9-5 Aero Sans MOT - would make good tent - £3 a ticket

Ohdearme

Ok its got no air at the bottom of one of the tyres, but that 9000 looks nice.

The 9-5 looks grand as well, especially as it has the better front bumper.

Think it will also have Xenons which on my old 9-5 were grand.

Xenons will be good once I've cleaned the cataracts off the lenses...

Look closely at the front wing of the 9000, can't see it that well on the photo but I could have climbed through the hole in the wing at a push.

I have just replaced both transmission oil cooler pipes on my 9-5,due to leakage but not as bad as yours!. Also check the power steering pipes while you are in the same area and be careful not to overfill the gearbox,they don't like an excess of oil,it's no good asking me why though.

I have just replaced both transmission oil cooler pipes on my 9-5,due to leakage but not as bad as yours!. Also check the power steering pipes while you are in the same area and be careful not to overfill the gearbox,they don't like an excess of oil,it's no good asking me why though.

Thanks, I don't suppose you have the part number lying about so I can go sniffing about for a source?

I was going to change the atf fluid anyway after purchase, this has somewhat accelerated that decision :)

Which exact weather does the railway in Britain require to work properly?

Drizzle, full overcast and about 17C.

- dimming passenger mirror dead so permanently bronze

+ bronze reflections make the world look way cooler

Virtual tobacco filter for the full CSI Miami experience, all you need is The Who warbling about not being fooled again.

Nice!

On my thread, someone (Talbot?) recommended a paving slab in the boot as a work around for the self-levelling headlamps.

According to YouTube dead pixels on SIDs are an easy fix, haven't got round to doing mine yet though.

I tend to agree with your general comments, the handling isn't the most nimble but they do really shift. I was surprised by the absence of torque steer though, they deal with the power surprisingly well.

I've had advice that getting someone to stand in the boot when you turn the lights on will confirm if it is the rear sensor that is knackered, I have pallets of bricks at home so might load up and see what happens.

I was surprised by lack of torque steer too, had a 9-3 Aero coupe about a year ago and that was all over the shop - trying to hold the wheel at quarter to three was like trying to speed milk a cow.

Did I see you advertising that on eBay a while back?

I loved my 9-5 aero. I can’t work out what it’s nearest equivalent is now.

I don't think there's anything at all quite like it nowadays; even when the model was new, only the Volvo V70 T5 came close to matching it. 

I like driving a car with a truly unique image which was also the fastest production car Saab ever made   8)

I don't think there's anything at all quite like it nowadays; even when the model was new, only the Volvo V70 T5 came close to matching it.

I like driving a car with a truly unique image which was also the fastest production car Saab ever made 8)

I thought the AWD 2.8t V6 on the 9-3 was a fair bit quicker? Especially in the 320bhp tune.

I don't know. The 9-3 Sport doesn't even register on my Saab radar, as they really aren't very good cars; by the time they were released, the company had well and truly lost the plot due to the GM/FIAT influence. You only have to look at the 'Dame Edna' 9-5 for categorical proof of this.

I like driving a car with a truly unique image which was also the fastest production car Saab ever made   8)

I've had a couple of E39 V8's but not in estate form and they're bit more mainstream.

This is my second 9-5 and 3rd Saab, I looked around for V70's as I've never had a volvo or a 5 pot but it's hard to look away from the value* of the 9-5.

*says the man pricing up new atf hoses and wondering how to find the time to sneakily fit them without alerting the wife to a semi-borked new purchase.

I've had a couple of E39 V8's but not in estate form and they're bit more mainstream.

This is my second 9-5 and 3rd Saab, I looked around for V70's as I've never had a volvo or a 5 pot but it's hard to look away from the value* of the 9-5.

*says the man pricing up new atf hoses and wondering how to find the time to sneakily fit them without alerting the wife to a semi-borked new purchase.

The Aero is the most 'complete' car I've ever owned, in terms of performance, comfort, equipment and overall driving satisfaction. Not bad for a £995 eBay purchase :)

The ATF leak seems quite bad, so much so that I'm trying to avoid driving it at the minute, have fortunately found somebody breaking their Aero who is prepared to flog me the parts once removed from their breaker but that's a week away.

They won't be pristine but they also won't be the three figure sums required for new ones and avoids me having to worriedly try and work out the dimensions at the counter of Pirtek, etc.

Will be Hammerite-ing them all over before fitting as I don't want to have this issue again.

Shame I took the Alfa off my insurance, could have done with a spare car right now...

Opted to avoid the insurance and go for the cheaper option of another £6 on a bottle of Dexron four and a stop at Trowell to make sure all was ok. Nothing to report o will be driving back from the Midlands later this afternoon.

Additions to the list of things to do

- Driver's door speaker isn't working

- Clean all the switches, it feels like they've been pawed by a bogey fingered two year old

My headlights have cataracts and my kids finished their toothpaste today.

A rag and two minutes of half arsed wiping with the dregs of the tube suggests they’ll polish up.

Spending incoming on a proper restoration kit i think. Weird the previous owner paid for them to be polished in 2017?

Either he commuted through acid rain and gravel ever since or they emperor’s new clothes-Ed him somehow.

someone (Talbot?) recommended a paving slab in the boot as a work around for the self-levelling headlamps.

I've had advice that getting someone to stand in the boot when you turn the lights on will confirm if it is the rear sensor that is knackered,

Yes, that was me, based on an ex-colleage who had a 2002 9-5 2.3HOT which he had driven to the moon and back, and suffered this problem.. the height detectors on the rear wear at normal height, so you get a duff signal from them and hence throw the system fault lamp on. By moving the ride height by an inch, you use an un-worn bit of the height detector, and the system works again. Apparently this *is* checked for at MOT (I've never had a car with xenon headlamps, so have no idea) so he used to present the car with a paving slab in the boot to keep the fault lamp out.

Apparently the height sensors are NLA and working ones are ruddy expensive second-hand, as most of them are worn out now.