For sale; 1977 Austin Princess barnfind

Holytoledo!

Evening all,

I have a barn find BL Princess 1800HL, in good solid condition available for sale, needs new tyres and reconditioning as well as a good clean!) turns over by hand but has been left in dry condition since 1991).

Really sold car, good, complete interior and a Webasto sunroof. Need the space so only looking for what it’s cost me, namely £420. On the Isle of Wight but looking for a new home to restore - not bantered. Anyone interested?

post-26296-0-16423300-1532460393_thumb.jpeg

post-26296-0-11262600-1532460425_thumb.jpeg

post-26296-0-28311000-1532460452_thumb.jpeg

post-26296-0-29393300-1532460482_thumb.jpeg

These are the projects you want, stored nice and dry, not fucked about with. An acquaintance is restoring an Ambassador VDP in that light metallic greeny blue colour. Looks fantastic, he is going the whole hog proper ground up resto which is great. Pointed him in the direction of getting repro Serck plates which would be period.

oh my, that is lovely, and if i'm not mistaken, its a proper base spec model?

i know its saya HL on the back, but,

i mean, that dash doesn't even have a piece of teak stuck over the top of it!

how glorious is that.....

Early HL models had the grey dash, my Dad had one.  And if it was base spec, it would have plastic seats not cloth.....and anorak off and relax....!

Thanks for the kind words all. This is a great project for someone. Very sound, could easily with work be put back on the road, an earlier and rare version in a rare colour and a webasto roof to boot. V5 and keys and it just needs someone with time to take her on. I need the space and have my heart set on a certain Kombi, so this needs to go to a good home and I’m only after what she has cost me. The interior is not the poverty spec but HL, so softer velour seats and as it’s a B-series version, it has the coloured plastic dash (only the 2200 version had the walnut dash and the O-series Princess 2). When was the last time you saw one- these are rare old beasts but I already have a Princess 2 and Ambassador!

Interested yes.  Yes very much.  Interesting colour, interesting spec, earlier model... many boxes ticked for me there.  Would make a fine companion in stock trim alongside my Princess 2.  Unfortunately, no new projects for me until at least next year because of impending mega house move dealie.  I want to ask a million questions about condition, etc. but I shan't waste your time because I'm in no position right now to take it on, as much as I'd like to.

Must be good.  Must be sensible.  Must avoid the temptation of cheap Princesses that keep appearing online when I'm *supposed* to be saving and downsizing to make the house move easier.

I'd love to see one of these built into the B Series Diesels that were a production possibility in the late 70's.

Didn`t  B L make a few diesel versions ? I have memories of driving 4 mates to Brighouse auctions in one in the late 70`s.

Vulg, if memory serves this Princess is a lot closer to where you are moving to than where you are living now.  I reckon that's a sign.  It's your destiny, etc.

It's true, Isle of Wight isn't far away from Kent at all, I could lug it back on a tow pole behind my Princess if I really wanted to (I don't want to).  We'll see what happens after the move... I mean, it would be an _ideal_ birthday/christmas present so perhaps I just need to drop some heavy hints about the place.