Suzuki Baleno GSR

Jim Bell

It was carrying a full tank of fuel to be fair. And I had a big dinner.

Probably more like 7 seconds with Frankie Detori driving it with just a couple of litres in the fuel tank. With the back seats folded down and the windows closed.

Have a dump at a garden centre and then a re run please.

To be fair it looks quick, but i drive a Rialto so anything is.

Took this to work today, because it's bin day and I already had to move the Legacy from the back lane, and wasn't about to move two petrol cars just so I could take an electric one to work.   My excuse.

Not having a small child in the car meant that I was able to use a bit more loud pedal and also carry a bit more speed round corners, particularly as I don't have to leave a big enough distance in front of me to brake gently if necessary, or upload video evidence to the internet.  From this, I have a few observations.

1. The suspension is very bouncy.  Compared to the Leaf the ride is... bouncy.  But not controlled like the Legacy.

Both these cars cost at least 10x what the GSR owes me, so I'm not complaining.

2. The steering is better than I thought, when you're pushing it there's a good bit of feel.

3. The stereo randomly cuts out.

4.  It really likes to take off.  Stupidly so.  At least once I had all four wheels off the ground by what felt like two feet but was probably two inches.  Getting power down over bumps can be a challenge.  Not a dull one either, it's surprisingly engaging!

I then got home and confessed to buying the second half. This resulted in some grumpiness, some explicit statements that I was fully responsible for it and running it will not be funded jointly, followed by an offer to one of her friends to borrow it through the week for commuting.

Hmph!

Took this to work today, because it's bin day and I already had to move the Legacy from the back lane, and wasn't about to move two petrol cars just so I could take an electric one to work.   My excuse.

Not having a small child in the car meant that I was able to use a bit more loud pedal and also carry a bit more speed round corners, particularly as I don't have to leave a big enough distance in front of me to brake gently if necessary, or upload video evidence to the internet.  From this, I have a few observations.

1. The suspension is very bouncy.  Compared to the Leaf the ride is... bouncy.  But not controlled like the Legacy.

Both these cars cost at least 10x what the GSR owes me, so I'm not complaining.

2. The steering is better than I thought, when you're pushing it there's a good bit of feel.

3. The stereo randomly cuts out.

4.  It really likes to take off.  Stupidly so.  At least once I had all four wheels off the ground by what felt like two feet but was probably two inches.  Getting power down over bumps can be a challenge.  Not a dull one either, it's surprisingly engaging!

I then got home and confessed to buying the second half. This resulted in some grumpiness, some explicit statements that I was fully responsible for it and running it will not be funded jointly, followed by an offer to one of her friends to borrow it through the week for commuting.

Hmph!

So what youre basically saying is that you had a canny day AND you still have both of your gonads AND your missus hates me even more than she did yesterday, AND one of your friends gets to enjoy it on the way to work?

I guess the only losers are me and you?

Ah, the Baleno. I remember these getting slated by Glasses' Guide et al for catastrophic depreciation, but I can't really remember why. Catastrophic depreciation caused by a guide warning of catastrophic depreciation?

Some years ago I was riding in my then housemate's car out to go shopping, and saw a bumber for one of these (in silver!!!!) on the side of the A605, in among the traffic cones and Lucazade bottles full of truck driver's wee. I asked for him to stop so I could get it, but he said no, asking why the hell I wanted a bumber for a car that I didn't own.

"But what if somebody I know buys one?"

"Like...who?"

"I don't know," I said, craning my neck back to look at it, "Somebody on Autoshite?"

I seem to remember it stayed there, until they widened the road, when I assume Highways England put it in a skip.

Look mate. Voice of reason here.

If youre going to put an arb bush on, you may as well lower it at the same time. And if youre going under the car you may as well bolt a sumpgaurd on and stay some spotlights to the front.

You say that, but one of my mates is telling me I should polybush it whilst I'm at it. "Weekend's work".