1998 Jaguar XJ8 3.2 MOT May 19

Youngteam

I bought this a month or so ago to use as a car for my wedding this last weekend and because I've always fancied one. Seems a good one, a few rust blebs but nothing major that I've found. I have to admit that I haven't gone over it all that well though.

I've fitted a second hand security module so the remote locking now works. It has two sets of keys with remotes, one with a missing lock button but still works fine.

I've also fitted an aluminium thermostat housing as the plastic one was starting to crack and leak slightly. I didn't want this popping on the way to the registry office :)

New quality* (Landsail) tyres on the back, some other quality* (Accelera) tyres on the front with good tread but could probably do with replacing soonish due to age.

MOTd till May 19. Everything seems to work apart from the volume knob of the radio, steering mounted controls work fine though. Air con is nice and cold.

This had a replacement engine at great cost by a Jaguar main dealer in 2004 as the original seized, apparently due to the Nikasil related issue. I'm told this is the later engine that doesn't suffer from the same issue and has other minor improvements over the earlier model.

Headlining is sagging. TATDS*

Not sure what to ask for this so offers around £900? Do tell me if I'm being unrealistic.

Car is in Belper, near Derby. Belper train station about 2 miles away but collection from Derby if it helps an epic collection thread.

Photos shortly.

Guest Hooli

That looks lovely but you've been polishing your knob too much & worn the end out!

Is the 110mile range from a full tank? :D

If this is still about in a couple of weeks I might have to be silly...

That looks lovely but you've been polishing your knob too much & worn the end out!

Is the 110mile range from a full tank? :D

If this is still about in a couple of weeks I might have to be silly...

Nothing like polishing your knob in a Jag  :-D

Not far off, I think that's from half a tank after a few short journeys. Gets better on a run but not much to be honest. Lovely place to be though. 

The last silver X308 I saw belonged to a friend of mine. He had it from new and only put tiny miles on it, driving it to the golf club mostly - for some weird reason Brian traded it against a 2015 Civic estate and then moaned that the ride is too hard every time I saw him - no shit?

I moved away, and still get the odd text from him moaning about his Civic, so I sent him the link saying "you know it makes sense".

Get thee behind me, Satan..

Do these have a nice V8 burble or do they waft along in Jaguaresque silence?

Leave sport mode off and accelerating from low revs you get a bit of a burble, put sport mode on and floor it and it absolutely screams. Well mine does at least!

Leave sport mode off and accelerating from low revs you get a bit of a burble, put sport mode on and floor it and it absolutely screams. Well mine does at least!

It was the same with mine. Never unrefined though. In their performance characteristics and general mannerisms, they're more like old school XJ12s.

I bought this a month or so ago to use as a car for my wedding this last weekend and because I've always fancied one. Seems a good one, a few rust blebs but nothing major that I've found. I have to admit that I haven't gone over it all that well though.

I've fitted a second hand security module so the remote locking now works. It has two sets of keys with remotes, one with a missing lock button but still works fine.

I've also fitted an aluminium thermostat housing as the plastic one was starting to crack and leak slightly. I didn't want this popping on the way to the registry office :)

New quality* (Landsail) tyres on the back, some other quality* (Accelera) tyres on the front with good tread but could probably do with replacing soonish due to age.

MOTd till May 19. Everything seems to work apart from the volume knob of the radio, steering mounted controls work fine though. Air con is nice and cold.

This had a replacement engine at great cost by a Jaguar main dealer in 2004 as the original seized, apparently due to the Nikasil related issue. I'm told this is the later engine that doesn't suffer from the same issue and has other minor improvements over the earlier model.

Headlining is sagging. TATDS*

Not sure what to ask for this so offers around £900? Do tell me if I'm being unrealistic.

Car is in Belper, near Derby. Belper train station about 2 miles away but collection from Derby if it helps an epic collection thread.

Photos shortly.

£900 for one of these is a steal, provided there isn't rot in the chassis legs strut mount or strut tops which these do for a pass time.

Both of these will require struts removed to weld up.

Just a fyi which is applicable to both the xj8 and xj6. Treat suspension bushes and rear subframe a-frame bushes as general service items. These jags are very hard on the suspension due to weight and will wear quicker than equivalent german or jap chod.

Almost all of mine are due for imminent replacement.

Dayum, I am getting a major twinge for this, I mean I could just buy it to get the V8 thing out of my system and then sell it on in a few months for more or less what I paid - making it a free Jag experience, right guys?  Guys?

There is literally no way it could end up being a ruinously expensive basket case that I lose all my money on, I just need to see whether my mate would be willing to store my actual car for a bit because space is a problem. 

I mean just look at it, all that for less than the price of an iPhone....FFS man.

post-20353-0-21538100-1533304048_thumb.jpg