O.K Clio was a bad idea..... Enter rice racer [New oil pressure switch]

chompy_snake

Click on your name

Go to My Profile

Go to Edit My Profile

That puts you straight into General Account Settings

Scroll down to Profile Information

Member Title - type in what you want, exactly as you want it, for example- Rank: Scrap Dodger

Of course, it might be completely different on mobile, but that's how you do it on desktop.

No french electronic failures?! omgwtafpmsllol

Door open light permanently on and engine light now permanently lit!

It wouldn't be french otherwise... I think the door open warning light is the boot lock unit as the wires into it were all corroded up. I will change it before mot in February but for now it can wait.

Engine light is from P0130 fault so either cat or front lambda fault .... Maybe that badger I hit damaged a wire??

Exhaust clamp advice???

Basically the front pipe to cat joint is useless!

It has a very good habit of falling off or coming loose. The standard clamp is as much use as a potato in a public massacre which doesn't help matters.

There are cast iron clamps (2 piece affair) but I have no idea what size I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Obviously the bay of e's will be used to source.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as soon as I get some free time (rare at the moment), I will post some pictures of the horrors that have to be sorted on the Clio.

To cut a long story short, when the clutch was changed at the garage, they utterly screwed my car up.

It was all fine when it went in except for the clutch of course and the AA recovered it to the place of repair. The person who did the work was told to fix anything that was worn, damaged or failing and I dont care about the cost .... just do the work I will settle up when I collect.

I was told that a new gearbox mount had been fitted (rear left engine mount) and that was the only thing of note .... this was later changed to "I put a used one on".

Got the car back with 2 obvious and worrying symptoms ....1, there is a serious wheel wobble at anything above 60mph. 2, I had great difficulty selcting 1st and reverse gears!

So fast forward a couple of weeks and the exhaust starts to blow and it's throwing coolant everywhere (yet another job I asked him to fix), so I took the car to someone I trust to inspect the workmanship..... I'm extremely glad that I did!!

The list of issues present were as follows .....

Rear central engine mount totally destroyed (I was assured this did not require changing and was in good shape)

Rear Left engine mount both torn and not bolted to the bracket correctly, this was allowing the engine to just float all over the place (this is the very mount he said that he had changed and because of markings I know he hasn't)

N/s driveshaft reluctor ring snapped in 2 places, obviously damaged due to some form of impact and also twisted out of shape. this kind of damage rarely happens from wear.

catalytic converter flexi joint snapped almost all the way off.

all of the brand new exhaust rubbers and mounts mangled and snapped.

N/s bottom balljoint had enough play for the balljoint to leave its housing on the lower arm, also related issues, pinchbolt that sescures this balljoint was the wrong bolt and completely stripped of threads ... plus nut completely stripped and mostly undone!

N/s drop link as good as snapped and the nut that secures it was totally wrecked

Thermostat housing missing a massive piece and the gasket was missing a large piece too ... .this was causing an unwelcome waterfall.

Oil filter loosened off about 1 1/2 turns creating a huge oil leak!

I have probably missed a few things from that list. I reckon these faults are mostly a cause of the poor workmanship and left the car in a dangerous and unroadworthy condition (so do 2 very reputable local garages)! 

Each and every item that is having to be replaced is being photographed and receipts are being kept for any parts/labour charges just to get this right again.

I am happy to chalk some of it up as wear and tear but it only passed the MOT in Feb of this year and most of the items were not in poor condition when I sent him the car.

It has definitely left a sour taste with using garages for me after this .... Bill to set it right so far is approaching £250 and there are still things to do!

I am not giving up on the car yet as I love it to bits. I am repairing every item required to be safe and correct again because I really want to keep this one as long as possible.

I am also not willing to name anyone responsible publicly. I want this person to at least have the opportunity to explain why my car is such a mess and in such a dangerous state after he was trusted and paid for the job. I think that is the correct approach with this situation.

There is of course a silver lining …. once this is all sorted out. The front of my little Clio will be mostly brand new and should last for a good while before I have to consider any major spends again :D

Ok, here we are at last.....

A catalogue to date of parts that have HAD to be replaced as a direct result (so far) of a bodged clutch replacement!

Rear centre engine mount (dogbone)

post-26347-0-15248900-1535148018_thumb.jpeg

The manifold had to be completely replaced as that broken stud would not come out and there really isn't enough material to just drill and through bolt

post-26347-0-52292700-1535148069_thumb.jpeg

Also he snapped the cat Flexi so the whole cat had to be changed too!

