Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ask a Shiter

• Please log in to reply
19746 replies to this topic

#19741 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Fly in the ointment

• Full Members
  • 803 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Holes :D

I actually expected a 'your mum' - there........ 

• Hooli likes this

#19742 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 1,837 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Yeah chocked on the other side. I wasn't 100% so I also stuffed a (probably rotten) wood post offcuts down the ramp too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018081...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018081...

If you are still uncomfortable about being under it I have put ratchet straps round the wheels through the ramps before and they inspire confidence.
  • SiC likes this
1968 Morris Minor 1000
1968 Land Rover 
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper
1999 Renault Clio
2001 Renault Clio
2003 Skoda Octavia

#19743 OFFLINE   Nicola H

Nicola H

• Full Members
  • 835 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Phone question guys. I have an almost new iPhone 4s Global.  It was a Nephews in NZ and locked to EE.  It got lost and reported missing, probably to get a new phone. I want to go Vodaphone with Sim only.  Can't go back for a code to EE, so can it be unlocked by a shop or whizz kid? Not worth while?

Can a mod shift this if in wrong place?  Cheers

if it was reported missing it may be perma bricked 

#19744 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationChiddesterrrrrr

Posted Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Alternator terminals.

When I replaced the alternator in the Saab just before xmas I removed a 2 terminal one, and replaced it with an identical unit but fitted with 3 terminals. (1.9 Diesel Denso type). The main B+ terminal was fitted as before, the smaller wire was fitted to the terminal in the same position as the previous.

If there was a 3rd wire to connect to the new alternator, I'd naturally have fitted it. Have I 1) got the second wire on the wrong terminal? or 2) is my wiring or some other component fucked?

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - any 80's Peugeot - Routemaster

#19745 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,521 posts
  • 83 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Yesterday, 06:51 PM

Alternator terminals.

When I replaced the alternator in the Saab just before xmas I removed a 2 terminal one, and replaced it with an identical unit but fitted with 3 terminals. (1.9 Diesel Denso type). The main B+ terminal was fitted as before, the smaller wire was fitted to the terminal in the same position as the previous.

If there was a 3rd wire to connect to the new alternator, I'd naturally have fitted it. Have I 1) got the second wire on the wrong terminal? or 2) is my wiring or some other component fucked?

What are the terminals labelled?

B+, L and F?

According to Saab WIS, F provides the engine ECUs with generator load. "Generator connection F is not used in cars with diesel engine or petrol engine Z18XE.".

L is the battery light and field winding wire. I.e. goes to the battery warning light. On a modern car this goes into the ECU for the ECU to manage it and light the necessary dash lights when needed to.

B+ is to the battery
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#19746 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationChiddesterrrrrr

Posted Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Alternator fitted to car has no labels on the terminals. I've connected to the 2 arrowed in the diagram. The previous alternator had only the 2 arrowed terminals (identical post positions for other 2).

s-l300.jpg

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - any 80's Peugeot - Routemaster

#19747 OFFLINE   666jjp

666jjp

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 97 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 07:16 PM

1.8 petrol vectra ? I’d be checking the breather pipes into the throttle body . The small one goes into a tiny hole and blocks up easily

pulled the pipe off and there was some muck in the throttle body pipe. cleared some and the light went out but it has come on again.

I am a bit wary what to use and how far in to the throttle body to clear.

Unless it’s something a bit more in depth I’d just borrow/buy a cheap reader. What you’ve got there would be handy if you’ve got a spare laptop. I say spare cause a lot of this software is riddled with viruses. A cheap reader should be easy less than a tenner.

what type would be suitable, either of the below?

https://www.ebay.co....G0AAOSwgcVbFlEk

https://www.ebay.co....OsAAOSw2FVbTyGa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users