How do you fund your fleet

Simonsays

Forgive the personal nature of the question but I'm a nosey type.

The two cars that I've recently bought that would possibly count as shite have been bought with my loose change. Deposited into a piggy bank each evening and then fed into the coin-counter in the bank once a month. It mounts up surprisingly quickly in my otherwise unused savings account.

And saves me from wearing holes in my pockets from carrying coinage 'sorry mate, got no £10 notes'

I'm usually shit at saving money but this method seems to work well for me.

Also, no large withdrawals made from our joint account so has wifely approval too.

Which in my house is bloody important.

With my job I do a few miles travelling every month. I claim that back at the usual 45p a mile, but put it to the side in a savings account....

Some months it's bugger all, some months it's a couple of hundred.....

Yes I've to pay out in petrol so its not 45p for nothing, but I tend to take the upfront cost on the chin and put the full cheque into savings

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I have a mate who was adverse to carrying and spending change. I think he just liked to had over notes for some reason. He's no millionaire although he is doing alright.

We used to go to the pub and he would hand over a twenty every time it was his round whereas I was always scrabbling in my pockets for every bit of change like the tight wad I am.

Anyway, he would get home, dump all the change in a pot.

The day came when he was short of a few quid so he collected up all his stashed change.

There was three grand in pound coins alone!!

Got new job.

Payrise.

Worked stupid hours.

Sold myself down the river with my Regional Director with taking on project work / other workload that should be his.

Payrise.

Worked stupid hours.

Got the best set of results in the company.

Payrise.

I still don't earn a lot (retail), but it's enough to fund a few nice bits of shite :D

What bank has a coin counter? They removed the ones from mine. I reckon I have at least £100 lying round in change.

As much as they'll moan, if you take a bag of change to your own bank and deposit it, they will accept it. Doesn't have to be bagged in £1 copper, £20 pound coins etc either although it helps them if it is and means you're not stood around ages.

My "funding" comes from me being able justify shite by having few other big expenses, other than general living costs. I don't take holidays, have new tech or go out clubbing and drink very little and don't smoke.

When I see how much money some people spend on crap like tattoos, vape machines, designer clothes and iPhones, a few hundred quid for something that you can drive and actually do actual things with, and cruicially, own, seems pretty harmless.

The 900 is the first car I've had that's in addition to a daily. I keep my daily cars through thick and thin, the £450 Civic I held onto for about five years and when I became single decided to get a slightly fancier car. The £450 replacement Saab 93 has been with me for four years now and it's ace. Looking after them means I don't get too many horrific bills, which means when I started living in the house, I could justify spending a couple of hundred on a project car. So far I've made good progress and the running total of parts is about £7.

Running chod allows mega savings.

Not paying £200 a month for a lease car saves £2400 per year,

Not paying £200 a month for Mrs Eunos saves another £2400 a year. There's £4800 saved already, ie more money for even more chod.

Also, when running elderly cars it makes sense to have a 'plan B' car to use if/when things go wrong, ergo the excuse for the third car ("You know it makes sense love" wink wink) 

It's a well thought out system and it works very well indeed.

I have a mate who was adverse to carrying and spending change. I think he just liked to had over notes for some reason. He's no millionaire although he is doing alright.

We used to go to the pub and he would hand over a twenty every time it was his round whereas I was always scrabbling in my pockets for every bit of change like the tight wad I am.

Anyway, he would get home, dump all the change in a pot.

The day came when he was short of a few quid so he collected up all his stashed change.

There was three grand in pound coins alone!!

Back in the days when I was first travelling a lot for work I used to get a per diem allowance paid in cash in the local currency whenever I was on a customer’s site (most of the time in the early days). What I didn’t spend just got stuffed into a wallet in my bag. After six months I mentioned this to Mrs BN and later that day she exchanged about £5k in assorted foreign notes at the bank. I guess these days there would be all sorts of questions asked.

Not long after that my role changed for one with a much larger salary and ‘normal’ expenses. I’m sure we were much better off............

I don't fund my fleet very well, namely as it changes so often.

My commute is 5 miles. My insurance isn't paid monthly. My rent is reasonable without being extortionate.

I try to avoid buying broken stuff as a rule now. However I seem to go lax on said rule from time to time.

My only acceptable expense per month is my phone. I pay for my mums and mine, as a sort of apology for the gouging bills I used to give her when it was the other way round.

Regarding clothes and shoes, I NEVER buy cheap brands. I always buy middle of the road decent quality stuff, and it lasts. And generally always in the sales too. Or with those discount codes desperate companies email out.

And I don't drink booze.