Fast. Fixed. Full MOT. Saab 9-5 2.3t auto estate, £500

djoptix

Not sure what to ask for this. Tentatively £500? Will probably put it on eGay/Cock-and-Bumtree at £650. It's in Bristol (as am I).

I bought this from Steve79 of this parish about 6 months ago as a temporary work van. I was only planning to keep it for three weeks, but it got under my skin a bit :) It had non working ABS due to a pump problem. It's out of MOT in August, so I put it in for a speculative MOT at my local. It only failed on the ABS. So, dear shiters, I have actually fixed a thing. New ABS block acquired, old one removed, new one fitted, brakes bled all round (I even managed to free all the bleed nipples without shearing any).

In my time with it I've also changed the wheels, because I didn't get on with the five spokes that were on it before.

Anyway, it's a 9-5 estate, has 185bhp and 170k miles, but drives like it's done... 150k or something. The interior is a bit worn but in generally good nick. It has the best stereo I've ever had in a car, cruise control, rock solid gearbox with no shunts or bangs, and Sport/Winter modes all working. It's a fast wafty car in normal mode, in Sport it is still a big heavy car but overtakes things like you wouldn't believe.

Let me list all the things that are wrong with it - 

• Main thing is that one of the heater flaps is stuck, so it will always be on hot despite what the climate control says. Most of the time this isn't a problem, but it has been rather fucking hot over the last few weeks and I've had the window open constantly.
  • AC needs regas M9.
  • Complains that washer fluid is low - it isn't
  • Complains that coolant is low - it isn't
  • Complains that a front light has failed - it hasn't it has! I'll fix this...
  • Puts on EML sometimes with code P110, which I think might be something to do with the engine breathers. Code clears fine with my code reader, then comes back, sometimes after a couple of days, sometimes a week. Makes no difference to anything.
  • Scratches on both rear doors

Lots of good points though...

• Goes like greased weasel shit
  • Comfy
  • Awesome stereo
  • Will return 35mpg if you're very very sensible
  • Cruise control
  • Still feels like a Saab. You feel special driving it. Did you know they make planes?
  • Ideal for getting speeding fines in, ask me how I know
  • Heated seats
  • Haz turbot
  • Enormous boot
  • Best cup holder known to man
  • "Night panel" mode

To my shame, because I wasn't ever planning to keep it this long, I haven't done the oil/plugs/filters and so on. I'm happy to do them if anyone from here wants to buy the car, just reimburse me for the bits - oil/plugs/air filter/oil filter, any or all of those, just let me know.

Equally, I always toyed with the idea of getting the Noobtune remap for this - it's currently 185bhp, the remap will take it to 235bhp and costs £95. If someone wants it with the remap applied, I'll sort this out at cost.

Anyway, pictures.

post-7585-0-91327900-1532468647_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-44658700-1532468655_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-99573400-1532468667_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-29129700-1532468679_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-03057700-1532468694_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-72101000-1532468705_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-15933800-1532468542_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-96681400-1532468637_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-19065000-1532468722_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-40705400-1532468729_thumb.jpg

post-7585-0-20086600-1532468714_thumb.jpg

Have you tried putting the climate control into recalibrate mode? That will also tell you any error codes if something is broken/stuck. I can't remember the exact combination of buttons but you don't need a diagnostic tool to do it.

Guest Hooli

Have you tried putting the climate control into recalibrate mode? That will also tell you any error codes if something is broken/stuck. I can't remember the exact combination of buttons but you don't need a diagnostic tool to do it.

Auto & off for 3 secs I think from memory.

It'll probably be a cracked bit of plastic where the stepper motors on the side of the heater plug into. You can get repair kits or just blob some glue in & put the motor back as I did.

Bugger, looks like its got a gearstick. :(

Otherwise I would have been on the train. Getting too old to cope with having two similar cars, one manual and one auto (we have a Saab floppytop).

Other than that it is perfect in every way, would have made an excellent replacement for the ex-HK volvo estate just for the sake of change.

Bugger, looks like its got a gearstick. :(

Otherwise I would have been on the train. Getting too old to cope with having two similar cars, one manual and one auto (we have a Saab floppytop).

Other than that it is perfect in every way, would have made an excellent replacement for the ex-HK volvo estate just for the sake of change.

It does have a gearstick - it remotely operates the automatic gearbox...

Auto & off for 3 secs I think from memory.

It'll probably be a cracked bit of plastic where the stepper motors on the side of the heater plug into. You can get repair kits or just blob some glue in & put the motor back as I did.

Are they easy to get into? Saab always seem a bit better designed access wise than most cars but there is always THAT job on any motor.

Guest Hooli

Are they easy to get into? Saab always seem a bit better designed access wise than most cars but there is always THAT job on any motor.

About five bolts to get the bottom dash panel off & two bolts hold the motor in as far as I recall. Easy enough once you're laid in the footwell.

That's on a 54 plate of course, but I doubt it's changed much.

Seatbelt sign is class. I would drive my wife nuts.

"Please keep seatbelts fastened until the SAAB has come to a complete stop. Please be careful when opening overhead lockers as things may have moved during the journey. Crew arm doors for arrival and cross check (when pressing unlock central locking button"

Guest Hooli

Mine gets 35mpg on motorways, it touched 40 coming back from SiC's the day I got it but has never managed that since. Last trip to Scotland & back it averaged about 32mpg.

You get 35mpg?

Mine is an Aero HOT with the Noobtune stage one remap, it is terrifyingly fast but I haven't seen better than 28.

Seat belt alarm has been disconnected on the driver's side on mine but not the passenger, you really can't ignore it!

35mpg was my best, cruising on the motorway for most of that tank.

I don't think this one has seatbelt alarms...

And you too, it was an incident free round trip in atrocious weather. Thankfully we made the right decision with the early start because the whole M25 going towards you was one big queue as we wafted along in a homeward direction. 

I am very pleased with my purchase, it may turn out to be a keeper if it behaves itself. :)

The place you recommended for a late breakfast was super, I didn't mention that I was gluten intolerant but when I asked for the full English without the sausage or toast the very nice young lady asked if I wanted extra bacon and mushrooms instead. A real bonus as I usually only get half a plate of food when we eat out. Well done Boston Tea Party, will call in again when passing.