P38 Range Rover, provisionally claimed by *lucky shiter of much winning!

djimbob

Bright side. Didn't pack up on MWay, no one hurt and not too much laid out. But sorry to hear. Hydraulic lifter treatment not heard of it but worth a go. It does have enough oil in it...correct dipstick etc? Might be worth draining the oil and a filter change? Grasping a straws I know. I once bought an XJS off the block, ticked over nicely...first blast up the MWay knock knock knock. You win a few ...

3.2 XJ Sport?

Mot until 22nd August next year, just a couple of advisories to sort before it is off.

Oh helo,

any more details?

I am a bit of a Jag guy, but have left them alone for a couple of years due to being sick of droopy headlining, rust, water ingress, that kind of thing, and then I cracked and bought a Range Rover which is palpably much worse on all those points and more :)

I see you are a long way away, but I suppose that should not stop us shiters ;)

One stuck lifter can make it sound really horrible .

How does one go about investigating this? Or is it best to just bang the magic liquid straight in and see what happens?

I have never come across this before, didn't want to invest much time in fannying around once the problems came, but not even got on the plane for the honeymoon for this one before I got fucked ;)

The car in question sounded terrible I could tell it was coming from the top end so in a I’ve nothing to lose move just lobbed the fluid in. It made bugger all difference but after about 5 minutes of idling all went quiet . It was fine after that . It cost about 8 quid for a tin.

We have a quiet ish engine!!

I dropped a glug of the only suitable oil I had to hand (chainsaw grade) in the oil hole, and fired her up - no more knocking!

I don't know what this means aside from the fact she now needs an oil and filter change, but 'twas instant success - I will fire the video I took to djoptix again to see if he can post it on here :)

Still want shut mind you now, itch well and truly scratched, bucket list ticked off etc ;)

do the oil change....you'll be glad as RR's are a wonderful thing..

when they're running right!!!

and not rusting

or getting fuel!!

Right then,

so we have a fault which goes away when lubrication is added to the right hand rocker top oil filler thingy, and not much either, what do we know of the fault?

Is it a hydraulic lifter starved of good quality/any oil?

is it a lack of oil anyway up top, and why? How can I test this with confidence?

An oil change is obviously on the cards now, any suggestions as to the best grade bearing in mind this issue?

All answers gratefully received, I have little experience of these engines, especially in the last couple of decades when I've been going Oriental in flavour for these very reasons ;)

Must admit, quite impressed it managed to shut the hell up so quickly and easily, my motors usually just get noisier and implode soon thereafter :)

And to add, I still want rid now :)

Oh helo,

any more details?

I am a bit of a Jag guy, but have left them alone for a couple of years due to being sick of droopy headlining, rust, water ingress, that kind of thing, and then I cracked and bought a Range Rover which is palpably much worse on all those points and more :)

I see you are a long way away, but I suppose that should not stop us shiters ;)

Messaged you with links to the threads but you've fixed it now. 

Well done!

Either it means it has a serious oil habit and ran itself low on the first drive, it was already low when you picked it up, it only knocks when warm (have you had it up to temp\driven it yet?)  Have you actually checked the level on the dipstick?

I don't know about the right oil grade for these things but there are plenty of Rover V8 lickers on here who will be able to assist i'm sure.  I'd get the oil and filter changed then attempt another drive and see where its at. 

The rover V8 is most happy on 20w50 oil, honestly.  You can go 10w40 if you're flash!  The camshaft will wear out very quickly if oil changes are neglected; it probably does have some cam/ lifter wear in there unless it's been really well looked after.

A good snapshot of an RV8's health is to peer into the rocker cover.  If it's clean with just staining, it's a very good one.  If there's nasty build up of sludge and black crap, she's due some love!

Noisy tappet is the Rover V8 politely requesting an oil change, and a positive sign that there's at least one cam lobe with a bit of meat left. Failure to change oil on a new purchase anyway does, I'm afraid, cast a shadow on your character. Now use the thing and come back when you've a proper problem like slipped liners or no oil pressure.

Right then,

just been to the local motor factors who happily had the correct oil filter in, purchased it and some 10/40 semi synth, and a can of Wynns snake oil for tappety shit :)

The noise came back on the short trip, but I was confident :)

post-20048-0-08114500-1532533475_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-51850000-1532533496_thumb.jpg

No need for a jack, plenty of room under there with even my girth :)

About the right amount of dead, black, runy oils, dirty filter, who knows when last changed!

post-20048-0-82193100-1532533587_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-89156200-1532533608_thumb.jpg

Supernatural potion made fuck all difference so far, bah :(

Still noisy and knocking, made another couple of videos but they sound pretty similar to the first one tbh, rattles on idle, rattles with a good revving.

Arse biscuits, am hoping it will settle down, but when I look down thru the filler opening I'm just not seeing the oil getting thrown around like I think I should, is this normal peeps?

It's not over yet apparently, keep the alternative motah suggestions coming please people ;)

I'm deaf! I don't recommend it but.........

You shout a lot when you are deaf.

Next time you're in Rochdale I can supply you with some of my wife's ear plugs.

These are my first videos of eva, need to adapt to the conditions I guess, mumbling isn't helping is it ;)