took his very comprehensive history file which included every bill over 15 years of ownership including a note book with every petrol fill up detailed.

In that time he had only done 19000 miles and the total costs including depreciation, servicing, tax Mot insurance petrol and sundries came to £1.25 a mile.

At the time taxis were charging about £1.50 a mile and he had a free bus pass with a stop about 100 yards away so it was agreed he'd get the bus to the shops and a taxi back.

Great plan?

Now he just won't go out hardly at all.

Still the roads are alot safer.

I have found out that 'bangers' are usually more reliable than newer more expensive cars..

I have purchased 2 cars on finance , and both went tits up in less than 12 months..1 grenaded its engine the other developed electrical gremlins that would make a 70's Italian car blush..

It occurs to me that the "Bathtub" curve applies.

All bangernomics cars will be well past the early manufacturing defects stage.

Decently serviced and owned by someone sympathetic, most ancillaries should be able to survive longer than the minimum design requirements so if you are not in to the wear out phase, it is a mathematical fact that it will be less likely to fail than one which is almost new and still in the infant mortality stage.

Decently serviced and owned by someone sympathetic, most ancillaries should be able to survive longer than the minimum design requirements so if you are not in to the wear out phase, it is a mathematical fact that it will be less likely to fail than one which is almost new and still in the infant mortality stage.

Good luck running a K Series Rover 400 in 2018.

This is fantastic! 

My experience, contrary to the serviced and owned by a sympathetic owner thing, is that the less often the car's bonnet is opened, the less stuff goes wrong. The ones where I've not been bothered whether they last or not have gone on and on. 

One of the staff where I work had a Peugeot for four years without doing a single thing to it (she thought an MoT was a service ffs). When the oil level light came on I explained the error of her ways, topped it up with the oil we use for turning at work (cheapest 10w40 known to man that we dilute 1:1 with paraffin for a nice finish on a particular type of aluminium) and told her this was purely to get her to a garage. It still had that oil in another three years later when she PXed it. Some cars just seem able to soak up abuse like a sponge. Others at work seem to go wrong every other week no matter what you do with them.

Is there something in the idea that when everything’s just wearing out, it’s wearing out together, and when you start replacing stuff it throws up problems?

I think it’s complete pot luck. Some cars soak abuse and some seem out to get you. Especially in my case when I start fiddling and find (cause) more problems as I go along.

The friend I just got a golf fromwho owned it for 20 years claimed he had never actually opened the bonnet, and when I spoke to the garage who motd it every year they said I should probably change the fuel filter because hed asked them not to bother with non essentials and it had never been done. I’ve just given it a service but I wonder how it will repay me!

This is fantastic! 

My experience, contrary to the serviced and owned by a sympathetic owner thing, is that the less often the car's bonnet is opened, the less stuff goes wrong. The ones where I've not been bothered whether they last or not have gone on and on. 

I have experienced the post service failure due to my own cack handed failings, but have found that (generally and usually) : changing the oil and filters and checking the fluid levels regularly works for me. 

I hope my arithmetic is right, but that seems to work out at about 41pence per mile. I daren't work it out for the Land Rovers, but am happier with the £40 per week on diesel compared to the £70 a week on petrol. When I worked it out years ago on my new Fiat Panda, over three years and losing over half the value of the car, it was less than 20 pence per mile (tyres, service, insurance, ved, all included). I was doing 20,000 miles per year though and the Panda averaged 50mpg. At that sort of mileage per year mpg becomes important.

I do 25k in a 1.5 petrol Mazda. Gets around 45 mpg. It's £700 more a year than a 65 mpg diesel, but it has not failed me in 19k since I bought it in October. A turbo failure would knock the savings out, or a clutch and DMF job etc.

The thing had 50% Paraffin, 50% 10w40?

Sorry didn’t explain that too well, it had just the oil, we mix it with the paraffin and use as a cutting fluid. It’s on old trick my oppo (ex BL tool maker) uses to get a perfect satin finish on 6082T6, it takes anodising much better than if we use ‘proper’ cutting fluid. But to be fair at about £5 for 5l then the paraffin is probably better than the oil anyway!

Is there something in the idea that when everything’s just wearing out, it’s wearing out together, and when you start replacing stuff it throws up problems?

I think it’s complete pot luck. Some cars soak abuse and some seem out to get you. Especially in my case when I start fiddling and find (cause) more problems as I go along.