The snapped ABS reluctor ring on the driveshaft that was totally fine when it went in and is now actually bent (reckon it had been thrown on the floor)

post-26347-0-48120500-1535148095_thumb.jpeg

Knackered balljoint

post-26347-0-14425100-1535148125_thumb.jpeg

Related snapped drop link

post-26347-0-33397100-1535148161_thumb.jpeg

The thermostat housing he had promised me that he had sealed and wasn't leaking anymore.

post-26347-0-42509500-1535148186_thumb.jpegpost-26347-0-09622800-1535148208_thumb.jpeg

And for comedy value .... The exhaust (if you can call it that) that was fitted when I got it!post-26347-0-72370700-1535148312_thumb.jpeg

Now I'm not daft and I know some of these items were worn and would have needed replacing at some point soon. But there was plenty of life left in most of it!

Also due to family emergency I am back and forth to Grimsby daily and realised the gearbox had started howling in 5th.

Sent it to the garage this morning and it needed 3.5 litres of oil adding .... So all of the oil wasn't there basically!

The guy that did the job this morning pointed out that there wasn't any leaks at all and the bolt to fill had not been out in a very long time if ever at all. The person that did the clutch simply must not have filled the box when done!

Gearbox thankfully seems to have survived the ordeal.

As the person who did the work and broke my car doesn't want to liaise at all about it. I am taking him through trading standards and small claims court as this has been a VERY expensive mistake.

And just to point out the mega mpg of my little 1.2 16v Clio .....

post-26347-0-99769700-1535149172_thumb.jpgpost-26347-0-50150900-1535149189_thumb.jpgpost-26347-0-71367700-1535149205_thumb.jpg

That was my house to Grimsby including stuck in some rather heavy traffic entering the land of the cod heads

Ok I have a long-standing and very insignificant fault with the door locking circuit.

When I first got the car the door open light on the dash along with the eml were intermittently coming on.

I have solved the eml and I'm left with this pesky bloody door open warning light!

So far the front door pins have been tested and subsequently replaced with new ones. The boot latch has also been fully tested and checks out fine.

The central locking works as it should on the remote, however, the indicators don't flash when it locks.

Just before the light came on permanently it was on and off with the brake lights.... However, no interruptions to the rear lights.

Any ideas???

I'm a bit lost short of a UCH interrogation to find which door is at fault.... I don't have the software for this though.

Funny you guys should mention the UCH.

it's not anchored to its bracket properly so someone has certainly been fiddling before. 

After some general testing this afternoon it seems the drivers door pin wires have an intermittent short reading. This seems to be the only fault present and I would guess that it's caused by somethinig within the UCH module itself.... possibly also why it went through a stage of coming on with the brake lights??

The UCH module doesn't look like it has been wet at any point (I took it off and opened it) and happily Renault do sell new ones still. Cost is a shade over £300 all fitted and coded so I am probably going to live with the issue until later in the year!

Providing of course the rest of the system doesn't go haywire it will be ok

Sounds like a real quality* you used the first time. Things like that are why I try not to use them as it always seems to happen to me.

Small update on the door open situation ....

Opened the UCH module. Inside is a circuit board with several relays fitted.

Looks like I have 9 dry solder joints. All of these joints have visible cracks in them so hopefully a simple re-flow of these joints will achieve something. Hopefully that something doesn't end up being a locked immobilizer haha

Update*

Joints repaired and the only thing it has changed is no more flickery headlights and the clicking relay has stopped.

All the rear light clusters check out too. Bloody french electrics

• 5 weeks later...

Well the Clio has gone the way of all things French!

Random 2 cylinder missfire with no fault codes and a general reluctance to behave electronically! (Oh the surprise)

This has been properly fixed by purchasing a rice rocket.

This particular rice rocket is a Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 sport wagon.

Seems nice

Smells nice inside

Needs good valet and external polish but wouldn't say massively dirty.

That's me happy

post-26347-0-91955100-1538271397_thumb.jpgpost-26347-0-07453800-1538271416_thumb.jpgpost-26347-0-47041800-1538271428_thumb.jpgpost-26347-0-14046700-1538271442_thumb.jpg

I already know the car and also know with a bit of effort it stays shiny red.

Goes brum, stops better than it has any right too (Ty Mike).

None of my neighbours have one so I can't steal their wheels (stuck if I have a flat tyre now).

This has just flown through an MOT and is possibly the most I will be spending on a car in a very long time.

Updates will follow as it gets cleaned I guess.