Volvo 940 estate

GLTease

Hi Everyone,

Well, after finding Hubnut's videos on youtube I discovered this website and other like minded ejits..... So a big hello to you all,,,

I'm located in Northern Ireland and have brought around 15 cars over from England over the years, next week it's a Volvo 940 Classic LPT estate....

It's got an MOT but also has few worn bushes, shitty exhaust, and has a hot start issue, all of which I can remedy once I get the thing off the ferry and to my house, I've done lots of projects in the past, but never documented them online, I hoping to let you see my progress with the Volvo here , I'll be posting pics etc soon as I collect the car and will post progress pics throughout.

C

OK, I'll be in Nottingham on Sunday midday for the pickup , place called Southwell...  Due to work, buying the steerage class ticket on the ferry, and timetable stuff, and my wedding anniversary being today, I'll be catching the 23:00 ferry into Belfast, meaning I'll have a long drive ahead of me to Cairnryan, but on the bright side I have lots of time to take breaks, stop at Halfords for useless tat and the obligatory hula girl dash air freshener and engine oil, thankfully its only a 10 min hooning from the ferry port to my house, so if you happen see a green P reg Volvo 940 estate, anywhere between Nottingham and Cairnryan, give me a wave , a flash, buttocks out the windows I don't mind...  I'll have a few pics posted on Monday...

I'm in Southwell right now (I work at Brackenhurst campus). 

Also from N.I. (Whitehead).

I live down the road in Nottingham - happy to hook up if you need a hand or anything - I know Southwell and surrounding area like the back of my hand.

Chris

Chris many thanks for the offer,  good to know I'll have some help if shit hits the fan...  fingers crossed 

I'm in Southwell right now (I work at Brackenhurst campus). 

Also from N.I. (Whitehead).

I live down the road in Nottingham - happy to hook up if you need a hand or anything - I know Southwell and surrounding area like the back of my hand.

Chris

Had a more detailed look over the car yesterday, no rust worth mentioning as I suspected after going through the cars MOT history... So no welding needs to be done, The engine bay is manky, crankcase ventilation hasn't been maintained very well and at the very least needs a breather pipe and new catch can, and as a result of that the rocker cover gasket is knackered so things are a bit on the oily side under the bonnet. So the order of things will be crankcase ventilation renewed/cleaned, rocker cover gasket, oil change, coolant, ECU temp sensor, and the usual service items, dizzy cap rotar etc... I don't nomally go mad cleaning engine bays, but its warranted in this case be nice to check the oil without having to take a bath afterwards...

[...] thankfully its only a 10 min hooning from the ferry port to my house, so if you happen see a green P reg Volvo 940 estate, anywhere between Nottingham and Cairnryan, give me a wave , a flash, buttocks out the windows I don't mind... 

Sounds like you can't be very far at all from myself and several other NI_based shiters... (unless you actually live in Enniskillen and happen to engage warp drive once you hit the M1).

Well done for getting it home, and I look forward to seeing this delectable piece of Scandi-chod locally!

You might be interested in the next NI Shiter Meet-Up, p'raps? Pencilled in for Wednesday 5th September, Ballyclare Auctions.

http://autoshite.com/calendar/event/54-northern-ireland-mini-meet-ballyclare-auctions/

Bring a trailer.

I'm on the Lisburn Road, and yes I'd love to come to come along to the auction, I'll bring the Volvo or my V8 grand cherokee , also chod driven from England...

Sounds like you can't be very far at all from myself and several other NI_based shiters... (unless you actually live in Enniskillen and happen to engage warp drive once you hit the M1).

Well done for getting it home, and I look forward to seeing this delectable piece of Scandi-chod locally!

You might be interested in the next NI Shiter Meet-Up, p'raps? Pencilled in for Wednesday 5th September, Ballyclare Auctions.

http://autoshite.com/topic/32260-for-chod-ulster-north-of-ireland-mini-meet-ballyclare-auctions-808-pics-next-meet-5-sept/?p=1575150

Bring a trailer.

Had a more detailed look over the car yesterday, no rust worth mentioning as I suspected after going through the cars MOT history... So no welding needs to be done, The engine bay is manky, crankcase ventilation hasn't been maintained very well and at the very least needs a breather pipe and new catch can, and as a result of that the rocker cover gasket is knackered so things are a bit on the oily side under the bonnet. So the order of things will be crankcase ventilation renewed/cleaned, rocker cover gasket, oil change, coolant, ECU temp sensor, and the usual service items, dizzy cap rotar etc... I don't nomally go mad cleaning engine bays, but its warranted in this case be nice to check the oil without having to take a bath afterwards...

Every old redblock Volvo I’ve had has had the crankcase breathers in a shit state. They seem to be very commonly ignored or overlooked. My current 740 had actually blocked its (original!) flame trap breather element solid, over pressurised the breather system and blew the flame trap holder in half allowing it to breath again! Made a right mess though!

The previous one I had did the same but instead of blowing the holder apart it popped it’s rocker cover gasket, oil cap seal and when revved it blew its dipstick out of the tube!

RE the breather system, I recently sorted mine out (Also B230FK so will be identical) and the job is fresh in my mind so I'll offer a few tips...

1. Don't bother replacing the separator/breather box! The aftermarket ones are apparently flimsy and the original is easy to clean. I blocked up two of the holes on mine, filled the third exposed inlet with brake fluid, sloshed it about, let it soak and repeated the process once more. Now breathes clean and clear and only cost a couple of pounds worth of brake cleaner.

2. When you've got the box off the black, detach the lines that come from it and make sure they're clear. I replaced the smaller vacuum line that goes from the upper breather tube to the manifold with 4.5mm id silicone hose, again only a couple of quid. Also check the breather/vacuum/nipples on the manifold these get blocked too, a 2mm drill bit works perfectly to push through them.

3. Don't waste any time looking for the 'flametrap'! Lots of reference to these online and I searched for mine for ages in vain, in reality later turbo cars weren't fitted with them. Save yourself the time, there isn't one ;)

I'm on the Lisburn Road, and yes I'd love to come to come along to the auction, I'll bring the Volvo or my V8 grand cherokee , also chod driven from England...

Ahhh the memories.  I used to live on Meadowbank Place.  Used to race my mates chopped and raked out Lambretta up and down the back alleys.  Billy Cav would have been appalled.....

I also had a Lada Riva estate parked out the front for going to the offy and back.  It wasn't terribly legal in most respects - given it's lack of all indicators/stalks/mot/tax etc etc...