The friend I just got a golf fromwho owned it for 20 years claimed he had never actually opened the bonnet, and when I spoke to the garage who motd it every year they said I should probably change the fuel filter because hed asked them not to bother with non essentials and it had never been done. I’ve just given it a service but I wonder how it will repay me!

It may repay you with 10% improved fuel consumption and better response.

I read somewhere, it could well have been on here, that modernish cars with ECU will adjust for dirty air filters etc so the car keeps running but at no where near optimum performance or economy.

Based on that, saving £6 plus fitting for air filters and other service items might not save anything at all if the car uses 10% more fuel over 10,000 miles.

But to be fair at about £5 for 5l then the paraffin is probably better than the oil anyway!

I didn't know you could get oil so cheap! I was wondering what is the deal with oils? Don't they have to pass minimum standards regardless of price? Would a cheap crappy oil be OK for a non performance engine? I always thought frequent changes was a better course of action than more expensive oil. Mind you, I know someone who gets me a good rate on some posh 10W30 fully synth stuff.

I didn't know you could get oil so cheap! I was wondering what is the deal with oils? Don't they have to pass minimum standards regardless of price? Would a cheap crappy oil be OK for a non performance engine? I always thought frequent changes was a better course of action than more expensive oil. Mind you, I know someone who gets me a good rate on some posh 10W30 fully synth stuff.

This stuff has no ratings whatsoever apart from being a 10w40 so it could be anything. My guess is that’s it’s what leftover when the decent stuff has been made. We get it in 20l tubs that work out at just over £20 (we don’t pay vat). It might be ok as running in oil or for something you were going to scrap but otherwise I wouldn’t trust it personally.

May I suggest a tip for spreadsheet bangernomicary?

For all costs, put the whole formula in brackets, then add ={(your formula here)}*(1+(RANDBETWEEN(1,100)/100))

Watch how Microsoft Excel predicts your luck.

For V12 jags, use the following: ={(your formula here)}*(RANDBETWEEN(1,RANDBETWEEN(100,500))/100)

Microsoft developed the randbetween function for this very purpose... :-)

Main reason I scrapped the acccord was because it needed money spending on it to see it to the mot, but with a leaky power steering rack and slipping clutch I didn't want to spend a penny on it, it was overdue a service when I got it but it ran for 9 months without a penny spent on it, sold for £13 more than I paid for it.

I honestly felt bad taking it to the bridge.

I’m tallying up what I’ve spent on the Mondeo, including purchase I’m standing at £650. Which I don’t think is too bad for a reliable car which I own outright so I’ve not got any worries if I’m out of work or skint. A chap I worked with spent that in a month and a half on finance repayments.

Having said that it’s quite a lot of money actually for something that’s currently sat on axle stands on the driveway. I’ve cocked up somewhere along the line when I’ve swapped the driveshaft and I’m not sure where. When that’s done hopefully I can just crack on with using it. Famous last words!!

I've not been brave enough to work this out properly. Thinking about it I've found that having crap cars goes in highs and lows. Sometimes I get months with no problems and feel extremely smug, then something goes wrong and causes me loads of hassle (in time if not always in loads of money) and is really annoying.

I do think from time to time how nice it would be to buy something a year or so old and look after it for several years with minimal input, but the kind of new car that I'd actually like to drive is so expensive it sends me straight back to ebay thinking that if I had that disposable income I could buy x,y, or z and have £15k left to run the thing instead.

I tend to use fuelly to keep track although it doesn’t let you separate purchase price from maintenance so include the purchase price as the first service and then net off the resale when sold (or scrapped)..

Alfa overall costs assume the bugger gets sold tomorrow for £400 and in the costs I included the purchase of a donor car for spares (minus bits I’ve ebayed and whatever I get for the shell at weigh-in now it’s stripped).

The reliable* 9-3 Aero did more harm in non fuel issues to my pocket in 7 months than the Alfa did in 10 months and twice the miles...terrible* things Alfas.

Hopefully the 9-5 won’t wallet rape me anywhere except the petrol station.

post-23468-0-71139800-1533822138_thumb.png

post-23468-0-54142400-1533822148_thumb.png

post-23468-0-52447800-1533822540_thumb.png

Forgot the company car I got rid off too...zero repair cost but a serious bite out of my pay for the privilege, but considered it worth the risk of not having to get my wife aka ‘Dodgem Doris’ her own insurance.

Never updated it much as not as much fun just recording fuel, plus adding 60p every day for the electric topup requires a level of anality I don’t possess.

post-23468-0-25731800-1533823050_thumb.png