1998 Jaguar XJ8 3.2 MOT May 19

Youngteam

You won't lose money on it, apart from filling it with fuel. Mine is a 3.2 sport and the very best you can hope for id 25mpg on a run on a VERRRY good day. Round town i've seen around 12-17mpg.

I'm running a 3.0 V6 ST220 on a daily basis at the moment which gets about 26-28 on my commute, that is mainly motorway and currently 50mph speed limits through the majority of it, so I don't think it would be too much of a shock fuel bills wise.  I mean its obviously going to be more, but its not as if i'm coming from something which just sips it

I need to do some man-maths and get some insurance quotes..

Bought it and drove it 80 ish miles home. Total pleasure to drive and Youngteam was the perfect vendor,even picked me up from the train station. Took it round to a friend who wanted to borrow a good looking car for his mates wedding and I think it made his day as well. Doesn't get much better than this.Thanks.

Bought it and drove it 80 ish miles home. Total pleasure to drive and Youngteam was the perfect vendor,even picked me up from the train station. Took it round to a friend who wanted to borrow a good looking car for his mates wedding and I think it made his day as well. Doesn't get much better than this.Thanks.

Excellent stuff!

Welcome to the Pleasure Dome, in that case. You're one of us now. Your brown and beige robes are in the post, embroidered with "Champagne Motoring for Lemonade Money Section" insignia.

Keep us updated, I'd genuinely like to hear how this turns out/have the chance the buy when I'm not swimming with PSA shite and a random Mercedes.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all above and apologies for not acknowledging earlier. The Jag is still waiting for his day in the sun,which is the weekend of the 22nd September. My son used it for a 24 hour stint to celebrate his 21st and being able to finally insure one of his Dad's Jags. I've replaced the headlining (took the old one out,cleaned the dead foam stuff off,removed the fabric and replaced with 'Smoke' coloured, self adhesive lining fabric...£30 and enough to do another) Put a new cam cover breather on,cleaned the engine bay and had a proper old school 'DentMan' come and remove four raised 'dents' on the bootlid...It was one of those strange moments when you want to look away but are also fixed to the spot gawking....this was as he happily went round the boot lid with what looked like a hammer and punch. Did an awesome job though. The last to do before the weekend is replace some of the broken fasteners on the drivers door card,really don't want him pulling the handle off getting out or into the car......ummmm

post-26320-0-25887200-1537122757_thumb.jpg

post-26320-0-40215600-1537122769_thumb.jpg

post-26320-0-50087300-1537122807_thumb.jpg

post-26320-0-87068700-1537122834_thumb.jpg

Alright twack, don't suppose you're the same Jon who sold me a turquoise 4.0 Sport a couple of months back? :)

Guilty as charged Richard. I came on here after speaking to the guy who picked it up had explained how you two had sorted the collection and so on. I liked that. No airs and graces,everyone enjoying their cars and happy to help out if they can. I bought this one as a friend needed a good looking car for a wedding and I'd literally just said goodbye to the turquoise one at the time so I thought I'd look for another one I could do a little work to and do a friend a favour at the same time. 

Guilty as charged Richard. I came on here after speaking to the guy who picked it up had explained how you two had sorted the collection and so on. I liked that. No airs and graces,everyone enjoying their cars and happy to help out if they can. I bought this one as a friend needed a good looking car for a wedding and I'd literally just said goodbye to the turquoise one at the time so I thought I'd look for another one I could do a little work to and do a friend a favour at the same time. 

Cool, glad to see you here and hope you'll stick around! My collection thread and ongoing log is here if you're interested:

http://autoshite.com/topic/32559-raves-x300-40-sport-7918-exhaust-and-abs-queries/

At the moment it's looking like my exhaust fitting attempt will be on Monday, followed by attempting an ABS sensor bodge if that goes smoothly. Suspect I won't have it MOT worthy by Tuesday when it's due, but you never know.

Ironically I got married (or went to the service rather) in a 15 year old jag with weetabix front wings. It said everything about me that needed to be said to my in laws and those that attended the service. It said even more to the wife the day after when it made a noise consistent with the diff seizing on the A57 when we were due to embark on our honeymoon. Looking back she really ought to have known what she was letting herself in for.

These cars are immense, I love the feeling of solidarity you get when you climb in over the massive sills. One of my all time favourite cars these.

Cool, glad to see you here and hope you'll stick around! My collection thread and ongoing log is here if you're interested:

http://autoshite.com/topic/32559-raves-x300-40-sport-7918-exhaust-and-abs-queries/

At the moment it's looking like my exhaust fitting attempt will be on Monday, followed by attempting an ABS sensor bodge if that goes smoothly. Suspect I won't have it MOT worthy by Tuesday when it's due, but you never know.

Just had a read though on your update thread,awesome to see someone else getting stuck in. I've left a note which I hope you'll find useful.As for the exhaust though,if the boxes are good then getting it welded might be the cheaper option, although the 'over the axle' section does manoeuvre out without to much of an issue (when it's the right length at least). I've only just managed to post pictures on here and at the same time realise fellow 'Autoshiters' are up for write-ups/pictures or work done etc....here to stay I'd say.