Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Volvo 940 estate

Project

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   GLTease

GLTease

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

Many thanks for the tips, much appreciated .... hope to get stuck in soon

RE the breather system, I recently sorted mine out (Also B230FK so will be identical) and the job is fresh in my mind so I'll offer a few tips...

1. Don't bother replacing the separator/breather box! The aftermarket ones are apparently flimsy and the original is easy to clean. I blocked up two of the holes on mine, filled the third exposed inlet with brake fluid, sloshed it about, let it soak and repeated the process once more. Now breathes clean and clear and only cost a couple of pounds worth of brake cleaner.

2. When you've got the box off the black, detach the lines that come from it and make sure they're clear. I replaced the smaller vacuum line that goes from the upper breather tube to the manifold with 4.5mm id silicone hose, again only a couple of quid. Also check the breather/vacuum/nipples on the manifold these get blocked too, a 2mm drill bit works perfectly to push through them.

3. Don't waste any time looking for the 'flametrap'! Lots of reference to these online and I searched for mine for ages in vain, in reality later turbo cars weren't fitted with them. Save yourself the time, there isn't one ;)

• JoeyEunos likes this

#32 OFFLINE   GLTease

GLTease

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

The ebay listing stated a check engine light was on for the last 3 years, after a long drive and cleaning, and disconnecting the battery check engine light is gone... Anyone got tips on doing rocker gasket on a Volvo redblock before I get stuck in...

#33 OFFLINE   JoeyEunos

JoeyEunos

• Full Members
  • 439 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationDurham

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

Check engine (Lambda) light will go if you disconnect the battery, or if you pull fuse 1 for a few seconds. Just a case of waiting to see if it comes back....

Can't help with the rocker gasket but it looks very straight forward.

• GLTease likes this

#34 OFFLINE   warninglight

warninglight

• Full Members
  • 555 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLake District

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Belated hello and welcome from another Northern Irish shiter! Now living in the Lakes so you'll have passed by on your way up the M6.

Will have to keep an eye out for you around the Lisburn Rd next time I'm home.

• GLTease likes this

#35 OFFLINE   GLTease

GLTease

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

Throttle body removed and a few mm of crud removed with carb cleaner and Gunk inside and out, linkage had been greased too much and had collected a fair bit of dung also.. Throttle body kinda sticks out in

another wise dusty engine bay.. 

304680edc79fdccfbec674c4395480db.jpg7076bba9d70610f8ed469596a5a9b0d6.jpg

• danthecapriman, Jim Bell, Datsuncog and 1 other like this

#36 OFFLINE   GLTease

GLTease

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hi All,  

the Volvo is getting some much needed love under the bonnet, So done is the CPS,dizzy, rotor, plugs, air filter, PCV cleaned,oil trap , IAC cleaned, TB cleaned and new gasket, fuel pump relay replaced along with ignition module as a precautionary measure, (weak spot that causes non start or shut down) the rocker covers two front bolts were actually spinning they were so loose, so new rocker cover gasket too... thankfully I had already a few spares left over from previous 940 projects so not much in the way of cash spent right now... Next job, replace rear wiper motor, .. And I'll fit a new thermostat and water pump along with a coolant flush before the evenings get any shorter...

It's already being put to work...

cQ6Al8Rm.jpg

• danthecapriman and Datsuncog like this

#37 ONLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 2,860 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

^^^ Grand job!

And another 800 or so carloads should see you all sorted for next summer, hey?

Belfast Boney.jpg

Also - possibly trying for a mini-meet at Ballyclare Auctions next Wednesday evening (12th September) if you're free and fancy it? Think a few folk have other commitments this week, what with the start of term and all that.

• GLTease likes this

#38 OFFLINE   GLTease

GLTease

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:27 AM

Actually building a small bench for my nephew :) Never thought of the 12th thing...  :-D

Flip, Wednesday evening is the evening I drive the missus to her scuba diving classes, otherwise I'd be there..

^^^ Grand job!

And another 800 or so carloads should see you all sorted for next summer, hey?

attachicon.gifBelfast Boney.jpg

Also - possibly trying for a mini-meet at Ballyclare Auctions next Wednesday evening (12th September) if you're free and fancy it? Think a few folk have other commitments this week, what with the start of term and all that.

#39 ONLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 2,860 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

Useful things, pallets - if you can find some that haven't been appropriated by the boney lads... Best of luck with the bench project, and great to see that loadspace being put to good use! Although the Forester's not too bad for load-lugging, I do kinda miss the swallow-anything spaciousness of my old 240.

1988 Volvo 240 GL.jpg

If Wednesday evenings don't suit due to prior commitments, I'm sure we can try to arrange something! Will have a think and be in touch... 

• GLTease likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
GLTease

#40 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 13,254 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

Ace looking Volvo and I need a Hula Girl air freshener......... excellent.

• GLTease likes this

Hyundai i10 auto - white goods shite
Rover 75 1.8 auto - wafty kettle
Ford Galaxy - big red shite with added space

BMW 318i Touring with dealer optional indicators fitted! Gently sleeping!
Triumph Toledo - 2.0 for added sleeper shite

Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto - crusty shite
MG ZT Mean Green Machine
MGF 1.8 VVC BRG floppytop shite

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users