Has anyone used Northern Performance?

GHE

I have a diesel Shogun 2.5l, 2005 - use it for pretty much everything. It's OK but doesn't have enough power, especially when towing heavy trailers, so I'm thinking about getting the ECU re-mapped to increase torque. I'm in the Bradford area.

Northern Performance http://northernperformance.co.uk/ seems to offer the service I want, but I can't find any reviews for them, can anyone help with this, or is there another firm that you can recommend please?

I'm always a bit dubious of these outfits upping the horses and not uprating the rest. I had a remapped Mondeo diesel once, it went like bloke just out of prison in a whore house but it just didn't want to stop. A guy I worked with years ago had his Audi chipped by something like 40bhp, he wasnt having it serviced and running round on some 'loveyoulongtime radials'. No thought given to creating something balanced, just ultimate bhps and fuck all else.

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I went ahead and did it anyway, after carrying out more research and having a chat with the guy, who says all the right things.

It's a 3-man firm, he says that they cover a large geographical area and because of this, don't publish the address as they feel that this would restrict business from the more distant customers.

On the recommendation of John F, I also looked at another firm, seemed at first sight to be more professional but their website has a lot of knocking copy, which I personally don't like, plus typos, and I couldn't see any justification for paying twice as much.

The claimed improvement is 30 HP (from 115 to 145) and 80NM of torque (from 240 to 320). These increases are within the capacity of the engine and well within the capacity of the gearboxes, transmission and clutch, so should be fine as long as I don't drive stupidly. For me, it's about grunt, not speed.

Those who know me will understand, small farm in N. Yorkshire with very hilly roads, often towing heavy trailers.

I'm going to be on the farm next week, so will find out whether there's a real improvement or not, and will report back in detail in a few months, or if anything goes wrong.

Best of luck with it Garry... are they going to substantiate their claims with actual rolling road output?

That option was offered, but involved going to their unit to have it done, and I was too lazy...

And it seemed to me to be pretty pointless anyway, as I'm just after a bit more grunt, not trying to break the land speed record - even if the claim is exaggerated, e.g. only 40 NM instead of the claimed 80, it will still be 40 more than before I started.

To clarify the point I made earlier, i.e.

The claimed improvement is 30 HP (from 115 to 145) and 80NM of torque (from 240 to 320). These increases are within the capacity of the engine and well within the capacity of the gearboxes, transmission and clutch,

The same car is also available with a 3.2l engine, with 430NM, so my upgrade won't tax it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Did just under 500 miles in it last week, mixed bag motorway, main road, VERY rural roads, some with trailers on and some shunting with trailers off road, fairly typical of my usage.

Very substantial increase in performance. 2 reference points are

1. A very hilly, winding road that's basically just a series of sharp Z bends. Pre re-mapping, could just about manage 2nd gear on the most hilly turn, now it can almost but not quite do it in 3rd.

2. 0.3 mile stretch of road outside our farm, going up a 20% hill. Pre re-mapping, could reach 39 mph. I tried it last week, and it reached 57 miles an hour, it may or may not have done better but it was a single track road and I backed off, the speed limit may have allowed it, but common sense said otherwise :-D

Fuel consumption, full to full, shows 25.4mpg, which is almost identical to before.

So, so far at least, I'm happy with it.