The super low-mile OMGa MmmV6 - being moved on

rantingYoof

Lovely. Just lovely.

Oil coolers tend to leak, or the seals - leading to suspected hgf or actual.

Fit genuine tensioners = long life.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmomega.

:-)

I thought i had HGF

turned out to be cheap oil creating mayo on 710 cap and blocked breathers.

Talking of oil.

Is the low oil sensor on this one super-sensitive, or is it just the facelift ones that do that?

I remember when driving the facelift one I bought in 2016 back up from Northampton. I almost sharted when it gave me a low oil warning. Checked the level on the dipstick at the nearest motorway services; fine. It kept doing that the entire time I had it.

There aren't many Omegas that are realistically worth preserving and will increase in value, but that is one that will. Manual prefacelift MV6.

Knocking will almost certainly be droplinks. Its worth changing the cambelt and tensioners for the sake of £100. And again - clean the breathers and change the oil often, and it will go on forever.

Bit of an update from day 1 commuting; I still have new-car nerves - I suspect they'll stick around for a while with this one given that I'm going to be putting on many umpteens of miles compared to its previous life.

The knocking from the front-right is definitely relating to wheel/road speed rather than engine speed. It is particularly noticeable on sharper right-handed corners (i.e. a small roundabout). And even moreso on a smoother road surface. I can feel it in my left foot which spends its time on the foot-rest - comes through that quite noticeably.

My friendly mechanic is on holiday for two weeks from tomorrow so I won't be able to get him to have a poke around for a while. Excuse my ignorance once again, but are any if the issues listed going to cause potential scary FTPs should the component(s) decide to go from worn to borked completely? I'm wary of anything breaking that helps keep the only contact the car has with the road intact...I may give it to my more-expensive-but-still-friendly garage if there's a safety risk.

I note that the only advisory at the last MOT was that the nearside front road wheel was slightly distorted. I thought this could be causing it at first but nearside is the passenger side not the driver's side, so I guess that's not the culprit.

Also, the brakes are spongey even by Omega standards. SnrYoof's sheddy estate has spongey brakes, which are very good but the pedal doesn't give you inspiration after driving a couple of moderns about. The MmmmmV6 is particularly spongey, and while the bite is reassuring when it comes I definitely need to get the fluid looked at and changed (and possible the brakes adjusted). My mechanic can do that when he gets back as it's a gripe more than a real issue.

More photographs. I'm not a big silver car fan but the wheels really help give the side profile some interest...

post-19970-0-32449800-1533230349_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-62093800-1533230354_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-80225500-1533230359_thumb.jpg

This dashboard is a new one on me. It looks better in person...I prefer it to the wood!

post-19970-0-34482800-1533230364_thumb.jpg

There aren't many Omegas that are realistically worth preserving and will increase in value, but that is one that will. Manual prefacelift MV6.

Knocking will almost certainly be droplinks. Its worth changing the cambelt and tensioners for the sake of £100. And again - clean the breathers and change the oil often, and it will go on forever.

Alas, this is the slushbox and not the manual. It's not strictly ex-plod, even if it does have the 'police auto'. Auto, for me, was a selling point!

The last cambelt change was £500 and I'm no DIYer so alas, unless I decide to keep it for longer, I think I'll be playing cambelt roulette. Saying that, it was changed by Vauxhall in 2014 around 3000 miles ago, and I would assume they'd use a good tensioner too. While the belt is four years old, the tensioner was the weak point (I may be wrong on this?), and so I'd hope that only 3000 miles of gentle use would not put either the belt or tensioner at risk four years down the line...

I am JUST about to go on line and Purchase Cambelt and tensioners.  Because I'm thinking a 200220 Mile MV6 is worty of preservation.  It's a £36k ish car that cost me the cost of erm a service at a main dealer on the same car.  If I look after it it'll start appreciating perhaps.  What will it be worth in 5 years when I get to 300K ? 

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=143230.0

Lets see if they are helpful today - some days they aren't at all and other they are hell bent on helping you. 

TRAFFICMASTER LICENCE EXPIRED. Call....

I can't believe I actually ran a 3.0 Omega as a taxi. What was I thinking?

That profit comes second to customer comfort?

I do need to get me one of these. My Dad was a serial Ford man from his first job in ‘78 to about 2001 when the scheme eventually changed to “whatever you want on lease”. His colleague always wanted one of these, and I now really see the appeal. The 2.0 went very well indeed in the Vectra, so I imagine these are just delightful in the Omega.

I will have one before the tide turns.

I have four 3.0 litre Vauxhalls in my family's past. Two Senators, a silver Omega (which I owned briefly) and a Carlton CDX estate. One Senator and the Carlton were 12v and great at producing noise while drinking fuel and not moving.

The blue Senator 24v was astonishing.

It's no surprise I lick them a lot.

Yes I do. Very very very much so.

I'd almost be tempted to say I'll buy it when the time comes. It would make a nice replacement to the E36 (sorry Tayne!)

Drive what you want and make yourself happy, I’ll not get upset.

I just got the impression that, whilst you really liked your Omega, you felt it was ruined by the slow-witted auto box?

That profit comes second to customer comfort?

I do need to get me one of these. My Dad was a serial Ford man from his first job in ‘78 to about 2001 when the scheme eventually changed to “whatever you want on lease”. His colleague always wanted one of these, and I now really see the appeal. The 2.0 went very well indeed in the Vectra, so I imagine these are just delightful in the Omega.

I will have one before the tide turns.

Mine was a deep metallic blue Elite with beige leather. 

Heated seats front and rear meant that I'd have to wife the streaks of fake tan off the passenger seats on a Sunday morning.

Notable passengers included Ron Dixon off Brookside who was very complimentary about it (and he lives only a quarter of a mile away from CAVCRAFT is he fancies a Vauxhall himself) and Jordan shagger Dwight Yorke who paid me £100 on two £50 notes for a £60 fare running a slapper up to Alderley Edge to be roasted by a few of his mates.

You should read my column in OK! magazine sometime.

Dwight Yorke  ........running..........  up to Alderley Edge 

You should read my column in OK! magazine sometime.

Did he work at AstraZenica  in Drug Discovery then ?  What was he a PHD Chemist or a Pharmacologist or just an underqualified lab rat ? 

I just got the impression that, whilst you really liked your Omega, you felt it was ruined by the slow-witted auto box?

From what I remember it was its sheer keenness to kick down at every opportunity that was a real issue. I'm wondering whether it had a basic ECU which 'learned' the driver's behaviour and it was previously owned by someone who had it in Sports mode the entire time.

Or it may just have been a Vauxhall gearbox.

The 'box in my dad's 2.6 estate is a bit shunty and crashy and is reluctant to change gear when cold, keeping it in first and second remarkably long.

Both the 'box in the MmmV6 and the previous Elite I had - both of them 3.0 engines too - have been more 'laid back' and much less fussy about kicking down. Particularly with the MmmV6 I'm able to use throttle control to keep it in 3rd onto a dual carriageway without using Sports mode and then change it into 4th when I want by lifting pressure a little bit.

It's been nearly three years since I had an auto and I've forgotten how bloody easy it is, particularly with the light steering and good turning circle. It's a big old bus but feels easier to handle than the S60.

Good buy, I have a lot of respect for the Omega. I had a 2(or 2.2) CDX saloon auto as a company car back in the day and it was great. Okay, not so good for bragging rights but actually a really good car. I kept it when I left the company and ran it for another few years, reliable, comfortable and fast enough plus, spacious enough for three kids and a dog in the back!

I was being questioned by a yoof about why Vauxhall instead of a proper car like a BMW or Audi and when I mentioned how much the Omega was new, I was called a liar, they were chuffing dear when new.

I like to think that black 2.6 was an outlier in terms of gearbox behaviour. It did put me off autos somewhat, but the E36 has a lovely gearbox. It only kicks down if you really prod it hard, otherwise you can just accelerate in whatever gear you're currently in. Sport mode also makes quite a noticeable difference too. :D